Kites over Lake Michigan

The 2008 Kite Festival Season Archives
Frodos Majik

Kites over Lake Michigan

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Aug 26 2008, 08:27 PM

Just to let everybody know 180Go! will be performing out at this festival. So if you are looking for some where to fly, come on out. Its a long weekend being a holiday on monday and all. Some of us Ikers were out there last year, had a BLAST and its shaping up to be even better this year. GREAT bunch of people out there too.

Even if it is in cheese land, BEARS fan you know. :twisted:

But really if you have the chance dont pass it up, you will not be sorry!!

Plus you can cheer on 180Go!. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

TeamTrejo

Re: Kites Over Lake Michigan

Postby TeamTrejo » Tue, Aug 26 2008, 09:19 PM

Just be aware that this weekend, in Milwaukee is the Harley Davidson 105th anniversary party. There will literally be thousands of bikes on the road. Be sure to keep alert and give em plenty of space.

As much as I appreciate Harley Davidson I'll be glad to be out of town.
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Tue, Aug 26 2008, 09:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Aug 26 2008, 11:03 PM

Is it Friday yet?

I can't wait to get out there!
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Aug 27 2008, 08:07 PM

Now is it Friday?

No?

:evil:

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Re: Kites over Lake Michigan

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Aug 27 2008, 08:21 PM

:ditto :ditto

NO???! :cry:

but its getting CLOSER!! :wink: :mrblue:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Aug 28 2008, 04:55 PM

Article:
http://www.htrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /808280558

New this year will be kite-fighting demonstrations — ala the best-selling "The Kite Runner" — except these kites will be larger and hexagon-shaped rather than the diamond-shaped kites in the book, he said.

"They're going to try to gain position to try to cut each other's kites down. The last kite standing will be the winner," he said.

A team of precision stunt fliers with quad-line kites have been added to the lineup this year.

"Flyers can do all sorts of stunts and maneuvers. It will be done to music in the background, kind of like kite ballet," Chong said.

The night kite run also is new and will feature kites decorated with steady and blinking lights that are strong enough to be seen from the ground. A bonfire on the beach will add to the ambiance.

"The stunt fliers will be performing, too, with lights on their kites," Chong said. "It's really cool to see all the kites with lights moving through the air in perfect harmony and with precision movement as they are controlled by the kite fliers."

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Aug 28 2008, 08:51 PM

Real nice article should bring out the crowds. If it anything like last year, people will be flowing in and out ALL day long! Again if you are looking for some where to hang out for the holiday weekend this is the place NOT to miss. :up:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Aug 29 2008, 10:42 AM

Hey Man ITS FRIDAY!!!! :mrblue: :mrblue:

Hope to see of you people out at the fest.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Aug 31 2008, 10:54 PM

Was that fun, or was that fun?!

It was a BLAST!!!

So much fun. I am so tired, I'm about to just collapse.

The crowds were huge, especially today. Bright sunshine, not a cloud in the sky.

We did multiple demos both days, the Rok fights....myself, Isaac and Ken did solo demos...180Go! even participated in the Running of the Bols...and our first ever night flight...wow, that was different!

A great reception...we were treated so well. Chow would come around, see how we were doing, see if we were getting enough water, making sure we were happy with the demo area...they really made us part of the event and took care of so much.

We got some very flattering feedback from people at the fest about our performances. I was pleased at how well we did. In fact, there were a couple performances in there that were pretty darn sharp beginning to end. When we hit that thump ending on Oye Como Va...that was too cool. We've come a looooong way since one year ago. I was very proud of the team.

Two Rivers rocks!

Just starting to decompress...I noticed that Jeff from the Lester Public Library in Two Rivers has put up fest photos on Flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesterpubl ... 026356983/
Last edited by Jeff on Tue, Sep 02 2008, 11:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.

IKE is on Image too!

brownssl

Postby brownssl » Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:13 PM

LOOKS LIKE ALOT OF FUN :up:
:SLKani: shawn

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Mon, Sep 01 2008, 08:34 AM

This was one of the best festivals of the year! It should be put on all of the IKE members calendars as a must go next year! Team 180 Go! did an excellent job and had alot of compliments! Ken Krueger did an awesome job captaining the team in Mike's absence! Great JOB Ken! This festival had an estimated attendance of 25,000 per day. It was also great to see Jim and Jen again, Patty and Seve, and all of our other friends we've met along the way this year.

