Grand Haven?!?!?!?

The hottest quad team in the Midwest!
Trigger

Re: Grand Haven?!?!?!?

Postby Trigger » Fri, Apr 05 2013, 07:33 PM

got our reservations at the Days Inn.. friday and saturday night..

Would love to meet up with everyone.. maybe we can utilize the facebook site to keep in touch

Tmadz,, we'll post lots of pics!

I don't think i can make it till sept... how bout this weekend?

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Fri, Apr 05 2013, 08:30 PM

I'm planning to be on the beach Friday by noon-ish. If the breeze is good that night I may do some night flying instead of going to the indoor demo. Sat is 180GO! in Valparaiso. ... hopfully back to Grand Haven in time for a megafly, if it happens. Saturday night night fly... bring your glider kites if the winds are down.... dollar store finger lights...start your collection now. Sunday, get on beach early to stake your flying spot... or use short lines to play more with the kids.
Let's get out there and FLY!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Apr 05 2013, 08:46 PM

I like your plan . . . mine is similar. I just booked the Muskegon Hampton (using points) for the 17th - 19th.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Fri, Apr 05 2013, 09:28 PM

I would be up for a Fri night fly for sure... just happen to have some lights on ALL my kites.. that could use a work out!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, Apr 06 2013, 07:04 AM

Trigger wrote:I would be up for a Fri night fly for sure... just happen to have some lights on ALL my kites.. that could use a work out!

...and ONE set on the side? :shock:

:jester:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Sat, Apr 06 2013, 10:13 AM

goestoeleven wrote:I like your plan . . . mine is similar. I just booked the Muskegon Hampton (using points) for the 17th - 19th.

We stayed at that Hampton Inn a couple years ago. It was nice and only 10-15 minutes from the beach. A word of warning, though: If it's a beautiful Sunday, plan to get to the beach early. Our first year, Peggy and I worshiped at a Grand Haven church before going to the kite fest. By the time church got out late morning, the road to the beach was jammed with townies heading out there just to be on the beach. We sat in traffic for half an hour! For the same reason, take a lunch ... don't try to leave and return either day.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Sat, Apr 06 2013, 10:19 AM

cadguy wrote:I'm planning to be on the beach Friday by noon-ish.

We'll probably get their mid-to-late afternoon Friday, depending on how motivated we are to get our butts out of bed Friday morning and how much we dally along the way. We often stop for lunch at a cool little orchard bakery-cafe in Fennville, Mich. and sometimes visit the Fennville vinyards, as well.

Anyway, we'll look for David when we hit the beach. Maybe I'll bring out my new rainbow Rev.

I don't know how late Valpo goes, but unless Valpo goes really late, 180 Go! should have no trouble getting to GH in time for the Saturday night fly, which doesn't start until like 9-ish.

I've watched but never flown in the night fly.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sat, Apr 06 2013, 03:13 PM

Shari booked us a room for friday and saturday night. Not sure where, I just know it was the same hotel we stayed at a couple years ago. My family is planning on coming up with us to hang out for the weekend. I am not planning on going back to valpraiso unless the family decides not to come. So we should be there friday at lunch time through sunday afternoon.

O2bkytn

Postby O2bkytn » Sun, Apr 07 2013, 06:16 AM

This year will be our first trip to Grand Haven! :up:
I've heard a few comments that flying space is a little on the small side.
I have quite a few single line things/laundry/ground bouncers etc. Is there room for guys like me? Or should we plan on mostly Revs?
Nothing really huge...in the 50-190 sq. ft. range with "smallish" laundry.
The 20th is our 36th anniversary, so this will be our celebration! :-)

TIA
To paint the sky is why....

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Apr 07 2013, 09:18 AM

I've only been once (last year), and the weather was hot & sunny. The challenge I found with Grand Haven is that the beach near the parking lots is packed with people if the weather is nice. If I recall correctly, the festival only has three roped off areas - the performance field, the big show kite field, and the revolution teaching field (which was really quite small - maybe 80 foot lines max). So there's no "club" or practice field for sport kites. The beach near the parking lot was covered with people, because the kite fields force all the people into the remaining strips of beach. So, you had to head south or north to find enough space to fly revs - and I'd bring shorter line sets (if you have them) in addition to longer lengths as you'll need less space to fly. BTW, there were plenty of people with mid-sized lifters and line laundry south of the main flying fields, and some people flying sport kites to the north as well. Lots of kites in the air, and lots of kite people & spectators, so it's well worth attending. Just plan (as mentioned earlier) to get to the beach early in the day (and not leave) if the weather is nice (and hopefully WINDY).

Congrats on the anniversary - I can't think of a much better way to spend it!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Sun, Apr 07 2013, 07:34 PM

11's scouting report it spot on. This will be our forth consecutive year attending and I've yet to try to fly any sport kites on the beach. Earlier in this thread, I posted an aerial map of the festival. Ignore area "F." It didn't exist for the past couple years. Area "I" is where a lot of people fly SLKs, but on a nice day, that section of beach gets crowded with regular beach-goers, so safely flying a sport kite would be a challenge. I've seen cadguy and others flying one of Revs between Area "E" and the shore, where there's a small trip of beach.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Apr 07 2013, 08:58 PM

I have been there twice and both times I have been able to fly most of the day. As long as you are capable and comfortable flying around people. The strip of beach is where I usually fly during the day. I have done most of my flying early and late in the afternoon, but flew off and on all day. 75' lines are recommended. Unless the wind is coming down the beach and you can fly over the lake.

O2bkytn

Postby O2bkytn » Mon, Apr 08 2013, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the great info guys, hope to meet some new friends next month! 8-)

Shari

Postby Shari » Tue, Apr 09 2013, 12:39 PM

FYI...........

There are several people staying at the Best Western in Grand Haven which is one of the bigger hotels in the area. It is not too far to drive to and from the beach. It is nothing fancy but it is clean and they have a nice set up for breakfast everyday.
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 16 2013, 09:08 PM

The forecast for Grand Haven is looking pretty chilly. That's not a bad thing for the kiters that are going though. The beach wont be crowded with sunbathers and there should be plenty of room to fly!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Apr 16 2013, 09:10 PM

Where are you seeing a forecast for a month from now?

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 16 2013, 10:18 PM

Jeez, forget all that. I blame jet lag...

O2bkytn

Postby O2bkytn » Thu, Apr 18 2013, 05:09 AM

Finally "pulled the trigger" on hotel reservations for the 17th - 19th.
Really looking forward to meeting and flying with some new kite friends.

Shari

Postby Shari » Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:29 AM

Mike wrote:The forecast for Grand Haven is looking pretty chilly. That's not a bad thing for the kiters that are going though. The beach wont be crowded with sunbathers and there should be plenty of room to fly!

This made me laugh :) :up:
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, Apr 18 2013, 10:13 PM

Mike wrote:Jeez, forget all that. I blame jet lag...

Good morning, Mike!

Return to “180GO!”