2010: May 21 Grand Haven, MI (Great Lakes Kite Festival)

Darkspark

2010: May 21 Grand Haven, MI (Great Lakes Kite Festival)

Postby Darkspark » Fri, May 06 2011, 10:35 PM

I have been considering going to Gran Haven this year and had a couple questions if anyone can volunteer some answers.

Is there room for general public to fly? Or will I be mostly be a spectator?
Is anyone else considering going who might be interested in sharing a room Friday, and maybe Saturday night?
And what hotel would be good?

I am thinking of heading up Friday morning, and staying through sat afternoon if anyone is interested in carpooling. Shari has a plans so I will be solo. :cry:

Jeepster

Re: Gran Haven

Postby Jeepster » Fri, May 06 2011, 10:57 PM

It's a little tight near the demo area, but if you're willing to walk down the beach a little there is plenty of room. Two years ago three of us crowded down in the corner of Ben's teaching area. Last year they made the teaching area too small and we finally had to quite flying there at about three in the afternoon 'cuz of too many people.

We've been staying in the Best Western ... ask for a room in the new area. For a resort town, the hotel choices are not good.

Jo and I will be going up on Thursday and returning on Sunday.

Glad you're thinking/planning on going.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, May 07 2011, 08:44 AM

It's been a few years since I've been there, but I've been many times.
The beach is empty on Friday, it's just the serious kiters on the beach. It's the best day to fly and hang out with the "pros". Friday night is the indoor fly--if there's enough indoor fliers available.
Saturday and Sunday can be crowded if the weather is warm. What I used to do was get to the beach early (early enough that I had free parking on the street) and lay out kites and kiters to mark the territory between the Rev demo field and the water. As long there were kiters flying, that worked fine. That means you have to take turns going on walk-abouts. There used to be half a dozen or more rev fliers there so it wasn't a problem.
I would encourage you to try and plan to leave on Sunday if possible. You never know what the weather is going to be like and some fliers usually stay until Monday.
I agree with using the Best Western. Book now if rooms are still available, you can always cancel and get your money back later.
I'd say there was a 50-50 chance that I'll be going.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, May 07 2011, 12:01 PM

:v: Looks like all the questions have been answered... I too will be attending... hope to see more IKEers on the beach!

The more fests I attend, the more I enjoy simply hub-nubbing with those I seldom have a chance to see! (I can always fly back home!)
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, May 07 2011, 05:53 PM

Quick note on the Best Western ... on line it showed that they were booked up ... called directly and got two rooms. Jamie and his family are staying over Friday and Saturday night.

Cheers,
Tom

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sat, May 07 2011, 08:45 PM

Got a room also, Booked it for Friday and Saturday night. Looks like a nice location for a fest, Close as us Midwesterners can get to an ocean breeze. Looking forward to it. :revspin:

grigorib

Postby grigorib » Sat, May 14 2011, 07:31 PM

I'll be travelling from Champaign on 5/20 and I have a room in Days Inn booked till 5/22.
If anyone is interesed in sharing the ride and room let me know.

grigorib

Postby grigorib » Tue, May 17 2011, 10:20 AM

I've never been to the event and I have few questions:
1. How does parking work there - are there spots near the beach, how much they charge?
2. Is there going to be the "IKE sector", I just don't want to hang out by myself...

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, May 17 2011, 10:35 AM

grigorib wrote:I've never been to the event and I have few questions:
1. How does parking work there - are there spots near the beach, how much they charge?
2. Is there going to be the "IKE sector", I just don't want to hang out by myself...

There is limited free parking on street and in a small lot south of the main area. You need to get there early to claim one of those spots. There is a large parking lot right at the event that is paid parking. Day passes are $8 and annual passes are $29 ... good for all Michigan State Parks.

For the most part we just hang out in the same place. Look for a group of red shirts.

See you there!

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 17 2011, 07:24 PM

Jeepster's got it right. I'll just add that there's usually a contingent of Rev fliers near the Rev demo area.

Shari

Postby Shari » Sat, May 21 2011, 06:53 PM

I made it to grand haven. hope to se you there.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, May 23 2011, 09:01 AM

If you missed Grand Haven this year you should be ashamed of yourself. The winds were light, but flyable, on Friday and Saturday. Sunday brought out the full and mid vents with really smooth winds most of the day. A little rain at 4:00pm on Saturday was the only negative the whole weekend. But, Mother Nature got the rain out of her system in time for the night fly.

The show kite folks had some new kites and new displays in the air. Saw two different KAP photographers go by, so please watch for any of those pictures to show up on the web.

