2008: May 10, Kites Over Grinnell Iowa

The 2008 Kite Festival Season Archives
Frodos Majik

Re: 2008: May 10, Kites Over Grinnell Iowa

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, May 11 2008, 11:42 PM

What a GREAT time it was this weekend. It is for sure another must do next year!!! Too wiped out from the drive home to do details tonight, but will tomorrow.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 12 2008, 09:15 AM

Ken and I got to do a little flying on Friday. It was fun messing with the pre-school kids at the park.

Saturday rained in the morning, but it let up in time for the actual hours of the fest.
Winds started out light and went up to gusty enough to break a set of 90# lines!

Al put up a ton of big stuff. The big kite field was awesome.

We flew team the whole day. Rose and Mike S. joined in and made it fun flying with a large team.
Chris R flew indoors most of the day and put on a great indoor performance to get 1st at the official AKA indoor competition. :up:

Our hosts were wonderful people. Thanks a bunch to Sis and Dick for putting on a great show. We'll get to thank them again when they come to Naperville to fly with us.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, May 12 2008, 10:55 AM

I was a great time. Winds a little stiff on Sat but we did get to fly.

The festival was very well run and the indoor activities were awesome. Ken & I got to judge the indoor competition on Sat and it was an interesting experience. Chris performed a great indoor routine and took a well deserved 1st place.

Many thanks to Sis & Dick for their hospitality and a great festival.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, May 12 2008, 12:51 PM

Yes watching Mike play with the pre-schoolers was a hoot. The winds were light and Mike would have his kite float down by the kids, then he would tell them all to blow really hard to get the kite up. The fest was a real great time, as I stated before it will be marked down for next year!!

Chris did a great job in the indoor competition. It was great that they had the room for the indoor flying with the rain happening in the morning, but when it cleared up everbody was able to come outside and enjoy all that was there to see.

to be continued later tonght...

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 12 2008, 01:07 PM

IKE has so much to offer at a festival: we even supplied the singer of the National Anthem! Mad props to Rose!

And no, I'm not biased. Ok... yes I am.

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, May 12 2008, 08:53 PM

Finally got pics posted here

Had a great time, just as I did last year. Dick and Sis do such a fantastic job, I look forward to next year. Everything is so well organized, inside and out.

The indoor rec center is the highlight, for the many indoor fliers that attend. The KC kite club did a great job setting up and running the demos and competition.

A big :thanks: to all involved :up: :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Mon, May 12 2008, 09:20 PM

We had a great time, Bean had a great time flying indoor, and I had a fun time flying with 180go!. Chris R. you did a super on your indoor routine. This was a well organized festival great job done by Sis and Dick Vogel and we are looking forward to next year. Rose did fantastic singing the National Anthem that takes a lot of courage especially on such short notice.

Mike S

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, May 12 2008, 11:19 PM

Frodos Majik wrote:to be continued later tonght...

Hate when I start to post at work and then get bumped off for work. :roll:

O Well any way as I was saying... Mike S. and Rose you both did fine flying with 180GO! It was fun flying with everybody. We had a good size crowd on the bleachers watching us thru out the whole day. A HUGE KUDOS goes out to Rose for doing the National Anthem. Job well done!!

Thank you so much Dick and Sis for all you did to get the fest up and running. I will be going back for many years to come!!!

breath on you.

-------

Ken

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Mon, May 12 2008, 11:48 PM

Here is Chris's Winning Indoor Rev routine. :up:

[googlevideo]3346688914640984218[/googlevideo]

Anne

Postby Anne » Tue, May 13 2008, 10:03 PM

Hello,
Here is a link to some photos I took at the Grinnell IA Kite Fest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13176357@N ... 044306646/

Anne

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Thu, May 15 2008, 07:24 PM

Hey all,

What an excellent weekend! It was great to get together with you guys. It's always a good time with IKE players around. Chris, you nailed it on your indoor routine. WTG. The 180 Go members had the crowd entertained for hours, high winds, no problem. I wish the SLK's could have done the same. I so wanted to fly that Cody 6 wing.
Anyhow Grinnell was a blast and I look forward to next year and spending some laugh time with you goofs South of the border. Until next time, maybe Naperville.

Banshee

Ken was a real chick magnet in those hot pants, the chicks are still rumbling back in Iowa
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, May 27 2008, 09:43 PM

Talk about classy. I received a very nice thank you card today from Dick & Sis for coming to the festival. How sweet was that. You can be sure 'll be back again next year. Not just because of the card, but because of the entire excellent experience.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, May 28 2008, 06:39 PM

as did I.
I had also sent an email to them a few days after the fest was over personally thanking them for all that they did and for the invite to come out and play.

I too will be back next year, what a classy bunch of people and a GRAND time was had!!!

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “2008 Kite Festivals”