2010: May 8th, Valparaiso IN

Mike

2010: May 8th, Valparaiso IN

Postby Mike » Sun, Apr 25 2010, 08:01 PM

Spring Out to Sunset Festival
May 8 at Sunset Hill Farm in Valparaiso.

This article talks about the Valparaiso festival on May 8 and the Mayor Daley's Kids & Kites Festival on May 1
http://www.nwitimes.com/lifestyles/recr ... 0622c.html

180GO! will be flying at the Indiana festival. The Killips will also be there flying their big stuff.

chicagokite

Re: 2010: May 8th, Valparaiso IN

Postby chicagokite » Mon, Apr 26 2010, 05:54 AM

Sean Beaver and some of the kck club will be in for the Chicago event along with mike Holl.
The demo field will be set a little different this time hopefully will keep the huge crowds out.
Temps should be in the mid 70s. Any one wanting to demo please pm me or call the store.
Thanks
David

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, May 05 2010, 07:03 AM

Anyone coming to the Indiana festival, please bring any Roks or Bols that you own.
It might be fun to do some Bol races and Rok battles.

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Wed, May 05 2010, 10:04 PM

Time to fly! I plan to get there by 9am. Rain and snow gear on the checklist. :up:
Dayton David

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Wed, May 05 2010, 10:26 PM

SNOW??!! :x:

BTW I have a Bol but no harness for races.
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Wed, May 05 2010, 10:28 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, May 06 2010, 07:52 AM

David: glad you're going to be there!
Isaac: bring the bol, we'll figure out a strap

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, May 06 2010, 08:31 AM

My bol has a dual line strap ... no harness. It looks like Issac is bring his Wisconsin temps with him ... geeez a high of 50 degrees. The winds look to be the real fun ... the forecast is for them to drop out of the 20s in the afternoon.

Glad to see you're coming David. Although, now that I think about it, every time we've flow together the winds have either been zero or hurricane velocity.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, May 06 2010, 09:12 AM

I'll bring some webbing for harnessing the bols.
Bol races should be fun in high winds!

The cool temps may decrease the crowds so we'll play it by ear as to what we do.

And 9 am sounds like a good time to meet.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, May 09 2010, 11:20 AM

IKE was well represented at this festival. Issac represented Wisconsin, David represented Ohio, Jeff took care of the "North of I80" Illinois crowd while the rest of us covered the "South of I80" group ... and, we met in Indiana to fly!!! The weather was cloudy and chilly (50 degrees does not represent a good spring day) ... the park folks said it was the worse weather they'd ever experienced for this festival. Attendance was very, very light ... as in more of us flying than watching at any one time. This is a "kites and mutts" type festival, so the dog group won out in the spectator contest. The park folks were very happy with our participation though and promised better weather next year if we'd come back.

This was/is a well organized festival with lots of side attractions for the spectators. The dog group put on a constant flow of demos ... drug sniffing dogs, attack dogs (with the requisite well padded "bad" guy), assorted dogs performing tricks, etc.. The kids had the usual inflatable attractions, pony rides, etc.. Although the attendance was low, all the park people I talked to were very upbeat, very positive and very friendly.

Even with the less than excellent weather, we managed to have a good time! The winds came over a line of trees from behind us which created some turbulence. That combined with the shifting speed and direction of the main wind flow yielded some interesting team flying. Winds were zero to plus twenty ... sometimes at the same time!!! At one time or the other, each of us flew into a void in the wind window. Even Little Mike was laughing at himself ... he had just given a great discourse on keeping the lines, spacing and speeds even when he flew into a hole in the wind and dropped like a rock. The funniest moment all day was when six of us had landed with leading edges up (we were being photographed at the time) and the wind shifted around behind the kites ... they fell forward in a perfect pattern ... one kite at a time from left to right ... a maneuver so coordinated and perfect that it could never be repeated!

With the wind turbulence, The Killips had trouble putting up their triobite. Tony and his wife finally gave up and just flew a couple of their larger-than-life, lifter kites during the day. With that much nylon in the air, they're an instant festival all to themselves.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, May 13 2010, 12:44 PM

Some local press on the event.

From left to right in the photo:
David Kovacs, Tom Clark, Isaac Trejo, and Mike Kory

THOMAS QUINN | THE TIMES Members of the I 80 GO! kite club fly their formation of quad kites Saturday during the Kites and Canines Festival at Sunset Hill Park.

Sun sets early on some kite flying

Gust in 35 mph range ground larger creations at Valpo fest

By Susan O'Leary - Times Correspondent | Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 12:00 am

VALPARAISO | Most would think it takes a lot of wind to fly an 88-foot kite.

But too much wind grounded the monster kite Saturday morning at Spring Out to Sunset: Kites, Canines, and More at Sunset Hill Farm County Park in Valparaiso.

Tony and Ann Killip, of Wataga, Ill., struggled to keep the huge kite, shaped like a trilobyte, aloft.

"A trilobyte is an ancient sea creature," Tony Killip said.

The Killips, who always keep an eye on the weather, estimated that wind gusts reached 35 mph Saturday morning. They said kite flying works best with 10 to 20 mph winds.

"We're taking a break," Killip said. "It gets tiresome trying to fight that thing."

The event, formerly the Kites and Canines Festival, featured professional kite flying demonstrations and dog Frisbee-catching performances, courtesy of the Porter County Parks and Recreation Department.

"We wanted an inexpensive option for families to come out and have fun," said Gayle O'Connor, the parks' supervisor of recreation. "We want to grow with this every year."

Festival visitors were encouraged to bring kites and dogs for a day of fun at the park.

Amy Hartz, the park department's wellness educator, snuggled her pug, Max, who had a hard time keeping his eyes open.

"He's been very sleepy this morning," said Hartz, who helped organize the event. "He's been up since 7:30."

A team of four stunt kite flyers named 180 Go! kept their smaller kites flying in formation in the blustery weather. The group performs throughout the Midwest at kite festivals and other events.

Canine units from the Porter County Sheriff's Department and the Valparaiso Police Department and local pet rescues and shelters also greeted visitors.

Don Lang, of Indy Dog and Disc, a club for Frisbee-catching dogs and their owners, walked with Lily, his 7-year-old Australian shepherd mix, before her disc-catching performance.

Lang said the club also hosts and participates in competitions throughout the Midwest.

"I got into this by accident," Lang said of his hobby. "I never played Frisbee when I was young. Now I'm 70 years old and I'm still doing this."

Return to “2010 Kite Festivals”