Indiana Dunes in August

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
luke.moore

Indiana Dunes in August

Postby luke.moore » Mon, Apr 27 2015, 09:54 AM

My family (in law :-? ) is making a trip to the dunes this August. I plan to occupy myself as much as possible by flying. Anyway, I've never been there or near Chicago that time of year. Can anyone tell me what kind of winds to expect that time of year? I'll be there from the 1st-4th.

goestoeleven

Re: Indiana Dunes in August

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Apr 27 2015, 01:54 PM

Winds at the dunes can be awesome - especially if they are coming off the lake. We fly there in mid/late September for the IKE retreat (it's on the IKE calendar - hint hint), and we've had some really great days.

However . . . there are times at the beach where there is not much wind. Sometimes the thermals over the land cancel out what little wind there may be and leave you on the beach with almost no wind at all. Bring some zero / low wind kites for those times. That seems to happen more during the middle of the day (late morning to late afternoon). But overall, when there's wind, it's some of the best in the area.

When are you going? You might get a few IKE people to come visit the dunes . . . if you want company. Most of us work, but if the days are long enough you might get someone stopping by in the evening.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Apr 27 2015, 02:37 PM

Keep in mind that school is out and the beaches will be crowded. Even on Monday and Tuesday. And the sand will get quite hot.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

luke.moore

Postby luke.moore » Mon, Apr 27 2015, 04:22 PM

I plan on getting there early on August 1st or maybe the night before. I'll put up a quick fly announcement a little closer to that weekend.
So are you hinting that I'm invited to the retreat? I can probably talk the wife into it. Do you have a structure to the retreat or is it more like a hangout weekend?
Sounds like fun either way.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Apr 27 2015, 04:58 PM

Of course . . . everybody is invited to the retreat. It's a laid back / hang out weekend for kite flying. No festival, no crowds, just hanging on the beach and flying. We usually have some impromptu revolution group / team flying - but nothing formal. It's just a relaxed fun time to fly single / dual / quad kites. Some people camp at the dunes, but most stay in a hotel where we get a group rate. I've done both.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Apr 27 2015, 08:15 PM

Everyone is invited to the IKE kite retreat in September. Bring a kite, bring the family. Good times for all.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 27 2015, 09:03 PM

yup, you are invited--the more the merrier!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:33 PM

makatakam wrote:Everyone is invited to the IKE kite retreat in September. Bring a all the kiteS, bring the family. Good times for all.

FTFY.

"A" kite is never enough . . . although there are usually plenty of OPK to fly at the retreat . . . I seem to recall flying yours a lot last year . . .

luke.moore

Postby luke.moore » Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:41 PM

Sounds like a plan then. What are a couple of kites i should aquire for the retreat? Anyone have a special request or wishlist kites? I need to pick up a SUL/indoor dual kite and an 8+m2 traction kite before then and my ranges (dual and quad) will be covered. Other than those, are there any "special" dual/quad kites i can track down that anyone may enjoy flying? Im really liking the collector aspect of this hobby and any reason to add another is a good reason.

PS - If my wife is angry at the retreat, let's not talk about kite collecting. :thanks: :-D

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Apr 28 2015, 06:24 AM

Agreed. We will not talk about kite collecting, and we will not talk about the number of kites in the collection . . . .

Standard answer to the question of "Is that new? I haven't seen that one before" is to say "nope, I've had this one for a while . . . . "

I was about to say that I didn't buy any new kites this year . . . . but then I remembered the two new kites I made at U-Make plus the kites I won in the U-Make raffle . . . so I think I'm something like +4 or +6 for the year (so far). I lose count . . . .

Need to get rid of a few to keep the balance right . . . just never seem to get around to that part . . .

p.s. for indoor, I like my indoor rev, my emong, and my iflite . . . . although I rarely have a place to fly them. Best indoor spot of the year is the center of the Holiday Inn where we stay for the Two Rivers festival (Labor Day weekend in Wisconsin).

p.p.s - have you checked out the calendar link (and have you gone to the google calendar for the full year list)? The retreat is scheduled for Sept 19-20 this year.

luke.moore

Postby luke.moore » Tue, Apr 28 2015, 08:33 AM

I got a for sure yes for the retreat and we are booking rooms tonight. I saw the Google calendar and it's full of things i want to do. I just wish wasn't 6 hours away from every event. I don't mind driving but my wife doesn't understand why i can't just go fly in a field by the house. I'm working on her. She really is a great supporter of my hobbies.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Apr 28 2015, 08:47 AM

luke.moore wrote:I plan on getting there early on August 1st or maybe the night before. I'll put up a quick fly announcement a little closer to that weekend.
So are you hinting that I'm invited to the retreat? I can probably talk the wife into it. Do you have a structure to the retreat or is it more like a hangout weekend?
Sounds like fun either way.

Seriously, I've had more fun at the IKE retreat than at any other kite event. Period.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Apr 28 2015, 08:48 AM

luke.moore wrote:I got a for sure yes for the retreat and we are booking rooms tonight. I saw the Google calendar and it's full of things i want to do. I just wish wasn't 6 hours away from every event. I don't mind driving but my wife doesn't understand why i can't just go fly in a field by the house. I'm working on her. She really is a great supporter of my hobbies.

Booking rooms? Has Mike already setup up the group rate?

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Apr 28 2015, 08:50 AM

luke.moore wrote:Sounds like a plan then. What are a couple of kites i should aquire for the retreat? A

Bring whatever you feel like flying. Group flying is done with Revolution 1.5s, but there are always extras of those on the sand (some people have rather large quivers and are extremely generous with their kites).

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:38 AM

FYI Luke. Mike Kory tries to get a group rate at one of the nearby hotels. He'll post the info the closer we get to the retreat. If you can beat it, no problem. No pressure. Just fun having more people there.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:29 AM

Good point - you might not want to book a non-refundable room. You can get a placeholder now and then rebook later once Mike gets a room block. In prior years we've stayed in Chesterton at the Hilton Garden Inn, and then the last couple years we've gotten rooms at the Best Western (although I camped one year and booked too late for the BW last year).

luke.moore

Postby luke.moore » Tue, Apr 28 2015, 02:59 PM

I can just wait then. I wasn't aware that you guys did the group rate booking thing. I just like getting things locked in so she is less likely to change her mind. No problem waiting. It sounds like fun!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 28 2015, 07:16 PM

The group rate isn't always much of a discount, so go ahead book a refundable rate. The Best Western Indian Oak is convenient to the beach and you can walk to where we have dinner on Saturday night.
I'll see what I can do about getting a block of rooms this early.

luke.moore

Postby luke.moore » Wed, Apr 29 2015, 07:17 AM

Sorry, wasn't trying to rush things.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Apr 29 2015, 05:44 PM

luke.moore wrote:Sorry, wasn't trying to rush things.

No worries, it's better than when I put off to the last minute :)

Return to “Club Discussion”