Did You Fly Today? - 26 October

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Jeepster

Did You Fly Today? - 26 October

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Oct 26 2008, 03:36 PM

Finally had a legitimate need for a vented sail with 4-wrap rods. The Peoria weather station was reporting winds of 24 mph with gusts to 32 mph when I headed out. Checked my chart and it said 4-wraps are good to 30 mph. After flying for three hours and with the winds picking up, I decided that the better part of valor was to quit. With the 1.5 Rev starting to act like a power kite and my arms stretched a few inches I'd had enough. When I returned home the weather station was reporting 24 mph winds with gusts to 42 mph.

The fun part was my son came along with me to fly for the first time. He now has a lot more respect for what's happening in the iQuad videos. Actually he did quite well. Having a correctly set up kite is a real plus ... correct setup really needs to be emphasized with newbies. Mike S. did that for me when he handed me the controls to his kite ... took me several weeks after that to understand how to correctly set up the handles.

Sorry make this sound like a blog, but I'm really pumped today. The smile on my son's face was great and I'm exhausted from fighting the wind ... what could be better?

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Re: Did You Fly Today? - 26 October

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 26 2008, 04:03 PM

I saw the howling winds and chose not to fly today.
It did make me think about making a super vented rev though.
Maybe something along these lines? This kite was made by the Englishman known as Jonesey.

I think I would make it all screen and then add duct tape until it flew as I liked.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Oct 27 2008, 01:22 PM

Out again today (Monday) and the winds were pretty consistent at 15 to 20 mph ... sure didn't have to worry about my lines going slack. In fact, I'm sure all the stretching has been taken care of on the 120 foot line set. The wind window on 120 foot lines with the higher winds is awesome. Probably about 160 degrees of swing near the ground and straight up overhead was easy to achieve.

Jgrob came out with his new vented kite. Talked him into setting his handles up with more brake ... he's flying pretty good.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 27 2008, 01:46 PM

Sounds like good fun Tom.
Bet jgrob was happy to have a vented kite today!

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”