Kite Party 9 Roll Call -- Mar 12-13, 2011

Mike

Re: Kite Party 9 Roll Call -- Mar 12-13, 2011

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 06 2011, 08:57 PM

I saw a photo of you and Lynn and was a bit jealous. See you soon at HB

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Tue, Feb 08 2011, 10:59 PM

Hello Amigos! Guess what? :( :( :( Like the song goes: "So close and yet so far".
I am not attending "KITE PARTY" :(
But I will be flying my redesigned Revlike kite !IN GUATEMALA! YUPIII...
I am leaving tomorrow evening, I'll be in Guate. Thursday at noon.
Sorry fellow, I will miss to see you, but...this one is going to be fun!
I am going by myself, wife and kids are staying. so: I will do as much as I can to have fun.
Kite flying, and...ohhh...yeahh...I will be playing chess, against an International Master, also against the Guatemalan Champion.
and Yeahh...I know, they are going to kick my rear end... :? but it will be a honor to play against
famous people. I see you in 2012.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 09 2011, 08:23 AM

Darn! We'll miss you Hector.
Have fun kiting in Guatemala and good luck in your chess matches!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Feb 10 2011, 03:12 PM

I'm a big "don't know" right now.

It was no, but then it came up (to make a long story short-er) that my mother-in-law just recently had back surgery. She's 79 years old, and recovering after the surgery. She's not doing great, both physically and mentally in terms of short term memory. We're concerned about her going back to her home alone, and she insists she wants to. One thing she might consider for a while is to take a trip to her sister's and stay with her and her husband for a while. They are in Irvine, CA. But she's nervous about traveling alone, and we're not too comfortable with her doing it alone either.

So I said, well, if she wants to go around the weekend of March 12-13, I could travel with her and get her there safely. ;)

So actually that might happen, and give me a chance to play. But I probably won't know for a couple weeks until after she gets home and figures out what she wants to do. Good thing I've got enough miles for a free ticket if I can go last minute.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

AhMayzon

Postby AhMayzon » Fri, Feb 11 2011, 11:54 PM

I will be attending as well!

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Sat, Feb 19 2011, 02:57 PM

This will be our first time to KP and also flying with Revs. We have some questions for the veterans.

Kites and supplies
Do you bring both std and vented to KP?
Spar selection? 3 wrap and 4 wrap?
My understanding is we won't need stakes for the sand. Do you use something else?

Flying (in the airplane, not the air)
Do you check your kites in baggage or carry-on?
If carry-on, what type of case do you use? Fishing rod tubes? Homemade? Original Rev cases? Length limit? Do you put handles in carry-on? Lines?
If packed, how do you protect spars? Any other issues?

Thanks in advance
John
:LogoRevAni:

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Feb 19 2011, 03:35 PM

RevJB wrote:This will be our first time to KP and also flying with Revs. We have some questions for the veterans.

Kites and supplies
My understanding is we won't need stakes for the sand. Do you use something else?

If carry-on, what type of case do you use? Fishing rod tubes? Homemade? Original Rev cases? Length limit? Do you put handles in carry-on? Lines?

Thanks in advance

Man, I wish I could go to KP . . . here's my newbie take on your questions . . .

Yes
Yes
I'd bring stakes if I were going, but maybe the pros will have a better answer . . . I brought stakes to the beach in FL

Flying (air)
I removed the spars from my kites and put the spars in a standard (cheap) cardboard mailing tube for our flights. Worked great except that the Rev1 middle section is longer than the mailing tube. I cut a hole smaller than the spar and had about an inch sticking out. I had no problems at security or carrying on the tube, and it fits in the back of the overhead bin behind the carry-ons. Just don't forget to take it off the plane!! For the next time I fly, I want a case long enought for the spars so I went to the local art supply store (Blick's in Wheaton) and bought an extendable "documents" tube. Here's what I bought for our next trip: http://www.dickblick.com/products/chart ... ment-tube/ I think I might even be able to fit two or three kites in the tube without taking them apart first.

I rolled up the kite sails carefully (not too tight) and put them in the checked luggage (also not packed too tight). We were flying Southwest, so no cost for checked bags. I put the stakes, lines and handles in the checked bag as well.

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Sat, Feb 19 2011, 05:57 PM

I'll be there Thursday thru Sunday.

I'll wear my IKE shirt on Saturday. This will be the 4th IKE year, right?

Shirt's like new, only worn once a year. :up:

Oh, and you don't want to stake your kite on a crowded beach like this. Not polite. Lotsa folks there can help you learn to fly on sand without stakes.
Last edited by Kitehead on Sat, Feb 19 2011, 05:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Carter

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Feb 19 2011, 07:08 PM

Kitehead wrote:I'll be there Thursday thru Sunday.
Oh, and you don't want to stake your kite on a crowded beach like this. Not polite. Lotsa folks there can help you learn to fly on sand without stakes.

