Jeff

Re: Two Rivers-Labor day weekend.

Postby Jeff » Mon, Sep 05 2011, 10:45 AM

Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 05 2011, 08:54 PM

The wind was really crazy. 0 - 20 mph and back to 0 in the space of a routine.
On one routine we did, we had nice wind as Ann was announcing us, and I called an opening move to the team. The music started, I started into the air, and the wind dropped. There wasn't enough wind to hold the kite in the air and we needed movement to keep the kite in the sky so I quickly changed the move. As we creeped around the sky, the wind decided to change to a big gusty wind. I think I bruised my thumbs applying enough brake to keep the kite from zooming away. Then the wind gusted higher and pulled Rose off her feet. But she stayed in formation. The I was pulled to my knees. I brought the kites lower to the ground hoping the wind would be lighter and called for the kites to slide across the window.
David looked over at Rose and I being dragged across the sand and was confused. He didn't know if I wanted him to slide in the sand (like Rose and I), or slide the kite!

During the routine that Jeff posted, not only did the wind gust up and down, it also shifted to the right near the end of the routine. During that bit of the routine 3 of the kites are on the ground and we slide over one at a time and add another kite to the stack. But we couldn't slide over to the get to the kite on the left anymore and that kite had to just kind of jump up and fake getting into line.

Many times during the day one of the teams performing would run out of room to backup and the DJ would just fade the music and make it the end of the routine. The goal was often just to stay in the air for the duration of the song. Unless you were young Zach Gordon. He did three 360's in one of his routines!

The joys of flying in the Midwest :)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Sep 05 2011, 09:29 PM

A Facebook video from near the end of the day...it's set to Public, so anyone can see it...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150770397625184

IKE is on Image too!

Shari

Postby Shari » Tue, Sep 06 2011, 07:22 PM

OK this is a guess but this is a link to my Facebook Pictures that were taken at KOLM 2011.... :poop hope it works! :-D
Last edited by Shari on Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Sep 06 2011, 09:08 PM

Nope ... didn't work for me.

Sorry,
Tom

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Sep 06 2011, 09:15 PM

Shari wrote:OK this is a guess but this is a link to my Facebook pictures that were taken at KOLM 2011.... :poop hope it works! :-D

As it is it will only work for people that are your Facebook friends and are logged in. There is a setting to make the album public if you wish so that anyone can view the pictures.

IKE is on Image too!

Shari

Postby Shari » Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:15 PM

Ok this is a 2nd try.... I think my URL link on the original post was wrong. The yellow link is the updated version on my previous post.

Return to “2011 Kite Festivals”