Kite Party Roll Call

The 2009 Kite Festival Season Archives
Jeepster

Re: Kite Party Roll Call

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Feb 21 2009, 08:50 PM

Accuweather shows heavy rain over Huntington Beach right now ... hope it gets that stuff out of it's system.

We made it to the middle of Wyoming today ... cutting through the Great Divide Basin instead of trying to go up and over the peaks of the Rocky Mountains. Lot's of snow along the road and in the smaller mountains we're passing, so bypassing the peaks looks like a good choice. The basin is also a very pretty trip through the Rockies ... since this is our first trip via this route we're enjoying it. Utah is on the agenda for tomorrow.

I saw Rose's name on the KP list and thought she'd be there, but now I remember Mike saying "not this year" ... we'll miss you.

Cheers,
Tom

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Feb 21 2009, 11:51 PM

Yes Chris it just wont be the same with out you out there. But here is hopin that you and Rose can join us next year. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 22 2009, 09:41 AM

Accuweather may not be quite so "accu".
I got in last night and so far I haven't seen any sign of rain. I'm 25 miles from HB.

No kite flying for me yet.
I'm earning my keep by doing tech chores for the extended family out here. Helping to buy a couple computers, setup a network, fix problems on different machines, etc.

But, I'm doing it all while just wearing a t-shirt! Mmmmmm warmth.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 22 2009, 09:52 AM

Oh by the way,
Everyone needs to wear their red shirts for the photo op. Or at least have them to change into for the photo.
Saturday seems to be the day that everyone will be there, so if you have one, make sure to have your IKE shirt for Saturday.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Feb 22 2009, 06:28 PM

Mike wrote:
But, I'm doing it all while just wearing a t-shirt! Mmmmmm warmth.

I know that things are a bit different in California, but really, I'd suggest wearing some pants. At least some shorts. Porky Pig is not a good fashion role model.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 22 2009, 07:12 PM

when in Rome...

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Feb 22 2009, 09:04 PM

Mike wrote:Accuweather may not be quite so "accu".
I got in last night and so far I haven't seen any sign of rain. I'm 25 miles from HB.

Checked this morning and the northern 3/4 of California was covered by rain ... just checked now and its still covered with rain. Oh well, Accuweather really does work well in mid-Illinois ... California does seem to go it's own way. I'll take the dry weather ... just keep it up.

We're in the middle of Utah tonight ... finished Wyoming via the Great Divide Basin and then dropped down into Salt Lake City. Forgot how beautiful the mountains are in that area. The only problem is that for pictures, the mountains are either too far away or right in your face. We've taken a few, but they don't really show how awesome the Rockies are.

Tomorrow we'll finish the lower half of Utah - running along the western face of the Rockies. We'll also catch the north-western corner of Arizona ... it is some of the most beautiful landscape you've ever seen. The grand canyon cuts it off from the rest of Arizona, so folks don't visit it very often. The south rim of the canyon is the most visited. But, the north rim and this corner of Arizona are fantastic to see.

We've had reasonably clear roads the entire trip ... would have to be a fluke storm to slow us up now. Will probably get to Huntington Beach a day early ...

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Feb 24 2009, 08:41 PM

Made it to Las Vegas yesterday. First thing was to register at the hotel and the second was to visit Cory's and Kent's kite shops. Had a good discussion with both individuals. Kent was kind enough to show me a black center SUL in Gold and Raspberry. Anybody want to buy my old Gold and Raspberry SUL? Only flown on light wind days ... flown by an iQuad member. I really do love the new design with the black center ... should have asked Kent if he took trade-ins.

The trip yesterday was wet ... rained all through Utah and Arizona. Stopped just outside of Las Vegas. Can't complain though 'cuz it looks like we missed two different snow storms by being a day early in both cases. Luck will beat skill and planning every time.

We visited Needles, California today ... you do know who is associated with Needles don't you?

We're spending the night in Barstow, California. Should get to Huntington Beach tomorrow just in time to greet Mike S and family ... will be sure to ask what took them so long.

