Madison, KOI Anniversary

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
BANSHEE

Madison, KOI Anniversary

Postby BANSHEE » Fri, Jan 25 2008, 04:37 PM

I just received this info today and I know you boys and girls are always looking for an excuse to fly.

Dear Kite Fliers,
It has been 3 years now since the last Kites on Ice event took place and I keep seeing images of the event show up in print and on the Internet and frequently hear people talking about and asking about Kites on Ice.

To make matters interesting, the Capitol Square Sprints cross country ski race event, which is in its fourth year and under the new name of Madison Winter Festival has invited kiters to come and fly kites. They have expanded their event to include more winter activities and are looking to expand even further in the coming years. Discussions are now underway about developing and facilitating a future partnership that could potentially breath life back into KOI.

So in honor of what would have been the tenth year of KOI lets get together and fly some kites on the ice in front of Monona Terrace and see what happens.

Please spread the word and join us from 12-5 on the ice Saturday, Feb 2.

If you are planning to come please let Craig Wilson know at kitecam@juno.com

The Madison Winter Festival event manager will include our activity in his interviews and press releases if we can get some folks to commit to coming.

Craig Wilson
Last edited by BANSHEE on Fri, Jan 25 2008, 04:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Mike

Re: Madison, KOI Anniversary

Postby Mike » Fri, Jan 25 2008, 06:57 PM

Kites on Ice was a great, world class, festival. It was huge and they brought people from around the globe to fly.
They had indoor workshops at the convention center as well as stuff going on outdoors.
I flew outside a little, but mostly did indoor stuff because it was so dang cold. But it's worth thinking about going to fly to help them out.
It's a 4 hour drive for me, so I'd probably have to do a hotel. hmmmmmm

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Jan 26 2008, 10:44 PM

I am planning on heading up there on the 2nd. Craig had a great event that fell victim to the way it was run by others. He deserves a second chance and our support.
Alan Sparling

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Jan 26 2008, 10:48 PM

Mike wrote:I flew outside a little, but mostly did indoor stuff because it was so dang cold.

Those of us that flew outside all day had a name for those that mostly stayed inside: Workshop Weenie!
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jan 27 2008, 06:31 AM

Warm Workshop Weenie! :-D

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Mon, Jan 28 2008, 03:12 PM

Still a weenie.

Think MAKR 2010

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 28 2008, 04:41 PM

What can I say? I'm still a Southern California boy at heart.

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Tue, Feb 05 2008, 11:53 PM

Well...I'll have to admit that I was a "leaker" & didn't head down to the fly in Madison this past weekend as planned. Sorry!! Good excuse though...my 'new' kitemobile was still at the repair shop undergoing some major surgery ($$$$). Still don't have it back yet :(

There appeared to be little to no wind to work with on Saturday anyways (plenty of additional snow fall however). So this guy isn't gonna feel too guilty 'bout not being there.

Happened across the following article, thought the rest of you might be interested in checking it out as well: Madison kite fly

By the way...did anyone from this forum make it to the fly on Saturday??? Who all was there? From the few photos I've seen online...it didn't look like much.

"get high on kites"

Jeff Hale
Last edited by SkyWalker on Wed, Feb 06 2008, 12:01 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 06 2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks for posting the article. I was also wondering if anyone from here went.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Wed, Feb 06 2008, 08:48 PM

I spent two hours trapped on I 39 14 miles from the event, a major accident a couple of hundred yards ahead of me. When I finally got to the event the wind was dieing, there had been wind for a couple of hours......

We will leave it at that.
Alan Sparling

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Fri, Feb 08 2008, 12:09 PM

Al

Sorry to here that we were going to head up there and heard all the bad report of the roads so change our plans.

Have a good one
Thanks
Dave
www.chicagokite.com

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Sun, Feb 10 2008, 07:44 AM

IT WAS A GREAT TIME HAD BY ALL. THE WINDS WERE NICE WHILE THEY LASTED, OF COURSE WHEN EVERYONE WAS PICKING UP SO DID THE WINDS. THE AFTER FLY WENT WELL WITH PIZZA AND BEER.
THANKS CRAIG FOR ORGANIZING THE FLY.

BANSHEE

Think MAKR 2010

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”