Governors State University Demo/Fly/Educational Class

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Mike

Governors State University Demo/Fly/Educational Class

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 11:16 AM

Hi y'all,
some of you may have seen this post earlier:

Hello I.K.E. members -
I am the Director of the Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park at Governors State University. I'm interested in exploring the idea of a kite fly focused on youth involvement in late March here at the park. We have loads of open land with no powerlines (we DO have trees . . . ) dotted with world-class contemporary sculpture. I'd like to communicate with someone in the club who could provide information about how this might be organized.

The director, Geoff, called me last night and then followed up with this email:

Thanks for the time last night and your suggestions about kite designs. I looked up weather underground and did a little bit of research and came up with April 19 for the date. The temps look pretty good, historically (except for last year, but I’m hoping we’re not trending that way) and it’s Earth Day so we can tie it in graphically somehow.

Would you please ask around with the group and see if there might be some folks interested in participating in the following schedule?

8:30 Event begins – brief power point presentation about the history & different cultures’ attitude toward kites.

9:00 Kites distributed and decorating begins

10:00 Decorating continues – those that are ready move to flight area

10:00 - 11:30 Kids Fly

11:30 - 12:30 IKE demonstrates/flies kites – if it’s nice then people could just continue to fly

12:30 – Event officially ends. Folks can continue to fly.

He plans on inviting kids 8 and up, accompanied by their parents. I'm guessing that he's doing the powerpoint presentation and then he'll have kite kits for the kids to assemble and decorate. Then the kids fly their kites and then we do a demo of different styles of kites.

I think some IKE folks should come to help for the day. We would help the kids make and fly their kites and then show the kids and their parents a variety of kites. SLKs, fighters, Roks, dualies, quads, etc.

Geoff is especially interested in 3D kites. Someone with an inflatable medium-sized Gecko or Fish sort of thing, as well as 3D art kites. Something like those Canard kites would be cool. And we'll fly sport kites too of course.

Here's the location of the event: click here.

This is the same day as Oswego, which may be a problem.

Let me know if you're interested by posting here or sending me a PM
Let me know if you're interested but have a conflict with the date.

If you need gas money, I'll bring it up with Geoff.

(p.s. this would be a good time to be able to hand out a brochure with a list of upcoming festivals in the area....)

Babbman

Re: Governors State University Demo/Fly/Educational Class

Postby Babbman » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 11:45 AM

ah, conflicts are fun..

I really think Oswego is an up and coming event and I wouldn't like to short change it for a smaller event like this.

Just my opinion.

Also, this is typically when I have Drumshow so I won't be straying too far from home.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 12:01 PM

I agree with babb

We should not short change the Oswego Event

Maybe there are a few people near gov state already that could help

Thanks
Dave
www.chicagokite

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 01:33 PM

I'm not suggesting changing the Oswego date.
I asked if anyone was interested in doing this whether or not there was a date conflict.

It's no use asking Geoff to change the date if no one wants to do it anyway.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 03:48 PM

That would be a tough one for me. It's a haul for me to get to either one, but Oswego is more makeable, and that's what I was planning on.

Of course, all events near this time are subject to interruption for me, as my wife will be 8+ months pregnant by then. Even on a different date, conditions are such that I can't make a strong commitment. In other words, I'd like to, but I can't say that I will be able to.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 03:52 PM

Mike wrote:I'm not suggesting changing the Oswego date.
I asked if anyone was interested in doing this whether or not there was a date conflict.

Mike,

The short answer to the question for me then is that I will be doing Oswego that day. If Drumshow is the same day as it was last year, then I need to be close to Naperville.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 04:44 PM

Sigh. I guess I'm not making myself clear.
This is about education, it's something the SLK folks can enjoy, and it's a simple question.

If the Governor's State affair was on a different date--
If Geoff changed the date--
If the date was one in which there was no conflict with anything else, even football, basketball, curling, or whatever--
If you could pick the date--
Assuming the date of the Governor's State thingy was held on a date in which you personally had nothing else to do --
If the date was one on which your significant other was asking you to paint the house, mow the lawn, shave your father-in-laws back...

Would you want to do the Governors State thing?

Babbman wrote:
Mike wrote:I'm not suggesting changing the Oswego date.

