2008: March 22, Kites Over Sycamore, IL

The 2008 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

2008: March 22, Kites Over Sycamore, IL

Postby Mike » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 10:08 AM

From the AKA website:

KITES OVER SYCAMORE IS A FUN, FAMILY EVENT. FROM 10:00-4:00 WE HAVE MAKE AND DECORATE A KITE IN OUR CONSERVATORY, WITH POPCORN AND COTTON CANDY!
OUR KITE FLY IS AT HIGH NOON IN THE SYCAMORE PARK ANNEX DIRECTLY BEHIND THE FLOWER SHOP.

Map

I was there last year and it wasn't much more than a club fly. However, it was a fun club fly.
The weather forecast is for cold but sunny, so if you live nearby... go fly a kite!

It's 3 hours each way for me, so I don't plan on going there right now. But if a lot of people start posting that they are going, you know I'll make the drive.
So if you want to have a club fly / fest this Saturday, start posting and start an avalanche of posts...

Jeff

Re: 2008: March 22, Kites Over Sycamore, IL

Postby Jeff » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 10:28 AM

Well, shoot. Didn't know this one was coming.

Don't know if I can do it with the short notice.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 10:56 AM

Jeff wrote:Well, shoot. Didn't know this one was coming.

Yeah, I missed it too.
Thanks go to Drachenshwanz for pointing out the omission. :up:

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 07:17 PM

Sorry but I will be taking a pass on this one this time around, even thought it was a fun kite fest/club fly last year.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 07:37 PM

Easter weekend, church, drumshow and no babysitter... unfortunately, I'll have to pass also.. even if I had known about it...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 08:15 PM

If the weather holds out, I'll probably be there. :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

akillip

Postby akillip » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 08:23 PM

We will see what the weather is going to do. Only a two hour drive for us.

Tony

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 08:50 PM

Can't make it. Despite what i previously wrote, Marla has been getting worse lately. She now has extreme pain in her hip/leg area; hopefully, it is just a pinched nerve or sciatic nerve and not joint deterioration. Tomorrow we are going in to Rush in Chicago to look into the possibility of neck surgery.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 09:12 PM

I'll be there and hopefully have some of the family too, just to sport a few IKE shirts!

I finished the MAKR star train today so that will be up and maybe even the Wazo, if I ever figure out the lines!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 06:15 PM

Jeff wrote:Well, shoot. Didn't know this one was coming.

hey ya'll :)

Didn't know about KOS myself until the other day when I happened to be cruising the AKA's events calendar. Checked the weather forecast for Sycamore & on Saturday it's supposed to be 35-40 degrees (cold but doable), at least partly sunny, and winds 6-10mph outta the NNE. Not too bad all in all...just dress warm.

Don't know about the rest of yas, but this guy is TIRED of being couped up all winter long (can you say CABIN FEVER?!?!?). Right now I've tentative plans to road trip down to Sycamore for this minor event (3.5hr drive). Rather depends on who else is also gonna be there however...don't care to be the only one showing up.

Just bought a collection of really unique Scott Hampton art kites; they arrived this afternoon. Will be bringing them along (assuming I do go).

I'm sure quite a few of you have some brand new toys to show off from your recent visit to MAKR as well.... I'd luv to check it out!!!

"get high on kites"

Jeff Hale - Neenah, WI

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 09:08 PM

LOL, Saturday's weather is supposed to be nice, we're expecting around 6" of snow between Thursday evening and Friday night! :rotfl

That could make for some interesting flying. I guess the kites won't be on the ground so it should be ok, right?
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

infl8able

Postby infl8able » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 09:11 PM

I'm planning on making it - I have to show off my MAKR banners - one from '07 and the '08 model as well! May not stay long as we have family coming in for Easter...I need to get out and fly - MAKR really whet my apetite.

Hope to see more folks there - fyi there's an Easter egg hunt for all kids in the AM before the fly. Good candy! :mrblue:

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Mar 20 2008, 08:11 AM

I won't be making it there. Thailand was great but grueling and I caught a nasty bug from the kid in the row behind me who coughed for 13 hours. I am finally starting to feel better, but I am not up to hauling big kites around.

Now I just have to figure out where I am going to lay the Gecko out to repair it. It has three holes totaling five to six feet in length. :( Not at stress points, so I can use Tear Aid to fix it. For those of you unfamiliar with Tear Aid is is a VERY strong, mostly clear repair tape. Too heavy for little kites, its other downfall is its EXTREMELY high tack, you touch it to the kite and that is where it will stay. So, for big tears everything needs to be stretched out flat and lined up perfectly before the backing gets peeled off.

Have fun in Sycamore,
Alan Sparling

akillip

Postby akillip » Thu, Mar 20 2008, 06:49 PM

We've decided not to go. We will wait for a little better weather.

Tony

infl8able

Postby infl8able » Fri, Mar 21 2008, 07:45 AM

Killips -

We woke up to snow this AM here in Sycamore...some may call me a wimp, but I think I'll stay in and work on my MAKR projects...maybe I can get my Fan Ban done!

The skies look very scary right now - like they'll dump more inches of snow if we look up corss eyed! :(

We'll try to catch up with you in April - what events are planned in IL for April :?:

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 21 2008, 10:35 AM

infl8able wrote:Killips -

We woke up to snow this AM here in Sycamore...some may call me a wimp, but I think I'll stay in and work on my MAKR projects...maybe I can get my Fan Ban done!

The skies look very scary right now - like they'll dump more inches of snow if we look up corss eyed! :(

We'll try to catch up with you in April - what events are planned in IL for April :?:

No snow in Champagin! :P Sunny skies right now and 48°

All of these fests are in large parks in April:

April 5:Glenview. A new fest and nobody has posted about going to that one. You could start the interest by posting here.
Several members are making the trip to Ohio that weekend.

April 19th: Oswego is probably not too far for you and is probably your best bet. Should be a good IKE turnout.

April 26-27: The Decatur festival is two days of fun. Should be a good number of attendees here too. Further south = warmer weather?

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Mar 21 2008, 03:25 PM

I think there's about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground now. Blech. It was really hard to force myself to look outside, but I did it.

If the sun comes out and looks to run this white shtuff off, maybe we'll go, but I don't expect to make a day of it. The flower shop is usually a nice reminder that spring is coming.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Fri, Mar 21 2008, 08:20 PM

April 5th there's a local fly in Chillicothe IL too. It's near Peoria. Nice little town by the river. If I remember correctly, three sisters park has some impressive open spaces!
Chillicothe is where I married my lovely bride!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 21 2008, 09:29 PM

Here's the info I found on it.
Apr. 05

Go Fly A Kite
Sponsored by: Chillicothe Optimist Club

Three Sister's Park
Chillicothe, IL

Kari Schmidt
kari@towngallery.us
309-274-8696

According to Google, click here for a map.

I don't know if its worth starting another thread for a small festival like this though. There are a ton of them in Illinois this time of year. I try to only post the bigger fests or ones sponsored by Chicago Kite.

Return to “2008 Kite Festivals”