Mike S.

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Mon, Sep 01 2008, 09:03 AM

Here is some 180 Go! video.

[googlevideo]-8931546817081981116&hl[/googlevideo]

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Sep 01 2008, 09:49 AM

Cool, Isaac, thanks for putting that up!

IKE is on Image too!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Sep 01 2008, 02:34 PM

backdraft wrote:This was one of the best festivals of the year!
Mike S.

I'm beginning to see a trend here. When I show up the wind is too high ... or the wind is too low ... or it rains like crazy. Kite flying seems a lot like fishing; "You should have been here last week ... they were really biting then."

Glad you had a great time! And, thanks for the video Isaac.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Sep 01 2008, 03:32 PM

Not to worry Jeepster, there is ALWAYS next year!!! This fest is such a blast to go to. Would have to say it is in the top five of must do festivals.

We really had good to great winds all weekend. Even had just enough to get a few flights in for the night fly. Team 180Go! only did one, O2 and Fire & Ice who are more experienced in that field did most of the night flying. That was one wild trip to do, looking forward to trying it again!!! There was a little miss communication with the sound tent, had us going before all of us were ready. For my first time doing it as leader, I think it was better for me that we only had three of the five up and ready to go. I really would have not been happy if we crash and burned in the dark. But next time we will have ALL ready to go. :up:

The team demos were good, a little ruff around the edges at times, but NO crashes at all. Had some big shoes to fill, but step up to the challenge and did not stumble too bad. Great job Nick, Issac, Jeff, Zak and Chris!! We all should be PROUD of the shows we did. Ann even had me give the sound tent one of our radios. That way after one of the demos were done, the crowd could hear me doing some calling as we did a little team fly. It really went off well. Gave the crowd a little more inside and understanding of what team flying is all about. Thanks for stepping up to do the solo demos guys. Ann really was glad we could fill in some of the time slots because there were no other quad fliers there on sunday. DAD would be very proud of us.

The crowds enjoy watching us clowns running around while doing the rok battles, we even had Jim another IKE member (Mux11) join in for a couple of the battles on sunday. So hey Jim you going to have a rok of your own next time? I know I will.

180Go! even was in a Bol race, which yours truly WON!! Sorry Jeff and Issac but that free ice cream was really, REALLY tasty. :P

Nice video Issac, cannot wait to see some of the others that were filmed too.

I have to say the highlight of the fest for me was yesterday afternoon, while packing up one couple came over and thank me on behalf of the team for coming out and doing what we did. For it was one of the highlights of their vacation. Now I ask you, is that just TOO KWEL or what?!! Makes all the hard work worth while.

Great BUNCH people out there! Counting the days till next year! :up:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Sep 02 2008, 12:05 AM

More pics on Flickr...

These, from Barbara Meyer's daughter... http://flickr.com/photos/nordicteem/tag ... emichigan/

Another Flickr user... http://flickr.com/photos/tditz_gb/sets/ ... 050571175/

And here's some from me... http://flickr.com/photos/19844012@N00/t ... emichigan/
Last edited by Jeff on Tue, Sep 02 2008, 11:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Sep 02 2008, 09:53 AM

Frodos Majik wrote: DAD would be very proud of us.

Way Proud! Great video.
Ken, I had full confidence you would do IKE and 180GO! proud and you certainly did. Totally awesome, guys.

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Tue, Sep 02 2008, 11:55 AM

We had a great time.

180 Go! was very busy. First kites up in the morning and last up in the evening. Team, individual demos, ROK battles, Bol races, played with the spectators, lessons, banners, Ken's fish, SLKs, we did it all.

Awesome conditions. Easily one of the best events of the year.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Sep 02 2008, 11:02 PM

I would really like a copy of ALL videos taken of the 180Go! team flies. Either by email or a copy on disc please. Those spots from the weekend are just a little blurry in my memory. If you can understand what I mean.
Thanks.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Sep 02 2008, 11:14 PM

Here's some video taken by Jeff from the library:

[youtube]9TG8eo8tz0Q[/youtube]

[youtube]c1a4JCgJjTE[/youtube]