2010: May 21 Grand Haven, MI (Great Lakes Kite Festival)

backdraft

2010: May 21 Grand Haven, MI (Great Lakes Kite Festival)

Postby backdraft » Fri, May 21 2010, 10:16 AM

We are here and the weather is low 70s and sunny with a 8mph steady wind off the lake, what a great day to to fly. :twisted:

Big Mike

Jynx

Re: 2010: May 21 Grand Haven, MI (Great Lakes Kite Festival)

Postby Jynx » Fri, May 21 2010, 02:53 PM

backdraft wrote:We are here and the weather is low 70s and sunny with a 8mph steady wind off the lake, what a great day to to fly. :twisted:

Big Mike

WINDerful news! :up:
Fly one for me!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, May 21 2010, 08:58 PM

Jynx wrote:WINDerful news! :up:
Fly one for me!

Actually, this morning started out with a continuation of the rain that started yesterday. We went down to the beach just to see if anyone was dumb enough to be out flying ... turns out the rain stopped right about the time we got there. iQuad was there, Ben, Chicago Zack and some others. So, out came Mike's kites (long story on why Jamie and I didn't have our kites with us) and Mike, Jamie and I flew until the wind died around five o'clock. Donna showed up just as we were getting set up.

Grabbed some dinner and went to the indoor fly. Lot of different fliers with everything from single line kites thru to quads. Donna flew a dual line stack and Sam flew a three kite quad stack!

So, Jynx, where are you????

Cheers,
Tom

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Fri, May 21 2010, 11:41 PM

:thanks: for thinking of me...

Sorry couldn't make this one... I'm honored to be leading 200 women Harley riders from New Berlin to the Harley Museum and later to the Water Street HD festivities!

Should be a great time BUT NOT as WINDerful as Grand Haven for sure!

Have fun...as I know you all will!

AND... See ya next weekend! :revspin: :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, May 22 2010, 09:47 AM

Y'all are making me mighty jealous.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, May 22 2010, 05:51 PM

Mike wrote:Y'all are making me mighty jealous.

Well, today was a good day for talking. The fog stayed in until late in the morning, then we got about three hours of good winds, then we got several hours of practice flying in low wind conditions. Even iQuad had their troubles today ... 360's were the maneuver of choice for most everyone. Sam Ritter did a 360 with a twelve-kite stack of Rev 1s ... that was impressive to see.

Tomorrow looks to be a beautiful day with 10 mph winds, lots of sunshine and temps in the low 80s.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, May 23 2010, 07:23 AM

The night fly was fantastic. Bazzer found some bright blue and white LEDs that iQuad used on their kites. Two white LEDs on the wing tips, two blue LEDs on the bottom tips and one blue LED on the center of the kite. Imagine six kites light up like that flying one of their standard routines for about ten minutes with no dropped kites!! It was worth the trip just to see that.

It almost didn't happen. The winds came up just as it got dark and stayed up long enough for Steve deRoy to fly one Rev in each hand in the dark ... the man's brain doesn't work like yours and mine. Then iQuad got about two minutes into a routine when the wind died. We all milled around for about a half hour when the wind came up again and everyone got into the air. Very neat.

Donna had a dual line kite up with very bright red lights along the leading edges. It looked good. Dave K. had a mylar Rev with an assortment of red and white lights on it ... only got to see it as he was taking it apart.

Sun's shining, so we're off to the beach.

See ya,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, May 23 2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks for updates, Tom. It let's us experience it vicariously.
[proud_dad]
I'm a really proud Dad here in Iowa. Rose has been performing a lot. I've seen her sing in choir, a cappella, and solo. She's graduating with honors in both her degrees and is also a Phi Beta Kappa :-D
[/proud_dad]

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Mon, May 24 2010, 01:48 PM

We had a great time and the weather was great on Sunday, I'm sad to be home and back to work. Mike its great to here about Rose tell her CONGRADULATION from her adopted family the Stephensons.

Hope to see you both soon,

Big Mike

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, May 24 2010, 02:49 PM

I've got to echo what Mike said ... had a great time on Sunday and sad to be back to work ... well, maybe not work, but back home at least. The wind was great all morning. Had a chance fly my Lil' Lee stack all morning. No one - and I mean no one - tried to set up a beach towel where I was flying. With all of the stacking lines and the speed of the smaller kites, the stack really roars coming across the wind window. I finally gave up flying it when the beach started getting real crowded in the afternoon, Joined Mike, Nick, Jamie, Dave K and Andrew (from Neenah, WI) flying Revs alongside the Rev training field.

Along about 3:00pm the wind started falling off, so we all decided to give up and yield the beach to the natives. After Dave parked his kite to take a rest, a family came along and put their stuff in the shade of his kite ... geez! Still we had a good time, had plenty of sunshine and plenty of good winds.

Cheers,
Tom

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Mon, May 24 2010, 10:49 PM

backdraft wrote:We had a great time and the weather was great on Sunday, I'm sad to be home and back to work. Mike its great to here about Rose tell her CONGRADULATION from her adopted family the Stephensons.

Hope to see you both soon,

Big Mike

Thanks! :-D
Hope to see you all this weekend at the Family Kite Fest

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, May 31 2010, 11:34 AM

Daniel Brinks had a KAP rig at Grand Haven and took some interesting pictures. You can view them, as well as other kite pictures at his Flickr site. I can't find his e-mail address on the Flickr account, so if you want to contact him, drop me a PM and I'll share his e-mail address.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 31 2010, 05:07 PM

He got some really nice shots. Thanks for posting the link.

Return to “2010 Kite Festivals”