Quick Fly Near O'Hare Or Skokie Lagoons?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Mamagotcha

Quick Fly Near O'Hare Or Skokie Lagoons?

Postby Mamagotcha » Fri, Mar 11 2011, 10:26 PM

Hello, new member here! I only have little dinky cheapo kites, but I've loved flying all my life and will someday treat myself to a Real Kite.

For now, though, I do have fun with the ones I've got, and I noticed that tomorrow is supposed to be both mild and windy. I saw that one member is flying tomorrow morning about 28 miles away from me, but I wondered if anyone else would be flying maybe a little closer to home.

I was considering taking my son for a bike ride up near the Skokie Lagoons (I live near O'Hare), so anywhere up around here would be great... or, even if you can't come, I'd love to hear any recommendations of favorite spots near O'Hare for us to go explore. I'm flexible regarding the time, but early afternoon would be ideal.

Many thanks and happy flying!

Katje

Jeff

Re: Quick Fly Near O'Hare Or Skokie Lagoons?

Postby Jeff » Fri, Mar 11 2011, 11:19 PM

Hi Katje,

I don't know of anything right by O'Hare, but there's some space at Busse Woods, and another large area in Glenview. Those are the two closest I can think of. You can see exactly where they are by clicking the Maps link up above in the bar across the top.

Welcome to the club, hope to see you at a club fly soon!
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mamagotcha

Postby Mamagotcha » Sat, Mar 12 2011, 08:58 AM

Thank you, Jeff! I can easily change the bike ride to Busse... we did some geocaching there last year and I remember a nice bike path. I appreciate the reply, and look forward to meeting you someday.

If anyone sees this late and wants to join us... I imagine we'll be there around noon to 2. My cell is 816-456-9014.

K

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 13 2011, 03:07 PM

Hi Katje,
welcome to the club! If you can make a club fly we're only to happy to share the kites we have in our bag, so you'll be able to try out some different kites.
Most club flies will probably require a a bit of a drive, but it's worth it! The next one will probably be further south, in Pontiac or Kankakee.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 13 2011, 03:12 PM

Katje.
I just looked at your profile: your hobbies sound like fun! When the wind dies down we've had some members juggling while waiting for enough wind for the kites to fly again. Many of us can do basic 3-ball stuff, so you can add to our repertoire and we can teach you sport kites. We also have knitters and board gamers in the club too.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”