There were about a dozen IKE members there. Mikey made sure his kites were extra clean by playing in the water most of the weekend. Dave made it an official Grand Haven Festival by breaking a rod ... boy is he getting good at it!!! Donna brought two new kites ... a ten foot spiky ball she just completed and a dragon quad. She says the dragon quad is a handful to fly. Most of us flew down at the end of the Rev training field until the crowds became too much late in the afternoon. The water was a little lower than in past years, so we had a larger beach area.

Do put this one on your list for next year!!!

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Mon, May 23 2011, 03:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Darkspark

Re: 2010: May 21 Grand Haven, MI (Great Lakes Kite Festival)

Postby Darkspark » Mon, May 23 2011, 01:04 PM

I am with Tom on this one. One of the funnest festivals I have been to. Had room to fly most of the time. And for the record, I was just cleaning the tips of my kites. Really nice weather, got to meet a few new fliers and IKE'rs. Was nice meeting Ant and Kathy. I handed out 20+ IKE cards so hopefully we will get a couple new members. Fun Mega-Fly to wrap up the fest. Fun Fun Fun! :revspin:-Mikey

mojomark

Postby mojomark » Mon, May 23 2011, 04:38 PM

Darkspark wrote:I am with Tom on this one. One of the funnest festivals I have been to. Had room to fly most of the time. And for the record, I was just cleaning the tips of my kites. Really nice weather, got to meet a few new fliers and IKE'rs. Was nice meeting Ant and Kathy. I handed out 20+ IKE cards so hopefully we will get a couple new members. Fun Mega-Fly to wrap up the fest. Fun Fun Fun! :revspin:-Mikey

I was one of those people that got a card from Darkspark. Really enjoyed meeting and chatting. Thanks for the helpful information. (I am the one who was borrowing bro-in-law's older 1.5 SLE) Ended up buying it from him last night. What were you suggesting I buy for a leading edge? I know we talked B-series vented as a 2nd kite)

Thanks again for your time and for sharing your knowledge.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Mon, May 23 2011, 07:57 PM

Welcome to the forum and IKE. And congrats on your first Rev. Welcome to the darkside, as a few other people on here would tell you.
You will want to get a 3-wrap leading edge. Call any kite dealer and tell him you need a 3-wrap leading edge for a 1.5 rev. The 1.5 is the size of the kite, and all the variations use the same size spars.
I am glad you had a good time at the fest, a big part of the fun is meeting new people and getting them interested in kiting. If you have any other questions just ask.

Ant

Postby Ant » Mon, May 23 2011, 08:18 PM

I did a small mention elsewhere but just wanted to reiterate what a fantasticly warm welcome Kathy & I had from all the Ikers especially Dave, Mikey (thanks for the stake!), Jinx, Tom and all the others we spoke to including Ben and the guys from iQuad.

We had a truely great time - managed to fly our vented B's for the first time in the states (2nd trip we've brought them, totalling nearly 6 weeks on the road!) and I finally got to fly my light rig on saturday night too (I've had that about a year now).

The icing on the cake was joining in the mega-fly after a perfect day of blue skies and strong steady winds - I didn't mess it up too bad :)

We were back down the beach on monday morning - how different! We were out in shirts & fleeces, and that was until it started raining, so we headed back off in the car. By the time we stopped for lunch the blue sky was back so we spent the afternoon flying again at Holland State park :)

We've got loads of pictures and video which I shall post up once we get back to the UK (If Iceland is going to let us get home... :shock:

Ant

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, May 23 2011, 08:28 PM

Mopjomark,

Welcome to the forum.

Please post a quick note in the "Introductions" section of the forum. Tell us about yourself ... interests, where you live, kites you own, etc. You might find folks who live near you and share your interests. Plus it helps us when putting together a club fly.

Cheers,
Tom

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Mon, May 23 2011, 09:37 PM

Something kina funny....
I just did a quick search for news of the fest, and the local newspaper had a video. I clicked on the link and the picture on the screen is David's back and mine. It was a fest preview from friday. It was only a two second clip but it ended on us. I think I am gonna have to get an agent :lol:

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/conten ... ark-friday

hopefully this link works.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, May 23 2011, 09:53 PM

Yea, David kept jumping in front of the camera ... check out the first two seconds of the top video in this thread over on GWTW.

Cheers,
Tom

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Tue, May 24 2011, 08:38 AM

Mopjomark,

Welcome to the forum. Wish we could have made it up to the festival it is a Great One! Have always enjoyed it. Hope to meet you soon.

Mike S.
www.thekitesite.net

Return to “2011 Kite Festivals”