Who is flying what & where this week? 2011-7/3-7/9

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
goestoeleven

Who is flying what & where this week? 2011-7/3-7/9

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jun 30 2011, 10:22 PM

Hey everybody, I hope you all have a great weekend, and a great 4th of July. Due to other commitments, I won't be making the Milwaukee fireworks festival or the Indiana Dunes fly, and I'm not going to be around for Wendy to teach me how to power-kite-surf ;) , so I hope you all have good wind, great fireworks, and a happy weekend. My only set plan at the moment is the Forest Preserve Greene Valley kite demo on July 9th. Links to all the other threads related to this week's flying are here:

• Cat's Paw Power Kite W00t thread here. (I know this one is technically July 1, but I'm hoping for continued fun for her over the weekend and pictures for proof!)
  • Milwaukee Fireworks festival July 3rd here.
  • Elix brings the dark side to the Indiana shore July 2 & 3 here.
  • Forest Preserve Greene Valley kite demo July 9th here
If I missed anything . . . post away. Look forward to seeing some fun stuff here.

goestoeleven

Re: Who is flying what & where this week? 2011-7/3-7/9

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:44 PM

Hello everyone - I hope you all had a great 4th of July. Sunday was a bit lame for my flying - I got out late in the day and tried to fly a SUL on 120s, and it just wasn't happening as the wind here was too light and variable. I packed up after maybe 20 minutes, but it was some flying. Today was much better - variable winds, but a bit too much at times for the SUL on Mikey's 40s again. I had a great time and probably flew for an hour and a half or maybe a bit longer.

I've seen some other posts up on several of the other threads, so I think several people are having a good weekend!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 06:38 AM

Went to Milwaukee on Sunday, lame winds dwindling from 5-ish down to 0 by 5pm, people walking all over the roped-off area all day. Flew blk/red 1.5 sle, zephyr, and some home-made. Managed to have fun despite the "obstacles".
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 08:30 AM

makatakam wrote:Went to Milwaukee on Sunday, lame winds dwindling from 5-ish down to 0 by 5pm, people walking all over the roped-off area all day. Flew blk/red 1.5 sle, zephyr, and some home-made. Managed to have fun despite the "obstacles".

I was worried about what it would be like without the fence this year. How bad were the people in the flying area?
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Elix

Postby Elix » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 08:39 AM

No Flying for me Monday. Actually this whole week's forecast looks the same: 3-4mph winds. Curse you Zen for being above my price range!

I'm close to taking my 70' no-name, bulky kite lines and turning them into 20-30' lines. Maybe then their heft will have less impact, they'll serve a purpose, and I'll have a short line set to try out in these limp breezes.
Chris

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 08:56 AM

I'm tired of the low winds too. I want to teach a friend to fly, but I'm waiting until we have much better winds. I want her first try to be a good one.

Don't worry about the Zen. It's actually more about technique than the kite. Get some tips from another flyer about flying in low winds and that'll make much more difference than the Zen.
The problem with flying in light winds around here is not the low mph, but the constant changing of direction. On a low wind day, it's worth driving a bit further if needed to find a nice wide open field.
Flying in 4mph on a beach can be heaven, but 4mph in the Midwest is hard work!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 09:23 AM

Mike wrote:... Flying in 4mph on a beach can be heaven, but 4mph in the Midwest is hard work!

Truer words were never spoken ...

Cheers,
Tom

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:03 AM

I can fly anytime of day, Tue, Wed, Thu, anywhere within 1hr of Schaumburg, Il., single, dual, triple, or quad. If you can, call me at 847.340.0366
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Elix

Postby Elix » Thu, Jul 07 2011, 09:25 AM

With the continued dismal wind for the mid-west this week, and with a 75' LPG Gold set in my near future, I trimmed my no-name 70' lines down to 20' last night. Now at least I can work on some low/no wind skills in my front/back yard. Once I get a feel for the 20' range, I'll decide what to do with the rest of my no-name roll. I'm thinking either a 30 if 20 feels too close, or a 45-50 if 20 is good, and I want something between 20 and 75.

On a related note, arrgh, where's the wind gone? :soapbox
Chris

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Jul 07 2011, 09:41 AM

I can see a shadow of the wind this morning. Hoping for at least a little above 5mph to test out the latest basement creation.

Aim for a 50 foot set of lines. They're actually a very good compromise when the wind is low(er). Plenty of wind window, and yet, short enough for good feel.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jul 09 2011, 10:31 PM

Well, the week wrapped up with some variable wind flying at the top of Greene Valley. Good day today - David and I were at GV for an hour and a half or so, but I did not get in a lot of flying due to setup, un-setup, and talking to the Forest Preserve people and other kiting visitors to the hill. Mark was there, and like me he only flew for about and hour and a half (but I think he got to spend a bit more flying time) before he had to leave for work. Mike, Rose, Mikey, and Shari all drove up to DuPage for the fun. Nice to see y'all and thanks for coming up here! They stayed & flew a good part of the day (until it got too hot later in the afternoon). I hope they had a good time & think it was worth the trip (even though the flyable field is a bit on the small side). The upside is the height of the hill leads to a bit more wind than is typical for flat fields in the midwest. We also had a couple people take interest in flying revolutions, so if you are lurking here on the forum - hope to see you out there soon! Feel free to introduce yourselves!

I have a good excuse for leaving - my daughter's team won the local park district 5th/6th grade girl's softball tournament!! :-D

Later in the day, I managed to get in an hour or so on the Red/Black EXP on 120s, so between the midday flying and later, it was a good day overall.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Jul 09 2011, 10:53 PM

Flew every day this week, mostly at Busse Woods and Turner Park in Roselle. I'm liking the dependable winds at Busse more and more. Joined in the fun at Greene Valley (why do they call a 190 foot pile of garbage a "valley"?), tight area, good wind. Used to fly RC gliders, might give slope soaring there a try. Saw one guy there at the entrance to the parking lot outside the fence, but had to head to work, so I didn't stop to talk. Good seeing all of you there, I'm off from work Sunday thru Thursday this coming week, 7/10 thru 7/14. If anyone is interested in flying within a 100 mile distance of Schaumburg, Il., give me a call at 847.340.0366. I can fly any time of day.

:up:
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jul 09 2011, 11:07 PM

makatakam wrote:(why do they call a 190 foot pile of garbage a "valley"?)

Well, the rest of that Forest Preserve really is a valley - the majority of the forest preserve acreage is actually not the landfill. The landfill sits at the end / above the west ridge line of a couple small ridges running north/south, and the valley is between them. Four Lakes ski area (all 150 vertical feet or so) is about five miles north of that landfill on the same "ridge" line. It's really the valley that a branch of the DuPage river flows down, starting up north of Glen Ellyn and running down through Lisle and south. I mean, it's really not a big ridge, but in the flat plains of Illinois it counts. If you drive west on 75th street from I 355, you go down the east "ridge" at route 53, and the west "ridge" starts rising up at Greene Road (where you turn left to get to the hill). Most of the forest preserve is down in the valley between those ridges. You see the same valley when you drive down Butterfield between I 355 and Park Avenue, or Roosevelt between route 53 and Finley in Lombard. Route 53 follows a good part of the valley as well (with a few detours).

Anyway, I digress. Back to the topic at hand - glad you got in a good week of flying. I am impressed with the number of days! You might want to post your flight plans in next week's thread (which I just listed).

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”