Festival Forum Changes

The 2009 Kite Festival Season Archives
Babbman

Festival Forum Changes

Postby Babbman » Thu, Feb 28 2008, 09:00 PM

After some careful thought, we decided to revise the Kite Festival Forum a bit to clean it up, make it a bit more consistent and easier in the future for people to find things they may want to see.

Here's the deal...

The Sticky Festival Schedule will be updated as necessary by Mike. If anyone has a festival that needs to be added to the schedule, please PM it to Mike.

Initial posts for a festival will be handled by the admins. We'll try to get them up and available ASAP and if you think we need to add something, please PM either Mike, Babbman, Chris or Frodos Majik. Our goal is to have a topic for each festival because we know that they will ALL be popular and talked about by everyone. :shock: Initially I considered having one topic for the pre-festival talk and another for the post-festival talk but I don't think it's necessary so for now, it's one topic per Festival.

Once a topic is up, anyone can reply to it at any time.

The titles of the initial post will be setup as Year - Festival Name - Festival Date - Festival Location

At the end of the year, all posts for the previous season will be archived to the appropriate year subforum.

Just wanted to let everyone know what's up in this section of the forums...

Kite Party was a real eye opener on responses... right now, it's 17 pages! At one point, we also had at least 4 separate topics and it was difficult to remember or find where to post on it. So, I consolidated it to one topic to clean things up a bit. I'm still pondering the photo thread for Kite Party in the photos forum and will probably move them all into the main thread also.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Re: Festival Forum Changes

Postby Jeff » Thu, Feb 28 2008, 09:09 PM

You need to adjust your display settings. It's only 5 pages for me. :P

As for the photos thread, I'll just make this as the case for a separate thread. The purpose was to consolidate the photo links in a way that makes them easy to find and access. They're right at the top of the thread. If they are buried in a thread, it's just a little less convenient and organized. In the end, I could live with it, I just thought this would make it easier for people to see and find the pics and video without missing or overlooking something in the rest of the discussion.

I have another potential idea for archiving and listing such things on the website, but right now it's just a hare-brained notion that I don't know if it would be accepted or if it would work as I envision. But I assure you, I'm thinking way outside the box. :-)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Feb 28 2008, 09:40 PM

Jeff wrote:You need to adjust your display settings. It's only 5 pages for me. :P

As for the photos thread, I'll just make this as the case for a separate thread. The purpose was to consolidate the photo links in a way that makes them easy to find and access. They're right at the top of the thread. If they are buried in a thread, it's just a little less convenient and organized. In the end, I could live with it, I just thought this would make it easier for people to see and find the pics and video without missing or overlooking something in the rest of the discussion.

I have another potential idea for archiving and listing such things on the website, but right now it's just a hare-brained notion that I don't know if it would be accepted or if it would work as I envision. But I assure you, I'm thinking way outside the box. :-)

Well hell, you're missing out on all the excitement then with only 5 pages! 8)

I already moved the thread but then moved them back... not sure how to delete that reference so it will probably just stay as it is in the photo section until I have time to look into it.

One thing we tried to do a couple of months ago was to consolidate the forums into something easier for all to deal with as there were just too many categories of things to look through and to try to figure out where to post or find what you wanted. The Kite party thread got large and with multiple topics, confusing on where to find things. Typically, the topics follow the format of 'it's coming up', 'who's going', 'I can't wait to go', 'We're there!', 'We're home', 'it was GREAT' and then a flurry of photos and videos at the end of the thread.

I envisioned the Photos and Video sections of the forum to be a place to drop those items that don't already have a category or popular topic for them with festival specific topics holding their associated media. Most people are posting photos and videos in those topics already and I thought it would be easier to have everything associated with a festival in that festivals thread rather than some in the photos section and some in the festival thread...

But that's just me... :-D

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Feb 28 2008, 11:00 PM

Well, I have an idea that may be a solution, but I need to think about it. You might like it, you might hate it. I think it might be a good idea.

Am I being mysterious enough? I will see if I can make a presentable version of what I'm thinking about...

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Feb 29 2008, 09:33 AM

Making the previous years' festivals a subforum to clean things up is probably a good idea. The only thing I would do differently is to put the subforum beneath the main forum listing.

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Feb 29 2008, 11:08 AM

Thanks Jeff...

With all of the other archived posts being in subforums under their original forums, I'm going to continue the practice that way... I'm really trying not to make additional headings where they aren't absolutely necessary. Subforums are easily seen and accessed yet are nicely tucked out of the way when looking at the forum list. Also, this is pretty much the practice that I've seen from all of my customers, distributors and software vendors over the last 20 years with archived information, source code and programs...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 03 2008, 02:08 PM

I'm starting to add the festival entries.
Please post if you have any questions or info to add.

Maps and driving directions to all the fests can be found by clicking the "Maps" link at the top of the page.

Also, if you think you might be going to a festival, it's really great if you post. Even if it's the only post you ever make on our forum. Just post "I'm going!."

The more people post, the more people come. It creates a groundswell of enthusiasm and gets more fliers to the festival which means more fun for everyone!

Return to “2009 Kite Festivals”