Earth Day Kite Festivals

Mike

Earth Day Kite Festivals

Postby Mike » Tue, Feb 22 2011, 10:14 AM

Illinois usually has quite a few small kite fests on Earth Day. That's Saturday, April 16 this year.

There's one in Oswego that IKE often attends and I've been contacted by the city of Monee about one they have too.
So that's one on the east side and one on the west side. Maybe we can split our attendance?
Chicago Kite has been at both fests in the past, but I think they're concentrating their efforts at Kansas City festival now.

Here's some info about the Monee event:
... called "Celebrate Air: Go Fly a Kite!". It will be held on April 16, 2011 from 10am-2pm at the Monee Reservoir. It is a fun event held to promote people to get outdoors and recreate, specifically by flying kites. Last year we had around 300 people throughout the day. We generally have a kids craft, bubbles, music, frisbees, and people bringing their kites to fly for fun. We try to tie in some science behind the importance of clean air and talk about wind energy and that sort of thing in honor of Earth Day. We would be interested in having one or 2 sport kite demonstrators out to our event if possible.... I am including the link to our website which tells you more about our preserve, which is a really nice spot, especially in the spring...
http://www.reconnectwithnature.org/visitor-centers/mr

The fest is here: http://goo.gl/maps/aO8j
I don't imagine that there will be a roped off area, so someone who likes to interact with the peoples is good. :)
There's a little gas money available to sweeten the pot, so contact me if you're interested.

Right now, I'm thinking I may go to Monee as it's easier for me to get to than Oswego.

Darkspark

Re: Earth Day Kite Festivals

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Feb 22 2011, 01:48 PM

I would be interested in going to Monee. It is only 20 minutes from my house. As long as something else doesn't come up, can't speak for Shari but she would probably go with me.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Feb 24 2011, 09:46 AM

I'd rather be with more people than have to split up. Oswego has dwindled down to nearly nothing the last couple years. Is there a compelling reason to even go there if there's a place that actually asked us to come?
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Thu, Feb 24 2011, 03:13 PM

Chicagokite Will be in Monee And in Kansas> That weekend Chicagokite always takes care of local Events First. We too Split our Resources! :up:

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:45 PM

Hey y'all,
I'm committing to Monee. It's a small fest, but I'd like a minimum of 3 IKE fliers, including me, to attend for the 4 hour festival.
It'd be nice to have 4 Rev fliers for some team stuff. Chicago Kite usually has some SLKs in the sky, but the more the merrier and the prettier the sky if folks want to fly those. Depending on the turnout, a candy drop and bol races are a possibility too.

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Wed, Mar 02 2011, 05:56 PM

Count me in. After looking at the map/park, I hope there will a posibility to fly over/in the pond, hehe.

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Wed, Mar 02 2011, 08:10 PM

I won't be able to make either. I'll be being paid for going to a choir rehearsal (yesss living the dream... :-) )

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Mar 02 2011, 08:29 PM

I'll be there, been down in Florida this week and had a chance to fly twice on the beach. I am ready to go!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 02 2011, 09:35 PM

Cool, this will be fun (and cool for you too Rose).
I'm working on getting some Bols for Bol races. If y'all are cool with it, I'll use the gas money to buy Bols first and then see what's left over.
The park district will supply lunch of some sort for us.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Mar 03 2011, 07:10 PM

I'll come for the Monee fest. I was there last year and it was very nice. It's a rather small area, but it's very beautiful there (and the people who run the place are very nice). :mrblue:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Mar 08 2011, 07:58 PM

Looks like Monee is the place to be . . . . we might make it, but it will depend some on what else we have going on that weekend.

We will be attending the Wheaton Kite Festival on the 17th for sure as I'm taking the cub scouts there for one of our den meetings . . . with kites they will build the week before.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Mar 08 2011, 10:20 PM

goestoeleven wrote:
We will be attending the Wheaton Kite Festival on the 17th for sure as I'm taking the cub scouts there for one of our den meetings . . . with kites they will build the week before.

What a GREAT idea/project! :up: Kudos to you!!!!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Apr 15 2011, 11:13 AM

So the kids have a birthday party tomorrow, and I'm free to go to Monee. The weather is looking iffy right now, although there should be wind, there's also a 50% chance of rain. But of course, that means a 50% chance of dry too. :P

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 15 2011, 01:05 PM

I'll be there at 9am, rain or shine :)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Apr 15 2011, 07:58 PM

I'll have to take a good look at the situation in the morning. If it looks like a washout, I've got other things to do around here if I can't fly...Hopefully it will be clearing up early enough. Looks like more rain early in the day than later.

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Apr 21 2011, 10:25 PM

Well, we had drizzling rain most of the day but we also flew most of the day anyway and had a good time. There was even an audience that came out in the chilly wet weather. Pretty cool.

If anyone borrowed a 180GO! radio and left in a jacket pocket, please email me.

Saturday is the Decatur festival. A good place for SLKs especially.

Return to “2011 Kite Festivals”