June 19 -Summer Sol-a-Bration @Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
G Bates

June 19 -Summer Sol-a-Bration @Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park

Postby G Bates » Wed, Apr 07 2010, 04:49 PM

Members of I.K.E. are invited to participate in the Summer Sol-a-Bration 2010 on June 19at the Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park at Governors State University!

This new event will be held on the grounds of the Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park (http://www.govst.edu/sculpture) from 2-5 on the summer solstice. We'll have plenty of fun stuff to do and there will be a booth where kids can decorate and build kites! We'd love to have you come out and demonstrate your amazing skills. There are 105 acres with 26 sculptures ranging from small to monumental.

Contact the park at sculpture@govst.edu if you're interested or need more information.

The aerial photo is a view of the west section of the park and features an image of Paul, our 30' fiberglass figure representing Paul Bunyan.

Come on out!! Image

Mike

Re: June 19 -Summer Sol-a-Bration @Nathan Manilow Sculpture

Postby Mike » Thu, Apr 08 2010, 12:53 PM

*Bump*
Hey guys, anyone interested?

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Thu, Apr 08 2010, 10:09 PM

sounds like fun... just to see the sculptures... add kites and I am stoked... (have to consult the calender)

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Sat, Apr 10 2010, 09:52 AM

Sounds good. W're interested. I'll check if we could fly earlier. Maybe a club fly before the official start.

From their website:

Summer Sol-a-Bration
Saturday, June 19, 2010 (Raindate - Sunday, June 20)
2 p.m. - 5 p.m.

Wear your play clothes! Bring the entire family out for the Summer Sol-a-Bration 2010. We’ll have all sorts of activities for children and adults to enjoy on this year’s summer solstice, June 19, from 2-5 pm. Fly a kite! Build a sculpture! Compete in our Body Roll Derby! The day has been designed to celebrate the outdoors and our collection. Music will be provided by the Illinois Philharmonic’s Brass Quintet, the Prairie State College Jazz Band, and the South Suburban Dulcimer and Folk Music Society. Parking and admission is free. Some activities will have nominal fees. Mark your calendar and join the fun!

Good location. Very close to 1 University Parkway, University Park, IL 60484-0975 for Google and GPS.

About 1 hour from Chicago and 45 min from Kankakee.

The Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park can be reached from Chicago by taking the Dan Ryan Expressway (90-94) south to Interstate 57.
Continue on I-57 past Interstate 80 to exit 339.
Travel east at the end of the ramp and go right at Cicero Ave.
Travel south on Cicero to the first stop sign.
Turn left on Stuenkel Rd.
The entrance to the campus is on the right, about 200 yards after you cross railroad track

http://www.govst.edu/uploadedFiles/Scul ... _guide.pdf

Edited to add link to map pdf and directions
Last edited by RevJB on Sat, Apr 10 2010, 10:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.
John
:LogoRevAni:

G Bates

Postby G Bates » Thu, May 13 2010, 03:10 PM

hello IK Enthusiasts!
Can folks give me an idea of about how many IKE members/kite flyers might show up for our event? It would be great to be able to know who you were and then provide directions to where you might want to fly.
Looking forward to your particpation!!
Best Regards,
Geoff Bates
Director and Curator
Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park

akillip

Postby akillip » Sun, May 16 2010, 05:36 PM

If we get there early, say around 10 AM can we Fly all day. Just to make it worth the drive.

Tony Killip

G Bates

Postby G Bates » Wed, May 19 2010, 08:13 PM

You can absolutely come early. Set up will begin around 9 am and you are welcome anytime after 9. I can send out a map of the campus with parking, festival, and kite flying areas marked if you would like.

Festival runs from 2-5 and we'd love to have a group of you demonstrating/flying kites.

We'll be selling pocket sled kites that are made of tyvek for kids to decorate and fly, too.

Feel free to contact me at my office email address at g-bates@govst.edu or if you prefer to talk, call me at 708.534.4848.

Thanks for the interest - we look forward to seeing IKE members!

akillip

Postby akillip » Tue, Jun 15 2010, 06:12 PM

At present we plan on going and will fly what the wind and space will allow. But we will keep a close eye on the weather. Been rained out to many times already this year. We can't make the Sunday rain date. Any one else planning on going?

Tony Killip

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”