2009, May2-3-Kites Over Lake Story. Galesburg, IL

The 2009 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

2009, May2-3-Kites Over Lake Story. Galesburg, IL

Postby Mike » Sun, May 03 2009, 03:35 PM

I drove through Galesburg yesterday and saw signs advertising the festival, but I couldn't stay.
Did anyone go? I'd love to hear about it.

Jeepster

Re: 2009, May2-3-Kites Over Lake Story. Galesburg, IL

Postby Jeepster » Sun, May 03 2009, 04:06 PM

Jamie and I attended all day Saturday ... brought the grandson along also. The winds were light, gusty and a little swirly for most of the afternoon. We had the only Revs at the festival. A couple of dualies were also in attendance. The rest were SLKs ... from a 6" tall traditional diamond kite to akillip's 86 sq foot flowform and Drachenschwanaz's 19 foot delta kite. All were in the air at one time or the other. Draftnik also had several of her beautiful SLKs in the air over the course of the afternoon.

One ROK was flown ... it looked like it was way up in the air ... but, when it came down it was only about a three foot tall ROK ... funny about distance judgements. Think I'll follow Tony's example and mark my lines in 100 foot increments so I can tell how high my kite is. Wow, can the big kite guys move fast when the wind falls off ... I thought they weren't paying attention, but was wrong on that count also. All-in-all it seemed like the sky was filled with a variety of kites all day. With probably half of them changing through out the day.

The candy drop never occurred, so Mary from the park district walked around with a bag of candy for the kids ... my grandson named her the "Candy Lady" and managed to hit her up for a piece every time he saw her.

Oh yes, right at the end of the day, I put up a 7 foot delta that managed to fly sideways about fifty or so feet and wrap around Tony's flowform line ... seems you can't fly formation with SLKs. Tony took it in stride and helped unwrap my line ... think he's done that before?

Draftnik and akillip said that Saturday was a light attendance compared to past years. Even so, we had a great time flying in the light winds and watching the assortment of SLKs that came and went. We took a camera, but were enjoying ourselves so much we forgot to take pictures ... sorry. This is definately a low key, family friendly kite festival.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Re: 2009, May2-3-Kites Over Lake Story. Galesburg, IL

Postby Mike » Sat, May 09 2009, 07:26 PM

Nice report, thanks Jeepster.

Return to “2009 Kite Festivals”