Cheers,
Tom

kiteking

Postby kiteking » Tue, Feb 24 2009, 09:20 PM

Wow, amazing, I was flying next to the HB Pier today and there were no red shirts, even though everyone flying are IKE members, I think. Myself, Jim and Lynn, and then Jynx showed up. I cant believe Jynx thought it was cold, Hell, she had snow falling at her house. It was 91 in Tucson yesterday I'm the one who should be cold, but I was comfortable with shorts and shirt. The wind was steady after 3:00 till sunset. Looking forward to more great weather all week. Hope you join in.
Wind to your back, Kite in the sky

MikeM
Brookings, OR
AKA# 110883

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Feb 24 2009, 09:40 PM

It was a nice afternoon. Good to see Mike again and meet Jynx. When we got there this afternoon, we had to break out our SULs. After a time, the wind got very low, and we were grounded for a few minutes. About 3 it came back up, and it was a vented day until we left for home at sunset.

Lynn and I plan to go back to Huntington tomorrow just after lunch and make a day of it.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Feb 24 2009, 10:39 PM

Man, I'm having a crappy week, and I can't wait to get away. I just hope I can get everything done that needs to be done before I leave.

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Feb 24 2009, 11:01 PM

Not to worry Mike ...

THE RED SHIRTS ARE A COMING!!! :twisted: 8)

Its just that we are coming in waves. You, Jim, Lynn and Jynx are just the first wave. Myself, wife and Paul shell be arriving on thursday afternoon. Flight lands at 10:30am so if all goes smooth on the way to the beach we should be hitting the sand shortly after 12pm.

Glad to hear that you all had a good day of flying and that the weather is going to be nice for the weekend. Looking so forwards to playing in the warm sun and sand with everybody.

See everybody in TWO days. 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

kiteking

Postby kiteking » Wed, Feb 25 2009, 01:15 AM

Jeff wrote:Man, I'm having a crappy week, and I can't wait to get away. I just hope I can get everything done that needs to be done before I leave.

Geez, Jeff

Last week I painted the house, reupholstered 2 chairs, and scrubbed the floors. Sunday, I washed the truck, loaded all the kites/equipment. Last night I was try to think what I was forgetting. Then Kristine reminded me about the cloths in the dryer, so I packed/. Afraid I brought too many pairs of jeans, and not enough shorts.

Good that the work thing doesn't get in the way.

MikeM

Brookings, OR

AKA# 110883

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 25 2009, 10:28 AM

I'll be there with the Stephenson's this afternoon.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 25 2009, 10:39 AM

kiteking wrote:.... Then Kristine reminded me about the cloths in the dryer, so I packed/. Afraid I brought too many pairs of jeans, and not enough shorts...

I thought I was packed too. Had the kites, handles, lines, radios, batteries, kite shirts...and then realized I forgot to pack pants. I did fit them in the carryon before I left, so I will actually be wearing more than a t-shirt.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 25 2009, 11:13 PM

Gorgeous weather today! Warm, sunny and perfect wind.
Here's some photos that Jynx took of us flying today.
All the fliers on the beach today were IKE members!

From left to right:
Jim, Jeepster, Lynn, Mike S., Jynx, Mike

Left to right: Mike, Mike S., Lynn, Tom, Jim:

Mike MacDonald was also flying his vintage stacks, but I don't have the photos. You'll have to wait for those.
Nick S. was also flying but didn't make the photo.

kiteking

Postby kiteking » Thu, Feb 26 2009, 12:59 AM

April 1, 2009

Just uploaded theVideo

Previous post

Here are some pictures Mike Stephenson took of the Peter Powell Stack

See Jim run

Many thanks to the ground crew, Jim and Tom, and the photo and video crew Mike and Anne Stephenson

Another great day at Dave's party
Last edited by kiteking on Thu, Apr 02 2009, 12:35 AM, edited 2 times in total.

MikeM

Brookings, OR

AKA# 110883

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Thu, Feb 26 2009, 08:45 AM

Got hear safely! Thanks to Mike K and Jim and Lynn for helping us get down to the beach. We arrived and had really awesome weather, warm and sunshine and the really GREAT winds (smooth, steady and not too hard). Had an awesome time flying with Mike K, Mike M, Jynx, Tom, Lyn, and Jim.

Image Image

Mike S.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Feb 26 2009, 03:39 PM

You guys are killing me...my plane leaves in 3 hours.

IKE is on Image too!

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Feb 26 2009, 08:06 PM

[quote="Jeff"]You guys are killing me...my plane leaves in 3 hours.[/quote

I am so close and yet so far...And I, still have to work ten hours tomorrow...but we'll see each other SATURDAY.
I'll be there all day long.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Return to “2009 Kite Festivals”