Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/22-8/28?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
makatakam

Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/22-8/28?

Postby makatakam » Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:53 AM

Have a good week of flying -- let us know where you'll be.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 8/22-8/28?

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Aug 23 2011, 09:25 PM

Mark - thanks for starting the thread.

So far this week, no flying for me (yet). Thought about it today but did not make it out there. There's a remote chance I'll stop by Busse on the way home tomorrow night, but it will depend on when I get done at work (and I have to mow the lawn). Winds tomorrow look like out of the S/SW which is pretty good for Busse, if it's not storming. update: no flying for me today :(

Anybody up for a few hours of flying this weekend? Weather forecast is looking pretty good right now for Sat/Sun, sunny, high about 77 and winds in the 7-10 mph range.

Elix

Postby Elix » Thu, Aug 25 2011, 05:38 PM

Flew yesterday in some nice 15 mph winds. 2 wrap LE and 3 wrap verticals. Ahh, so much more responsive. Got some inverted practice time in too. Followed the official Rev instructions of launching from hover, holding, then landing if things get unstable. Then repeat. That helped keep me focused only on inverted flight and not chasing my instability all over the sky. Still searching for that sweet spot where I'm holding altitude without walking backwards or tugging and without flipping my tips

I gotta say I'm still wondering if I should have gone with a mid vent to smooth out the buffeting. I know all the usual responses. :-P Anybody got one they don't use?! :revspin:

As for this weekend, our family vacation has finally arrived. We're off to sunny coastal North Caroli... oh wait. I'm driving down to meet Hurricane Irene, hoping that our rented beach house is still there once the storm finishes. We'll be arriving about 4 hours after the eye of the storm passes about 50 miles off shore. Wish us luck, please! Had this vacation planned for 15 months and Momma Nature picks this weekend to start things up. :guns:
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Aug 25 2011, 06:06 PM

Bummer. I bet the beach won't be crowded though :)

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Thu, Aug 25 2011, 08:17 PM

And......Finding some wind will not be an issue. :jester:

I hope it works out for you!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Aug 25 2011, 08:34 PM

Yeah . . . you might want to plan on getting a different hotel for the night of your arrival. I'd suggest reserving a room right now well inland so that at least you have a place to stay. If Irene stays out to sea, you can cancel most hotel rooms by 6 pm day of arrival. Just don't forget to cancel . . . or they will charge you.

Oh yeah, by the way - glad you are getting out to fly. I still haven't put a kite in the sky this week.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Aug 25 2011, 10:04 PM

Sounds like you might need an extra vent. Take $300 more with you. If the hotel gets blown away, camp out and use the money you saved to buy the extra vent kite if the wind is still at 40mph, then use the $300 to buy your wife a lobster dinner every night to make up for having to camp out. That makes it a win, win, win.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Aug 25 2011, 10:55 PM

Flew today at Turner Park in Roselle, home-made "Mardi Gras" rev-like ul. Steady wind nnw at 1-2mph, excellent for fine tuning skills I don't have yet. Met a young lady while fishing the pond there. The fish weren't biting so I switched to flying. She was interested in learning and got in a little handle time on the home-made. I gave her the site info and she may join us at the next club fly or fest.

:up:
MARK

Elix

Postby Elix » Fri, Aug 26 2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the advice gang. You are all very wise! ;) Our vacation is now delayed (hopefully only) 24 hours thanks to a mandatory evac of the island. That means I'll miss out on the 40+ winds and the potentially very-low low tide as the wind would have been blowing off shore. Ah well, I'm just hoping the island still has power by the end of the day tomorrow.
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Aug 26 2011, 03:34 PM

Good luck!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Aug 27 2011, 09:34 AM

Does anyone want to fly in the Chicago area today or tomorrow?
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Aug 27 2011, 09:51 AM

makatakam wrote:Does anyone want to fly in the Chicago area today or tomorrow?

Yes. I've got some work I need to get done, but I can probably fly later today or tomorrow. I'm thinking today as the wind looks a bit better than tomorrow, but I'm flexible. I have to ferry my daughter to a couple things this afternoon (Saturday) at 12:30-1:00 and also around 4-6 pm, so my time window (and therfore driving radius) is a bit limited.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Aug 27 2011, 10:39 AM

Pick a spot and call me.

Flew today at Turner Park in Roselle, blk/red 1.5 sle and Mardi Gras 2.0 (calculated the area finally) rev-like ul and my home-made "Bikini Top". Winds were fairly steady at 5-10mph. Took pictures of these, finally, and so as I promised, I'm posting them. Hope you like.

