2008 Kite Party - Feb 22-24 - Huntington Beach, CA

The 2008 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

Re: Kite Party - 2008

Postby Mike » Fri, Jan 25 2008, 06:39 PM

Roxy, I'm not sure that UPS is safer. I've never had the airlines lose my luggage. I have had packages not show up. Anyway, if you do ship your kites, PVC is very heavy and expensive to ship. I would use the triangle boxes that are used by the post office, ups and fed-ex. Much lighter and plenty sturdy.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jan 25 2008, 07:31 PM

For those of you who haven't flown commercial airlines very much, this is about flying in and out of O'Hare. This post is not to scare you, its just what may happen and how to deal with it and still have fun.

I think my flights thru O'Hare have been delayed 80% of the time. In winter, probably every time. I would check before you head out to the airport in the morning.
Here's my story on the last two flights:

Last month my family flew to California. We were booked non-stop from O'Hare to Orange County.
I did on-line check-in the night before, and I checked the flight in the morning before leaving. Good thing I checked--United Airlines canceled my flight and re-booked my whole family to fly out on the following day (Christmas) without notifying me. If I hadn't checked we would have driven to Chicago for nothing and have to drive back the next day (6 hour roundtrip drive). Instead I got on the phone to United and told them I had to get out today. They said there are no flights out of Chicago. I said book me on another airline, but you have to fix this. I went to Kayak.com and looked at all flights going out of all the area airports. Eventually I found something and told the airline and United booked us on a Delta Airlines flight from Bloomington (which is near me) to Atlanta to Orange County. The point is, since United was at fault (a problem with their crew) they were responsible. I wasn't charged anything extra and they routed me thru another airline to get to my destination. It pays to be a squeaky wheel.

Next flight. Coming back last week from Florida thru O'Hare to Champaign airport.
Weather problems delayed the Florida-O'Hare flight by a couple hours and I would have missed my connection to Champaign. Since it was a weather problem the said they wouldn't give me a hotel in Chicago, meaning I would have to sleep in the airport. Instead I had them book me to fly the next day. I spent an extra day in Florida instead of sleeping in O'Hare. Two other iQuad guys got stuck in Chicago but they were put up in the Hilton hotel and got meal vouchers for dinner and breakfast. I guess they had a more sympathetic worker than I got. Moral: be squeaky. Ask for meal and hotel vouchers.

Ok, one more. Last summer, I was flying back from Orange County through Dallas-Fort Worth. I was delayed a day. They had already taken my luggage so they payed for a change of clothes for me. You gotta ask though.

One more. Coming back from London last January, I was delayed two days.

So, you may not get there when you planned or get back when you planned. Bring an extra days worth of clothes, be friendly but insistent with the airline clerk and enjoy the delay if you can. Because of delays, I spent a couple extra days in London and saw some great shows, and I had a nice dinner and watched street performers in Florida.

Out of all my flights, I've only had luggage lost a few times. They always found it and drove it to my home or hotel. Usually the same day, once the next day. If your kites don't show up in LAX (which is very unlikely), don't worry about it. Have them deliver it to your hotel and borrow a couple of mine until yours show up.

California is going to be sooo much fun no matter what. I can't wait!

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Fri, Jan 25 2008, 07:51 PM

TeamTrejo wrote:Don't forget Allen Carter AKA Kitehead from California.

Mike, please bring an extra large IKE T-shirt for him.

Thanks!

XX Large or it will not get past the belly. :oops:

Let me know the $$
Allen Carter

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Fri, Jan 25 2008, 07:55 PM

Babbman wrote:
Mike wrote:FYI: on the Florida trip, iQuad was just checking their Rev rollup bags as is. No external cases.

Sorry, but not in this lifetime am I going to trust $500 worth of kites in a soft rollup bag to the airlines. I've seen what they have done to things packed better than that.

They're sponsored.

:wink:
Allen Carter

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Fri, Jan 25 2008, 08:01 PM

Mike wrote:
Here's a photo from the 2006 Kite Party. Team flying before iQuad existed.

That shot was by me!

I call them MotleyQuad. :-D

More photos from KP4 here:

http://www.threekids.net/kp4/kp4.html
Allen Carter

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 26 2008, 07:33 AM

Good photos!
That reminds me, Ken, be sure to bring your IKE banner. If your banner pole is too long for your luggage, it will probably fit in mine.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Jan 27 2008, 12:01 AM

Nice shots Allen. I AM so STOKED!!!!!!!!! :bash:

For those of you who haven't flown commercial airlines very much, this is about flying in and out of O'Hare. This post is not to scare you, its just what may happen and how to deal with it and still have fun.