Mike,

The short answer to the question for me then is that I will be doing Oswego that day. If Drumshow is the same day as it was last year, then I need to be close to Naperville.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 04:52 PM

That's the day I usually shave my butt... :rotfl

Mike... you didn't say that before... you only stated that this would be held on the same day as Oswego in which case, I personally would not be able to do it.

were it to be held on a weekend day that didn't already have a significant festival scheduled, then I would be happy to go and do it.

Gas money would be most appreciated.

Chris (aka Babbman)

akillip

Postby akillip » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 07:58 PM

Ann and I would be interested in going. Would like more info on the flying area. If the area is to small for the Octopus and Trilobite we could fly a range of smaller kites. Its a 190 mile drive for us so a tank of gas would be most welcome. Any contact info?

Tony & Ann Killip

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Dec 04 2007, 09:16 PM

Yippy finally one that may mushroom in MY back yard. Yes I might be willing to go there. :mrblue:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Dec 07 2007, 10:24 PM

It's Oswego for me. But if they change the date, i'll be there. i go around there a lot with Marla to take the Metra to Chicago and back. i wonder where the exact location is... and how many trees are in the proposed area. i can't trick well with a lot of trees around. (i love trees, but i hate them around flying fields!) :roll: i believe there are a number of rather open areas.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 23 2008, 09:50 PM

Hi Guys,
the new date is May 3rd.
I have a limited amount of gas money.

Who's interested?

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Mar 23 2008, 10:24 PM

i'm in! But i do not relish getting up early on a weekend! :( ugh!

You can car pool with me if you'd like, Mike. We go there now and then to catch the train to Chicago on those days when we get sick of driving all the way.

P.S.- Happy Easter everyone! i had a great Easter! We had a huge family party at my sister-in-law's. i managed to sneak out of the party and fly a Sea Devil for 50% of the party time! There is a huge field on a hill just two blocks from her home... at a nice park. Sweet! Marla wasn't even upset! :mrblue:
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Mar 23 2008, 11:49 PM

That figures, one in my backyard and its got to be on the same weekend of another fest. Even with changing the date.
I am already committed for that weekend out in Lake Story. So you will have to count me out. As it has been typed already Too many fest - Not enough time. :roll: Which really is not a bad thing. Just why does it have to be in my backyard?! I could have slept in for a change. :P
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 08:26 AM

Tom,
unfortunately, I can't go, I'll be flying kites in a foreign land at that time.

Everyone else:
You would get to be in the spotlight as there wont be any other kiters--the audience will love what you do.
You'll get to spread the word about kites to a new audience.
SLKs would be great as well as sport kites.
And they'll give $50 gas money each to up to 3 members.

SO we've got Tom doing dualies.
How about someone with some nice SLKs to decorate the sky?

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 09:00 AM

Latest info:
The schedule will probably be modified a bit – we may make the dedication of a sculpture the opening element of the day. IKE members would be welcome to attend – there’ll be food, coffee, etc.

Here’s what I’m seeing at the moment:

8:30 Dedication/seasonal opening of the park

9:00-9:15 Move inside to kite creation/presentation area

9:15-9:30 Kite history presentation (power point)

9:30 Decorating begins

10:00 Decorating Continues, Kids/Parent who are ready move to flight area

10:00-11:30 Kids fly

11:30-12:30 IKE Demonstration

12:30 Event officially ends

Let me know how this would work with your folks. We plan on doing a full-court press for publicity for the day. These will be the first of these types of event that the sculpture park has ever presented (during its 30 year history) so I’m expecting good coverage and decent attendance. It would be great to be able to say that IKE was participating.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 11:51 AM

Tom, do you have any SLKs to decorate the sky?
If not, I'll loan you some.

Unless someone with some SLKs wants to go too...

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 08:53 PM

i only have SLKs for the kite festival for the handicapped at work... and i can't use those; they aren't mine personally. i'm not familiar with flying the better SLKs! i might inadvertently straggle somebody!
Tom P.

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Apr 25 2008, 05:04 PM

Anyone else interested in doing this event, PM me ASAP. This is the last call, and there is still $50 gas money available for 2 or 3 folks each to help out. He is getting ready to cut checks, so I need names in the next day or two.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Knoted4ever

Governors State

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Apr 27 2008, 08:12 PM

Looks good!

i am still having trouble with my computer... so i hope that i can keep in touch regarding this! Brother!

Return to “Club Discussion”