Team flying--the ladder

The hottest quad team in the Midwest!
Mike

Team flying--the ladder

Postby Mike » Wed, May 26 2010, 09:12 AM

Jeepster did a nice power-point of doing the ladder move.
Notice that first and last kites just go in a straight line and the middle kites make nice rectangles.
All turns are counter-clockwise.

I auto-generated this web page with power-point, but it will do.
Click here.

Jeepster

Re: Team Flying--the Ladder

Postby Jeepster » Wed, May 26 2010, 11:21 AM

Actually, I gave Mike four different methods of doing the ladder. The one he published above is the "Indiana Ladder" ... exit from the fountain, initiate with the #1 kite going upward, and make all counterclockwise turns. There are two other fountain exit ladders that have been diagrammed. And, there is the "Standard" one that you guys were trying to teach me.

I diagrammed the Standard Ladder to try to made the maneuver simple enough for me to understand. For the Standard, ALL turns are clockwise and the pattern is very simple ... straight lines and simple rectangles. When I showed it to Mike, he asked if I could reverse it and diagram what was being tried in Indiana. The interesting thing is that the pattern is the same, but the turns are simply reversed ... ALL turns are counterclockwise. Hmmm ... even I can remember to watch the first kite turn and then make all my turns in the same direction. And, I can do simple patterns, so maybe I won't be such a klutz next time.

Enjoy,
Tom

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, May 26 2010, 12:37 PM

Mike wrote:Jeepster did a nice power-point of doing the ladder move.
Notice that first and last kites just go in a straight line and the middle kites make nice rectangles.
All turns are counter-clockwise.

I auto-generated this web page with power-point, but it will do.
Click here.

I didn't actually realize the last kite was to make its turn so immediately. I thought it moved just a little forward before turning again.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, May 26 2010, 04:29 PM

Jeff wrote:I didn't actually realize the last kite was to make its turn so immediately. I thought it moved just a little forward before turning again.

One thing I found out is that anyone who tries to document maneuvers for everyone is tilting at windmills. Sunday, I asked a couple of the iQuad guys how they did a certain maneuver - can't remember which one I asked about right now - Bazzer looked at me, laughed and said "oh, you've got a name for that move ... we just say do that jump up thing." I think he was halfway serious. Also, they define what I diagrammed as four ladders!!!

Jeff, you can do an immediate (180 degree turn) or extend the straight part a little - like you suggested - or a lot. They'll all work. Or, my favorite ladder out of the fountain is what RevRiders do ... two right-hand ladders (defined as one-quarter of what I diagrammed), a straight stretch and then a left hand ladder ... ending up in position for a slide. Watch it at about 3:15 minutes. The 45 degree landings and jumps aren't that cool, but the latter exit is.

Cheers,
Tom
[youtube]BtfoTq_Lh6c [/youtube]
Last edited by Jeepster on Wed, May 26 2010, 04:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “180GO!”