Thats why I am going out of Midway. I know it could still happen but they are not as busy as O'Hare.

be sure to bring your IKE banner.

Like I would forget OUR colors?! The pole and stake will fit fine in the golf bag. But thanks Mike. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Jan 29 2008, 12:52 AM

Lynn and I are soooooooooo looking forward to meeting and flying with all of you. We have flown with Donna and Mike, but the all rest of you people.......WOW
We have REV friends coming from Clear Lake, CA and also a "newbie" Rev flier from San Diego. First time Kite Party for them all.
We're also anxious to welcome Allen Carter to the "Dark Side".

I know you are all excited, but we are very excited as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jim Foster on Tue, Jan 29 2008, 01:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Jan 29 2008, 03:35 PM

Just checked the iQuad web site. It shows "confirmed" for Kite Party.

This could be a nice little party. :up:

:revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin:
Last edited by Jim Foster on Tue, Jan 29 2008, 03:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 29 2008, 04:07 PM

John, Monks, and Steve are coming down.
I'll be wearing a 1/2 red shirt and a 1/2 iQuad shirt. Or maybe I'll just fly like John :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 29 2008, 08:11 PM

Todays Weather:
3pm: 53°
4pm: 35°, winds gusting to 38 mph
6pm: 21°, winds gusting to 43 mph
7pm: 14°, winds gusting to 54 mph. With wind chill factored in: -11°

Everything is coated in ice, snow blowing sideways, house rattling, wind howling...

Mmmmmmm, Kite Party sure sounds good!

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Jan 29 2008, 10:27 PM

Today's weather....Huntington Beach, CA

3 pm 55 wind 8
4 pm 53 wind 8
6 pm 54 wind 6
7 pm 50 wind 6

Tomorrow is expected to be a little warmer with winds in the 11-14 mph range.

Should be a little warmer when you all get here in about four weeks. :up:

This is gonna be fun.....

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jan 29 2008, 10:38 PM

All I have to add is ...

6 am tuesday...

ZERO DEGREES!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cant we all just come out earlier then the 21st?

LIKE NOW?!!!! :twisted:

Too bad the job and money wont work with me! :evil: :evil:

Its going to be SO KWEL!! 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Wed, Jan 30 2008, 02:19 PM

Mike wrote:John, Monks, and Steve are coming down.
I'll be wearing a 1/2 red shirt and a 1/2 iQuad shirt. Or maybe I'll just fly like John :-D

Um, iQuad is supposed to be a crowd pleaser...

:P
Allen Carter

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 30 2008, 04:01 PM

Kitehead wrote:Um, iQuad is supposed to be a crowd pleaser... :P

You're lucky it's just his shirt he has off. We also have iQuad thongs...

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jan 31 2008, 09:08 AM

Mike wrote:For those of you who haven't flown commercial airlines very much, this is about flying in and out of O'Hare. This post is not to scare you, its just what may happen and how to deal with it and still have fun.

I think my flights thru O'Hare have been delayed 80% of the time. In winter, probably every time. I would check before you head out to the airport in the morning.
Here's my story on the last two flights:

Last month my family flew to California. We were booked non-stop from O'Hare to Orange County.
I did on-line check-in the night before, and I checked the flight in the morning before leaving. Good thing I checked--United Airlines canceled my flight and re-booked my whole family to fly out on the following day (Christmas) without notifying me....

I just read a story that reminded me of the airline difficulties that you talked about in your post here. Thought it might be useful info to add for air travelers to be aware of...

"Stranded at the airport? Don’t forget Rule 240
Flight delayed or canceled? Peter Greenberg on how to get what you want"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22900119/
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jan 31 2008, 03:57 PM

Jeff wrote:"Stranded at the airport? Don’t forget Rule 240
Flight delayed or canceled? Peter Greenberg on how to get what you want"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22900119/

Thanks, I'll remember that phrase: "Hey could ya 240 me?"
United did a rule 240 for me. It doesn't look like Southwest or American support it though.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Feb 01 2008, 02:00 PM

Have fun at the event... you lucky folks! If there is an earthquake while you are there and you succumb, don't worry... i'll make sure that IKE carries on :up: ... and i promise that i won't turn it into more of a dual-line oriented club!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Feb 01 2008, 05:22 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:Have fun at the event... you lucky folks! If there is an earthquake while you are there and you succumb, don't worry... i'll make sure that IKE carries on :up: ... and i promise that i won't turn it into more of a dual-line oriented club!
I think it would become so without your effort at that point. :lol:
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Feb 01 2008, 07:33 PM

Chris Rizzuto will still be here to keep Tom from his nefarious plans.
Besides, if there was an earthquake we probably wouldn't even notice on the beach.

Return to “2008 Kite Festivals”