July 3rd, 2011: Milwaukee Fireworks Kite Festival (Changes)

Jynx

July 3rd, 2011: Milwaukee Fireworks Kite Festival (Changes)

Postby Jynx » Mon, Jun 13 2011, 12:37 PM

Scott Fisher would like to invite 180GO and all IKE members to the July 3rd Fireworks Kite Festival at Veterans Park (Milwaukee) on Sunday, July 3rd.

Scott will supply meal tickets and parking passes for those who attend and will be participating in the fly. If you are planning on attending please let me know (reply) with your name and address and I will make sure you get a parking pass.

(However FYI)... There are changes to the event... : (

Bank One, who is sponsoring the fireworks, has chosen to have the fireworks fired from a barge, rather than the on-land display as in the past. Therefore, there will be NO chain-link fencing dividing the kite field from the spectators. Scott will be roping-off a fly area and has asked the kiting participants to self-police the area. He said the area will be large and will most likely be situated on/at the normal kite-fests (west) performance field area. So...the kiters will be surrounded by spectators, separated by a roped area including "warning - stunt kites" signs. This will obviously impact the/our past fest routine, the previous up-front seating, and viewing of fireworks. We are permitted to set-up in the kiting field area and can remain there for the fireworks show.

I'm sure it'll be fun but I wanted to make sure those attending were informed of these changes.

Please contact Scott Fisher (or me) if you have any questions.
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Re: July 3rd ~ Milwaukee Fireworks Kite Festival (Changes)

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 14 2011, 03:01 PM

Who's thinking of going?
For me, it's a long drive and the cost of gas + hotel is causing me to lean towards "maybe next year."

My concern is that people wont respect the boundaries set up for the kiters. The spectators camp all day to get a good spot for the fireworks and they may not appreciate a large roped off area reserved for a dozen kiters. Especially after they've been drinking for a bit.

I could be totally wrong, it's just a guess on my part.

If I lived within a couple hours of Milwaukee I would go. It's not much of a gamble. If it doesn't work you can always just head home. If it does work out, you have a great time flying kites during the day and really good fireworks show in the evening.

So who's up for trying the new format?

goestoeleven

Re: July 3rd, 2011: Milwaukee Fireworks Kite Festival (Chan

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jun 14 2011, 03:26 PM

Well, I'd try it . . . except we have different plans already made for this year that involve another family and I can't miss that. Maybe next year for me.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Jun 14 2011, 11:07 PM

Sorry for raining on our parade... BUT I didn't want anyone "surprised" (disappointed) when they got here!

These changes were made by US Bank who sponsors the event and the Milwaukee County Parks (fencing)... Scott had nothing to do with the changes and will do his very best to accommodate the fliers that attend.

[/hr]
FYI ~ Milwaukee news report:

"After more than 30 years the Bartolotta family will not be putting on the 4th of July fireworks on the lakefront. It's not clear tonight why that tradition has been broken, neither side would say.

But when you think about the July 3rd fireworks on Milwaukee's lake front, one family name comes to mind. "Bartollota," said Levi Johnson. When told the Bartollota's would not be doing this year's show, Johnson said: "Ah, that would be disappointing.

The Bartollota family has been doing the fireworks show for three decades. It's a must see tradition for Lori O'Gorman's family. She's disappointed with the change. "It's very sad," said O'Gorman. "It's been a tradition for so long."

The Bartollota's issued a statement saying matching budgets and sponsors expectations are always a delicate balance act. The family says U.S. Bank went with an out of state company.

U.S. Bank is down playing the change saying the fireworks show is "our gift to the region and we needed a partner going forward that could make the show even bigger and better in the future. That means the show will go on, but loyal fans like Kim Eigner are skeptical, "I hope that it will be as wonderful as it has been all these years, it's a little disappointing though."

U.S. Bank says it's not cutting back on its budget for this year's show. Bartolotta plans to pursue the show in 2012".

[/hr]
Hopefully it'll work out for those of us who attend! ...I'm crossing my fingers for Bartolotta's return next year!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 15 2011, 07:54 AM

[quote="Jynx"]
I'm sure he will. Scott always takes good care of IKE members when they attend his events.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Jun 28 2011, 12:12 PM

FIREWORKS Kite Festival ~ July 3rd 2011 ~ Milwaukee WI

IF there are fliers planning on, or interested in, attending... Please contact me or Scott Fisher ASAP for details (etc.)

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Tue, Jun 28 2011, 12:17 PM

Jynx,

Our family will be there. Four plus possibly two grandparents.

Please let me know about parking.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
John
:LogoRevAni:

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 29 2011, 08:28 AM

Anyone else going? It's been a great fireworks show in years past.
It'd be nice to get photos and a report after the event.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Jun 30 2011, 09:31 PM

I'm 90% sure I'm going to be there, depending only on the weather.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Shari

Postby Shari » Thu, Jun 30 2011, 09:49 PM

Mikey and I are not gonna make it up there this year. But I hope that everyone has a great time and Happy 4th to you all!!!!
:juggle it's not quite fireworks but it was the closest I could find! :-D

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jul 01 2011, 08:03 AM

:fireworks:
There ya go! (It's on page 3 of the smilies now)

Happy 4th (3rd?) y'all!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:51 AM

Sooooo
Any photos? A report? How was it?

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 02:12 PM

Mike wrote:Sooooo
Any photos? A report? How was it?

First of all I want to Thank all who attended... Mr. Wind promised to be there but was a No-Show! :censored:

I posted some "kiter attendee" photos on Facebook (unfortunately void of any actual in-air "kite" photos) :cry:

No wind BUT we had plenty of Meet 'n Greet fun anyway! :up:

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 05 2011, 08:41 PM

Too bad about the wind. I think the whole Midwest has been missing wind.

Return to “2011 Kite Festivals”