Maumee Bay Sate Park - July 15,16,17

cadguy

Maumee Bay Sate Park - July 15,16,17

Postby cadguy » Tue, Jul 12 2011, 10:11 PM

Just a quick note about an event I'll be at this weekend (July 15,16,17) formerly known as "North Coast Stunt Kite Games", formerly put on by the Black Swamp Airforce kite club. Now under new "management" beginning this year.
Maumee Bay State Park - Oregon, OH (just east of Toledo on Lake Erie) Basically it's a fun fly/kite party/no schedule/type of gathering with cool kite people.

... From Kevin Kilgore (Black Swamp club) .... "Someone once said, " All good things must come to a end " And after much discussion within the Swamp, we have decided that 2010 was the final North Coast Stunt Kite Games.

No more jumbo circus tent, no more on field dinner and no more auction. But we still have cabana row, the music, and most of all our friends.

We will probably still have the Friday night pot luck, haven't decided what to do about dinner on Saturday.

But not all is lost, there still will be a fly the third weekend in July. The Friends of Maumee Bay, in conjunction with the state park are taking over the event now to be know as Kite Day at the Bay.

It will still be a 3 day fly, Friday will still be just a casual day of flying for the early bird kite campers, then Saturday will be Maumee Bay Kite Day, we will still have the field, but will also be sharing it with average park goers. Then Sunday will be just causal flying again.

The Friends will be selling lunch and drinks on the field.
Hope to see you all there."

Road trip anyone??

goestoeleven

Re: Maumee Bay Sate Park - July 15,16,17

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jul 13 2011, 12:02 AM

Would love to be there but . . . . the wife has already "anchored" her honey-do list for the weekend which includes installing a backup sump pump and painting the daughter's room. From the satellite pictures, that beach looks like a GREAT location to fly. Maybe next year (or maybe a fall retreat)! Post up some pictures after the weekend.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jul 13 2011, 08:23 AM

Do you camp or hotel it?

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jul 13 2011, 10:02 AM

I'll bet he does it as a day trip! :-D

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Wed, Jul 13 2011, 09:03 PM

Mike: my dad is about 35-40 min. away so I'll most likely just stay at my dad's.
Steve: no, not a day trip this time. I'm taking a 1/2 day Friday to get there by 3:00

the wind forcast is still looking very light.

Return to “2011 Kite Festivals”