KITE PARTY X ~ March 10th-11th 2012 Huntington Beach CA

Jynx

KITE PARTY X ~ March 10th-11th 2012 Huntington Beach CA

Postby Jynx » Thu, Nov 10 2011, 04:23 PM

Thought I'd start a little chatter regarding the upcoming March 2012 Kite Party X at Huntington Beach (seeing I haven't seen anything posted recently)...

Got it on my calendar...how about you IKE'rs!?
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

goestoeleven

Re: KITE PARTY X ~ March 10th-11th 2012 Huntington Beach CA

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Nov 10 2011, 05:02 PM

oooo . . . . :up: . . . .

Jynx, thanks for posting it . . .

I'm sitting here with lots of things going through my head, like -
1) It's time to start collecting the list of 2012 events & festivals
2) This event is just one weekend before the WCRC out in Long Beach, WA
3) Since I have to limit travel . . . how do I choose between TI, Kite Party, WCRC or maybe even South Padre . . . . or other festivals later in the year like WSIKF?
4) Or . . . . how do I convince the wife that I really need to go to several :twisted: You know, Huntington Beach and Long Beach really aren't that far apart, and I'd just have to stay out there a week instead of a long weekend . . . . :twisted: :twisted:

Option 4 is just a daydream . . . . but when I mentioned WCRC to my wife, her answer to me was "when do I get to go on a trip?" I don't have an answer to that one yet . . .

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Thu, Nov 10 2011, 09:02 PM

goestoeleven wrote:oooo . . . . :up: . . . .

Option 4 is just a daydream . . . . but when I mentioned WCRC to my wife, her answer to me was "when do I get to go on a trip?" I don't have an answer to that one yet . . .

Take her with! There are plenty of women who choose not to fly and do more of the shopping-kinda-thangs! ...and we don't fly 24-7! :wohow:

:-D I bet if she gives it a try she'd be more apt to join you (us) at more of the events!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Nov 10 2011, 10:23 PM

My wife doesn't fly kites ... has absolutely no interest in learning. But, she's always game to go to a kite festival. Once there, she spends time chatting with the other non-kite flying members. Or, she finds something in the local area that interests her and off she goes. Let's see ... zip lining and quad riding in Mexico; roller blading in Iowa; roller blading and bike riding in California; hiking and geocaching in Washington, Wisconsin, Michigan, California, Mexico, Iowa and Indiana are only a few of the activities she's done.

Surprise your wife and invite her to come also. She might like it!!!!

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Nov 10 2011, 10:48 PM

Oh, I could invite her, and she'd probably go along if we didn't have kids to manage. I think there's something about "get the kids to school / games / rehearsal etc." that means one of us has to stay home while school is in session. We don't have any family in the area, so we're in a bit less flexible.

She went to WSIKF with me & the kids last summer, and also to the Memorial Day festival in Milwaukee. We had a good time in Washington, especially since we visited Seattle and Olympic Natl Park before heading to Long Beach. The beach is always a good destination as far as my wife is concerned. However, this time I think she means "when do I get to go on a trip that a) doesn't involve the rest of you lot and b) doesn't involve traveling for one of your hobbies." So, I may have to bribe her . . . . commencing negotiations . . . .

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, Nov 12 2011, 01:40 AM

Here's the Official KITE PARTY X forum page on The Kite Connection Site:

http://www.kiteconnection.com/cgi-bin/u ... 003#000001 8-)

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sat, Nov 12 2011, 03:44 PM

Lynn didn't have any interest in flying kites either, but we all know what happened there don't we. :-)

See you at Kite Party.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Nov 14 2011, 11:47 AM

My schedule is yet to shake out. I'm sure I'll go to at least one of the winter festivals...Kite Party? Treasure Island? South Padre?

Definitely one at the least, just don't know for sure which one. And if there's any way I can do 2, I will try...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Nov 14 2011, 09:13 PM

From what I've heard at quick flys, I think several other IKE members (who haven't posted here yet) are thinking of trying for Kite Party as their first choice. TI seems to be second - I saw some posts related to it by IKE members over on the rev forums but not too much here. I don't know yet that I can get away with both . . . . . TI is easier for me because a) flights probably cost less and b) I have a place to stay at my dad's house (albeit an hour drive away). But if more people are going to Kite Party (and it seems to be very Rev-centric), then maybe I should go to that instead (if I have to pick just one).

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Nov 14 2011, 10:54 PM

Kite Party is a must ... we'll be there. TI was a blast ... need to find a room mate 'cuz the wife can't go. South Padre ... haven't thought about it yet.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 15 2011, 08:59 AM

I've been without internet access for a bit, hard to get wifi from a sailboat. But I'm baaaack.
I'm doing Kite Party for sure.
Probably doing TI too. I'll know before the end of the month and we can work on hotel sharing.