NEW 020.jpg
NEW 020.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 2573 times

NEW 013.jpg
NEW 013.jpg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 2573 times

NEW 011.jpg
NEW 011.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Aug 28 2011, 11:49 AM

Glad you got out to fly. I tried for about 10 minutes at the local field, which is no good when the winds are out of the north due to the trees. I'd get a puff of breeze out of one direction, then it would die and come back 90-120 degrees away. Hard time keeping a full sail in the sky. So I packed up and went back to work . . . . it just goes to show that field choice can make all the difference. I think it was a great day for flying if you were in the right location.

Nice kites. Did you paint the mardi gras one recently or has it always been like that? I don't remember seeing it before.

And . . . last but not least, I think I may go to Greene Valley later this afternoon for a few hours of flying. That will remove all possibility of trees getting in the way. Mark - I will call you before I leave (assuming I get my work done).

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Aug 28 2011, 06:07 PM

Got in an hour and a half today at Greene Valley. Glad I was above the trees as the wind was a bit variable. Varied from close to nothing to 10-15mph. Solved that by setting up a vented on 120s and a full sail on 80s. I hadn't flown on the 80s in a while, and the kite looks big (and faster) when it's only 2/3 the distance. I think I need to take one of the 120 foot line sets and cut it down to a 40 foot line set or two just for fun. There was someone flying a power kite (foil) over on the other hilltop, but I did not get over there to talk to them before I had to leave.

As a side note, they've just mowed the top and the sides of the hill, so the flying was great with no line snags on weeds this week (unlike the club fly). Unfortunately, the top is not open during the week, only weekends, or I'd go back there on a weeknight. I won't be able to use it next weekend (Labor Day weekend) but just thought I'd share in case anyone else has plans to fly in Chicagoland. The weekend hilltop openings end in October, so that may be my last trip to Greene Valley for the season as there are a bunch of festivals on the weekends in September.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Aug 28 2011, 06:54 PM

The Mardi Gras has always been like that, I just don't think you've seen it before, Steve. Green and purple magic marker; planning to add gold or an orangey yellow to make it true Mardi Gras colors, just haven't found the right color yet in magic marker. Perhaps I'll go to Michaels and see if they have the color I want in the silk flower paint.

Flew at Busse Woods today, blk/red 1.5 sle, the Mardi Gras, the Phantom full-vent, E3 and Zephyr dual stunts, and a dual-line 1.7 Thunderfoil. Wind was the same as you had at Greene Valley, 0-15 and constantly changing direction. Gave the IKE site info to three people, perhaps we'll see them at some fests soon.

I am tired!!!! If you see mee pull more than 3 kites out of my bag in the future, kick me in the butt and remind me of today!!!!!! :wallb:

P.S. -- If you think the kite looks big on 80's, wait until you see it on 40's! Plus your wind window becomes really tiny, in about the same proportion that the size of the kite increases.
MARK

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Aug 28 2011, 07:54 PM

Had a fly today with Big Mike and Mikey & Shari in Champaign. We had nice winds on standard sails the whole time.
Also flew a bit with Bill and introduced his son-in-law Chris to the joys of 4 lines.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Aug 28 2011, 10:04 PM

makatakam wrote:The Mardi Gras has always been like that, I just don't think you've seen it before, Steve. Green and purple magic marker; planning to add gold or an orangey yellow to make it true Mardi Gras colors, just haven't found the right color yet in magic marker. Perhaps I'll go to Michaels and see if they have the color I want in the silk flower paint.

Sorry I missed flying with you today, Mark. Timing just didn't work out for Busse since I had to drop off and pick up my daughter in Naperville. If Michaels doesn't have what you need, you could try the Blick art supplies store. I think there's one in Schaumburg near Woodfield, and I bet they'll have every color magic marker you can possibly imagine (and some you didn't know could exist).

Mike wrote:Had a fly today with Big Mike and Mikey & Shari in Champaign. We had nice winds on standard sails the whole time.
Also flew a bit with Bill and introduced his son-in-law Chris to the joys of 4 lines.

Sounds cool. I hope to get to fly with you guys up at Two Rivers. Are you going to Mots and/or Dekalb the following weekend as well (in case I miss Two Rivers)?

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Aug 28 2011, 10:32 PM

More likely be at MOTTS. It is another fun fest. And it is fairly close, especially for you Steve, and Mark for that matter. I may be at DeKalb, I have friends close to there, but I hope to talk them into going to MOTTS instead.
Today was fun, we got in some good quality practice. I also got a good high quality sunburn on my face! OOPS. Sunblock is important!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Aug 29 2011, 09:21 PM

I'll see you at Mots. I thought 180GO! is doing demo's at DeKalb. I was planning to be at Mots on Saturday and DeKalb on Sunday since either is 1-1/2 hours away from Schaumburg.
MARK

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”