2008 Kite Party - Feb 22-24 - Huntington Beach, CA

The 2008 Kite Festival Season Archives
Jim Foster

Re: Kite Party - 2008

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Feb 03 2008, 04:27 PM

Mike wrote:Besides, if there was an earthquake we probably wouldn't even notice on the beach.

We hardly ever have bad earthquakes. If there IS a big one, and it is located in the ocean, there could be a little rise in the water level. Does the word "tsunami" come to mind? However, not to worry, a set of water wings, available at your nearest Walmart, should do the job. Deflated, they don't take up much room at all in your kite bag. :lol:

Look at the bright side........ If it's a really big tsunami, you grab a surf board from the rental shop on the beach and you'll be at Disneyland in no time at all. :rotfl
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Feb 04 2008, 08:41 AM

I updated the H.B. map to include the Surf Inn.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 12:22 PM

Jim Foster wrote:Just checked the iQuad web site. It shows "confirmed" for Kite Party.
This could be a nice little party. :up:

Latest update:
John, Steve, Monks, and Todd will be coming down. Jim Cosca will be filling in as the 6th guy.

Revgod

KITE PARTY RESPONSE...WOW!!

Postby Revgod » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 05:08 PM

Hey All,
Just wanted to check in and say thanks for all the support of the Kite Party. Actually, I shouldn't thank you until I see how much you spend....just kidding. Thanks to Isaac Trejo for inviting me to the forum. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!! All the best,
Dave
The Kite Connection.

Jeff

Re: KITE PARTY RESPONSE...WOW!!

Postby Jeff » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 05:32 PM

I'm looking forward to it, Dave.

For most of us, this is our first time. In fact, most everything we've done the past year has been for the first time, as IKE has only existed for one full season so far.

Some of us (like me) are pretty new to the kiting scene, but the existence of this club has exposed us to people and events that we never would have known about before. A year ago, I never would have thought that I'd be making a trip like this. IKE has become an active, vibrant and enthusiastic club, as the contingent heading west will attest.

I'm counting the days until I get to meet you and all the rest of the folks I've seen on the forums.

-Jeff
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Revgod

KITE PARTY INFORMATION

Postby Revgod » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 06:15 PM

Hello Gang,
This years KP is shaping up to be the most attended party yet. I wanted to post a few details of what's happening, rules, etc. The following are ENFORCED BEACH LAWS, please obey them and police others to ensure the success of this and FUTURE Kite Parties.

The following are PROHIBITED BY LAW on the beaches and pier.

1. Smoking
2. Alcohol
3. Animals
4. Sales of merchandise of any kind (without city permit)
5. Any activity deemed a "Hazardous Beach Game". It is this last one that I must remind the SPORT KITE FLYERS of. It is CRUCIAL that you remain withing the boundries of the flying fields at all times. Failure to do so will result in an unpleasant experience!

KITE PARTY RULES AND REGS.

1. This is a PRIVATE KITE PARTY (ok, sort of), you must have PERMISSION to be allowed on the flying field and you must have a name tag (to be distributed at the beach at the time of permission granting!
2. Sport kites (DUAL AND QUAD) have a maximum line length of 75', except for performances with iQuad. If you are in doubt, ask me.
3. Sport Kites must remain within the boundries of the roped off flying field, and are only allowed on the field closest to the pier.
4. All kites must be flown in a safe manner at all times.
5. The "general public" is restricted from the designated flying field, but the miles of beach are open for safe kite flying.
6. POWER kites are not permitted on the flying fields without prior arrangements.

Ok, you get the idea. Be safe, be smart, be courteous, have fun!

Now for the GOINGS ON!

Friday: Rev clinic w/iQuad, time to be determined, probably 1:00 ish?

Friday Night: Dinner at COACH'S MEDITERANIAN GRILL (limited capacity, probably fixed menu, need a count, so reply if you are planning on attending).

Saturday Morning: INTRODUCTIONS!!!

Saturday: KITE FLYING!!!!!!!!!! Spontaneous kite related activities!

