2009 Grand Haven Kite Festival

The 2009 Kite Festival Season Archives
Jynx

Re: 2009 Grand Haven Kite Festival

Postby Jynx » Wed, Apr 29 2009, 10:41 PM

Mike wrote:Image

I see it... But I don't Believe it!

Gotta take a whole new look at this IKE club, I guess!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Wed, Apr 29 2009, 11:14 PM

Hello gang,
I plan to get there Friday, early afternoon. And no, i will not be driving back that same day, i just confirmed my reservation for the weekend.
The courtyard at the Best Western looks like a fun place to hang out after a day at the beach.
I'll bring the jarts......are they still legal in Michigan? :wink: http://lawn-jarts.com/lawn_jarts_banned_in_the_usa.php

I'm going to try my hand at the fighter kite craziness Sat morning. Wish me luck.
Just hope the weather will cooperate.
Looking forward to my first BIG kite fest.

David

ps: Mike, ya got any IKE shirts for sale? Large (if they run big) or XL.
Last edited by cadguy on Wed, Apr 29 2009, 11:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Apr 30 2009, 07:40 AM

cadguy wrote:ps: Mike, ya got any IKE shirts for sale? Large (if they run big) or XL.

Yup, I have some L and XL left. They're $15.
I don't think they run big.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, May 02 2009, 03:06 PM

If you're taking a roll call... Count me in, I'll be there!

(and) MIKE... I'll take a L, if you'd be so kind to bring it along!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, May 16 2009, 08:05 PM

This is what I posted on the REV forum ... with modifications:

Friday saw lots of cycling through non-vented and mid-vented kites. Also, in addition to changing speeds, the wind kept changing directions. The 3:30 class ran out of wind and didn't get to complete the flying portion until today. Temps seemed to be in the 60's with an overcast sky. Caduy and Jamie showed up today also.

Friday night hosted the indoor flying ... the only thing I can say is that videos don't give you a true feeling for indoor flying. iQuad was great, but I've got to give the nod to Sam for flying a stack indoors ... didn't see that one coming. Jynx and her two sons showed up for the indoor.

Saturday was in the mid 50's with the wind blowing 20 to 25 mph most of the day. Cloudy in the morning and sunny through the afternoon. Fully vented with 4-wraps seemed to be the best choice for kites ... and non-vented with 4-wraps seemed to be the choice for clothing. (ps ... yes, Ben was wearing his shorts ... a wool cap, winter coat, gloves and shorts. Says he has nice legs and wants to show them off.) There was almost constant demo flying by the pros ... and they looked good, so it really couldn't of been too bad. Once the sun came out there were lots of spectators ... and lots of BIG kites. Great show of nylon in the sky.

Saw a multitude of dual line kites bite the dust. Heard a whup, whup, whup right behind me, turned around and saw a piece of nylon and a pile of carbon fiber sticks ... the dual line kites really do "re-kit" themselves under severe abuse. Saw several REV spars broken ... oh, and one of Backdraft's iQuad line sets is now a foot shorter ... well, at least one line is shorter. iQuad started with four kites and finished with three during one of their demos.

Three of us hung out with our kites in the corner of the training/demo field, so we were able to watch all the demos up close and personal. Flew till the demo started, landed to watch, and then back flying as soon as the demo was over. Ben was using his lattice kite for training ... he seemed to be surrounded by people taking him up on the offer to try out a Rev. I finally had to go over and try it during a lull in the training ... it flies well in the high winds. Still like Nick's mega-vented kite better.

The weatherman is predicting mid 50's for tomorrow with winds around 10 mph and lots of sunshine. Might be the best day yet, and the last two have been great. Jamie was supposed to go home tonight, but he's having so much fun that the family is staying for an additional day ...

Wish the rest of you were here!!

Cheers,
Tom

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, May 17 2009, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the update on how the weekend was going so far Tom. As far as the weather goes NO surprise there, been going there for the past 6/7 yrs and it is like that every year. Thats why we told you to pack for everything from hot summer days to late winter time. Heres hoping that sundays weather was the nicest for you all out there. Most years that has been the best of the bunch, but not always.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, May 18 2009, 12:38 AM

It was definately WINDerful!

I have some pretty nice pics... posting tomorrow after some needed rest!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, May 18 2009, 09:50 AM

On Sunday the weather was perfect. Sun, sun and a little more sun. The winds were non-vented to mid-vented all day long. The temps were in the 50's, but with the sun it was very comfortable. Cadguy, Jamie and I once again hung out in the corner of the training/demo field. Flew almost continuously all day, only breaking to watch demos that were interesting.

The most interesting demo was when Sam Ritter and Lee Sedgwick flew their eight kite stacks in a ballet. They made it look so easy ... slow, gentle and smooth. The didn't wrap the lines, but they did fly so close together for the entire routine that it looked like one 16-kite dual stack. Rolling over each other, joining into an arch high in the sky and then gently landing in the same arch. Very beautiful to watch.

By late afternoon, we were slowly being squeezed out of our little corner, so we packed it in. I wandered up to the big kite area and spent some time talking with Al Sparling ... he said he'd be at Pontiac. Then I wandered down to the other end of the beach and flew with Jynx for a little while before calling it quits. Flew her signature kite from Kite Party ... I'm slowly working my way through her kite bag. Looks like she has both her sons hooked on Rev flying.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, May 18 2009, 11:11 AM

Looks like pretty kites make the paper's photo section ...

Cheers,
Tom

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/news/x11 ... op&photo=1

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, May 18 2009, 11:37 AM

Jeepster wrote:On Sunday the weather was perfect.

By late afternoon, we were slowly being squeezed out of our little corner, so we packed it in. I wandered up to the big kite area and spent some time talking with Al Sparling ... he said he'd be at Pontiac. Then I wandered down to the other end of the beach and flew with Jynx for a little while before calling it quits. Flew her signature kite from Kite Party ... I'm slowly working my way through her kite bag. Looks like she has both her sons hooked on Rev flying.

Cheers,
Tom

Hooked, netted, filleted, and totally fried!

Introducing my kids to tree house building, bunge jumping, sky diving, motorcycling, Burningman, and now the Dark Side of Rev flying... I'm expecting the Department of Child Social Sevices at my door any day!

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Mon, May 18 2009, 09:02 PM

Hooked, netted, filleted, and totally fried!

Introducing my kids to tree house building, bunge jumping, sky diving, motorcycling, Burningman, and now the Dark Side of Rev flying... I'm expecting the Department of Child Social Sevices at my door any day!

Shhhhhhhhhhh![/quote]

Here's a shot of the future team, JynxQuad. :revspin:

David

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, May 18 2009, 11:32 PM

Here's a shot of the future team, JynxQuad. :revspin:

David

Thanx for the pic, Dave!
See I WAS there!

We're going with... Family Team "WINDerful"

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Tue, May 19 2009, 10:05 PM

a couple pics of your fellow IKEs....Jeepster & DB Cooper...

take a close look at the hand/thumb positions of each....there isn't a single best way....but each to his/her own way.

Return to “2009 Kite Festivals”