Good point. When I used my stakes in Florida, the beach was deserted . . . it was mid 40s and very windy so there were only about 5 other people there all afternoon.

Told you my two cents were "newbie"

BTW, I know (from another thread) that Jeepster uses a Bass Pro Shops fly rod case for his spars. I'm sure that works well also. Have fun at KP 9 . . . I will be at my son's pinewood derby . . .

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 20 2011, 07:34 PM

RevJB wrote:This will be our first time to KP and also flying with Revs. We have some questions for the veterans.

Kites and supplies
--> Yes

--> 2 & 3 wraps are most important. 4 wraps usually not needed.

--> As previously mentioned, stakes aren't great there. It's a pretty tight field. Land your kite upside down; grab the top lines and pull on them a bit to dig the leading edge into the sand; drop your handles. (this wont work in the hard packed Florida sand). If you pass by your kite, you can throw some sand on the LE too. When it's time to take off, the kite will just pop up with a quick snap.

--> My travel kit is: A single standard rev kite sleeve with a vented and standard kite in it. One has 2 wrap spars, the other 3 wraps. Kite handles and line in the outside pocket of the sleeve. I carry 75' and 120' linesets. I often leave the stake at home, but no always. I carry this on the plane along with my carry on suitcase (I hate waiting for luggage, that's time better spent on the beach!). I've never had anyone take a second look at the kites. It passes right through x-ray without a comment. I can't guarantee you wont get a grumpy agent, but I've probably done this 15 times or more without incident. I sometime wait until other luggage goes into the overhead before putting my kites up there, but not always. I've even kept the kites with me if I'm in a window seat, they never notice them next to my leg.
When I was with iQuad, we checked a standard rev roll-up bag through luggage without any additional protection. Japan & England, the whole trip was done that way.

Thanks in advance
-> you're welcome :)

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Feb 22 2011, 08:52 AM

update: Turns out I'll be missing Kite Party for the first time in many years.
Y'all have fun and take a nice photo on Saturday for me.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Feb 23 2011, 10:45 AM

It's looking less and less likely for me with each passing day...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Thu, Feb 24 2011, 01:31 AM

Jeff wrote:It's looking less and less likely for me with each passing day...

:cry: We can ALL cry together on the 6th! ...and support one another with a big No-KP Hug! :(

...NEXT YEAR!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Mar 13 2011, 11:41 PM

Please tell Zack that he's famous ...

This is the picture that Dave used for the back of the Kite Party 9 tee shirt. That's Zack fourth from the right isn't it? Good looking shirt!

Kite Party 9 is now history. The winds were a little light for most of each day, but the weather couldn't of been better. Dave, Chris, John, Jo Ann and I made up the mid-west IKE group this year. Demos were light this year ... two demo periods (1:00PM & 3:00PM "-ish") of about 20 or 30 minutes total, so lots of flying time.

There's a small group of us who are going to fly tomorrow ... so maybe it isn't completely over.

Chris has a new dual line from the auction ... good looking kite.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 14 2011, 11:43 AM

Next year is the 10th anniversary kite party, we'll have to get organized for that one.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, Mar 14 2011, 03:27 PM

Mike wrote:Next year is the 10th anniversary kite party, we'll have to get organized for that one.

The HECK with organizing! ...Let's all just GO! :clubfly:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Mar 14 2011, 10:58 PM

Okay, Kite Party 9 is official over. The Fosters and I were the last three standing when the sun started to go down. Got to bow to the Fosters ... living in an area where you can fly year round sure keeps their Rev muscles in shape. It was interesting to watch as the day went along and folks heading off to the airport with tears in their eyes. 2011 was a great party.

One update ... at the auction, Dave K. spent quite a bit for a small business card. Something about being able to exchange it for one of JB's new dual line kites coming out later this year. You'll have to ask him about it. He did get to fly one of the prototypes for a few minutes ...

Next year's Kite Party is planned for the weekend of 10-11 March ... mark your calendar. Dave is talking to the city about making it a three day event.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Mar 14 2011, 10:59 PM

This page is intentionally blank ...
Last edited by Jeepster on Tue, Mar 15 2011, 11:01 AM, edited 1 time in total.

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Tue, Mar 15 2011, 12:40 AM

Chris and I had a good time. Saturday was the best with good winds in the afternoon followed by good food and the auction.

There was a group of 8 to 12 Revs flying near the pier almost all day. I joined them late in the day when Jim Foster was calling and he did a good job of keeping me out of trouble. I also kept David on his toes as he was flying behind me. It was great fun.

Image I'm flying Chris' red and black kite.

More pictures to follow
John

:LogoRevAni:

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Mar 16 2011, 02:01 AM

Here is the link to one of John Chilese's photos of the Kite Party 9 shirt ... notice Zack is number four from the left ...

Cheers,
Tom

Return to “2011 Kite Festivals”