If you're on the fence and can only choose one, I would recommend Kite Party for sure. This will be their 10th anniversary and it should be better than ever.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Nov 15 2011, 10:15 AM

Yay!! Mike is back! It was getting quiet in here . . . . hope you had a great time on the sailboat. Did you bring the kites, and if so . . . when are we going to see pictures (and I haven't read all your new posts yet)?

Yep, talked about it with my wife last night. Her take was . . . . OK, pick one (because I already have a trip planned with the guys for the winter). Plus she wants a trip just for herself to get a vacation from ME! :-D So, I'm thinking KP X is the one (and then I'll try to sneak in TI when it gets closer). I'll probably work on some travel planning this week.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 15 2011, 03:11 PM

Great, KP X will be fantastic!
And believe it or not, I didn't take kites with me. Next time though, I plan on bringing a portable KAP rig of some sort.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Nov 15 2011, 09:34 PM

So here's a question - do people go early or leave late? You pretty much lose a whole day flying back east, unless you take a red eye flight back (and I don't like red eye flights). Sooo . . . . I'm thinking at least three days to make it worth the long flight. Any tentative travel plans or thoughts from the rest of the group?

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Nov 15 2011, 11:38 PM

I enjoy staying through Tuesday because they have a Huntington main street bazaar on Tuesday nights which I enjoy (unknown if this is still going on?)

Never-the-less, I make it a full-week vacation (Wednesday thru Wednesday) though in my experience, most fliers do Thursday thru Monday.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:20 AM

In my experience:
The Wednesday before will maybe have a couple local fliers on the beach. A few more on Thursday. Friday will have fliers showing up during the day.
Saturday & Sunday, lots of fliers. Monday will have fliers in the morning tapering off during the day to a handful in the evening.

I usually arrive on Wed and leave on Tues, though this year it will probably be something like Fri thru Wed.

The wind there is usually fantastic, so its worth getting there early even to fly on your own. You will find you are a better flyer with smooth beach wind.

The beach isn't crowded at that time of year, so there's plenty of space to fly on non-festival days.

For longer trips and with family members who don't fly kites:
Family members can rent a bike and ride the length of the beach and watch surfers. Or surf or boogie board.
Within a hours drive or much less: Dana Point to take a whale watching trip or check out the tidepools. High end shopping at South Coast Plaza. Disneyland. A nice aquarium in Long Beach. Nature Photography (birds) at Bolsa Chica. A longer drive to San Diego for Legoland, Zoo, Sea World etc. (or could fly into SNA and out of SAN).
If you fly into LAX: spend part of a day flying at Venice Beach with the colorful beach goers, and get home-made tamales at Tamara's.

If you're staying near the beach and don't need a car while you're there, I've been able to offer rides from SNA in years past. I''ll be staying with my in-laws in Laguna Hills.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Nov 16 2011, 05:46 PM

Mike -

Thanks for the info.

I absolutely agree that smooth beach wind makes for a great flying experience. I experienced that a couple times this year. It also helps that beach wind is often consistent at 10-15 mph, so you are flying a vented kite (smoother) and have plenty of wind to work the kite vs. fighting to keep it in the air.

I might take you up on that ride offer - does that apply even if the arrival and departure on different days than you?

So . . . hotel recommendations?

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Nov 16 2011, 06:42 PM

Rides: It actually works best if you don't arrive on the same day as me 'cause I'll be borrowing a car from my in-laws. I can pass the John Wayne (SNA) airport on my way to the beach. So if you arrive in the morning before Saturday, I can give you a ride. If you arrive late in the day, then I'd miss my time at the beach, so that's not so good. Jim Foster has also helped with rides before, but the same deal applies--arriving earlier in the day is better.
Rides to the airport: There's usually lots of people going back at the same time and you can hitch a ride with someone if not me.

Hotel:
Lots of people stay at the HoJos. It's is what it is, cheaper, but you'll need to catch a ride to the beach or time it when I can drive by. Which is early.

There are a couple nice hotels on the beach that are more expensive, but you just need to walk a short distance to fly. Especially the new one that's right across the street.

The Stephensons have talked about renting a house or two and piling lots of people in it. The house is within walking distance of the beach too. To check on their plans, we have to get them on the forum more. Or email or PM Anne.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Nov 16 2011, 08:15 PM

Right now, I'm thinking Thursday night to Monday afternoon, with a flight out of SNA maybe at 5 pm or something like that, which would mean leaving the beach at three or four in the afternoon. That way, I'd get back to Chicago by midnight or so on Monday, so I'd be able to work on Tuesday. I'd rather not get a car so that I can save on expenses. However, it may also be possible to split a car with some other folks and share rides if timing with you doesn't work out. If you don't get there until Friday, I can always post up on the Rev forum to see about ride shares to the hotel or beach. BTW, early morning is less of a problem for me when I'm on the west coast (at least the first couple of days before my internal clock resets). Of course, that depends on what you mean by "early."

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Nov 16 2011, 10:55 PM

A map for reference:

http://g.co/maps/8cth8
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Return to “2012 Kite Festivals”