Saturday Night: OFFICIAL dinner and Auction at LAMPPOST PIZZA on the corner of Golden West and Warner.

Sunday: Same as Saturday!

Sunday Night: Group dinner for whoever is still here and interested, time and place to be determined.

Monday: Casual flying for those still lingering about.

Tuesday: Sleep

Call me anytime with question. 714-536-3630

Dave

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 06:16 PM

Hey there Dave,
the least I can do is encourage all my friends to come out and visit. You're the guy who introduced me to Revs many years ago and you throw a heck of a party. See you in a couple weeks!

Mike

Re: KITE PARTY INFORMATION

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 06:33 PM

The 75' lines really are important for solo flying, there just isn't enough room for everyone to fly on 120s.
I've been there 3 years, and I've always had plenty of room to fly on 50 to 75' lines. If you haven't done 50 footers, they can be quick and fun.

However, iQuad flies on 120' and Team Too Much Fun flies on 100' lines the whole time. So if you don't have 75' lines, you can probably get away with 80 or 85' lines
(You're not reading this forum anymore, are you Shenkman?)

Revgod

Postby Revgod » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 06:40 PM

Yeah, I'm reading it! And NO, you WON'T get away with 80' or 85'. Performances by professional teams is different. While it is OPEN FLYING, 75' will be enforced. 65' for you Kory for stirring the pot on my first day in your damn forum!
D

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 06:44 PM

:-D You know, I can't help myself. We'll be good little kiters Dave. Don't you worry, you're gonna love us all.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 07:10 PM

How would we handle doing lessons for beginners? Can that happen inside the designated area? I'm hoping some non-kiter friends of mine will be able to come by, and I'd like to get them up in the air.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Revgod

Postby Revgod » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 08:21 PM

Sorry, lessons will probably not be possible inside the flying arena during the party. You will need to find a stretch of beach on the other side of the pier or condos on the beach. I'll explain that more when I see you.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 09:13 PM

Jeff,
This isn't like other kite festivals. There is a public aspect to it, but only a few demos are done during the day. iQuad, and John doing his Bugs Bunny routine for example. But doing demos clears the field and gets the other fliers a bit cranky, so there aren't too many. Of course, everyone likes to watch iQuad :-D And next year, they'll want to see :Logo180GO!:

Mostly it's good and enthusiastic kite fliers crowding into the field. Good fliers can fly near each other, but a beginner would probably take too many kites out of the sky.
There's usually room on Friday, if your friend can come on a weekday. Otherwise, the beach itself usually doesn't have too many people in winter and as Dave said, you can probably find a spot further down the beach without too much bother.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 09:38 PM

Who wants to go to the Mediterranean Grill on Friday?
http://www.coachsmedgrill.com/

I don't know if Dave will keep coming back to check on us, so we can post the total over at GWTW.

I'm going.

(For those of you doing some virtual traveling, I added the restaurant to the Groovy Google Map.)

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 11:25 PM

Welcome Aboard Dave.

I too will be there in a few weeks for the first time, missed last year. Have been planning since then for this years!!! 8) Looking forward to putting a face with many screen names at you party.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Feb 07 2008, 11:32 PM

If Mike is in, so am I and since Babbman is rooming with me, I am sure he will be in too.

Right Babbman?! :P :lol:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Fri, Feb 08 2008, 02:59 AM

The Stephensons are in!

Anne

Postby Anne » Fri, Feb 08 2008, 07:13 AM

Welcome Dave!
We're on our way also. Can't wait!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Feb 08 2008, 08:46 AM

Frodos Majik wrote:If Mike is in, so am I and since Babbman is rooming with me, I am sure he will be in too.

Right Babbman?! :P :lol:

Babbman is a kite AND food junkie. Of COURSE I'll be there!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Fri, Feb 08 2008, 01:24 PM

Mike wrote:Who wants to go to the Mediterranean Grill on Friday?
http://www.coachsmedgrill.com/

I'm there!

(since I replied on GWTW too, does that mean I get to eat twice as much?)
Allen Carter

Return to “2008 Kite Festivals”