3rd annual IKE Kite retreat! September 21st / 22nd

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
KiteVoice

Re: 3rd annual IKE Kite retreat! September 21st / 22nd

Postby KiteVoice » Wed, Sep 11 2013, 10:05 AM

Darkspark wrote:I don't recognize any names, but I have a hard enough time remembering everyone named Mike.

LOL! Always reminds me of the Monty Python philosophers sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, Sep 14 2013, 09:32 AM

KiteVoice wrote:I searched the Duneland Chamber of Commerce website and YouTube and didn't find the interview (although I did find a bystander video of last year's retreat, below). Did anyone get her business card?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iyd7OfptVM

Too bad they couldnt get the front of the IKE foil. But saw a lot of familiar kites.

And I think it would be easier to call everyone Bruce instead of Mike.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Sep 14 2013, 03:03 PM

Nice find on the video!
I wrote to them last week but I haven't heard back...

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Sun, Sep 15 2013, 12:07 PM

With the anticipation growing of spending the weekend camping and flying on the beach, I pulled out the camper, cleaned her out and started packing for the weekend festivities. My wife came out and looked around and asked "Is there any room left for my stuff?" to which I reply....with great regret...."Your still going?" She huffed and said she will just put her stuff in the jeep. She walked around to the back of the jeep which was still hooked up to the camper and noticed the back of the wrangler filled with kites and the dog peering over from the front seat. She exclaims, " where am I even going to sit?" and I responded, again with even more regret in hindsight, I thought you said you were not going?..This lead to her ultimately letting me know she had no intention of letting me and Piper (our 100# Bernese Mountain dog), go have fun all weekend without her, so, we repacked the camper and the jeep to make room for momma. I still haven't had much time with the rev B since I bought her, so I am looking forward to possibly getting some help with set up and flying tips this up coming weekend. What little sticks time I had on Triggers SLE gave me the bug, but work and other things have precluded any good time on mine so here I sit in the rain on a Sunday morning wishing this work week goes really fast. See you all real soon.
Blue skies and Steady Winds

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Sep 15 2013, 12:10 PM

That is funny, Somehow Shari and I will make this trip, Kites and all, in our Miata. Although we have taken to strapping the rev bag behind the headrests when the top is down. I may be calling my buddy Big Bruce....Er Mike... to toss a couple things in his slightly larger vehicle.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Sep 15 2013, 02:28 PM

Mytoyz wrote:With the anticipation growing of spending the weekend camping and flying on the beach, I pulled out the camper, cleaned her out and started packing for the weekend festivities. My wife came out and looked around and asked "Is there any room left for my stuff?" to which I reply....with great regret...."Your still going?" She huffed and said she will just put her stuff in the jeep. She walked around to the back of the jeep which was still hooked up to the camper and noticed the back of the wrangler filled with kites and the dog peering over from the front seat. She exclaims, " where am I even going to sit?" and I responded, again with even more regret in hindsight, I thought you said you were not going?..This lead to her ultimately letting me know she had no intention of letting me and Piper (our 100# Bernese Mountain dog), go have fun all weekend without her, so, we repacked the camper and the jeep to make room for momma. I still haven't had much time with the rev B since I bought her, so I am looking forward to possibly getting some help with set up and flying tips this up coming weekend. What little sticks time I had on Triggers SLE gave me the bug, but work and other things have precluded any good time on mine so here I sit in the rain on a Sunday morning wishing this work week goes really fast. See you all real soon.

lol! So, she's still coming then?

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Sun, Sep 15 2013, 04:19 PM

Mike,

We managed to remove one cooler and one kite bag, that gives her enough room for essentials in the camper. I still don't understand why one would take a dress bag to a state park camping, but I truly don't think I understand women. I do know howeve,r the next quiz I take that has answers like "I do" I will listen to the questions much more closely than the last time!

zero1199

Postby zero1199 » Mon, Sep 16 2013, 01:18 PM

The 21th for sure for me.
Wind WNW at 11 mph

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 06:52 AM

zero1199 wrote:The 21th for sure for me.
Wind WNW at 11 mph

Is that a wind request or are you that good of a prognosticator? ;)
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

zero1199

Postby zero1199 » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:13 AM

You can call it that Todd. So who is in for this weekend for sure, and what day? Lets make a headcount!

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:34 AM

The wife and I are in for sure rain or shine. we got the camp spot right by the path to the beach. Be there Friday night thru Sunday night.

Dennis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:44 AM

They are sold out online - how did you get a site?

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:49 AM

zero1199 wrote:So who is in for this weekend for sure, and what day? Lets make a headcount!

Barring unforeseen circumstance, I'm there ca. 10 a.m. Saturday and return home sometime that evening (like after supper, if we all dine together).

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:57 AM

goestoeleven wrote:They are sold out online - how did you get a site?

I'm totally surprised that the park campground is sold out this long after Labor Day but that's how it looks to me, as well.

If you wanna camp and can't get a space in the state park, there are other nearby campgrounds listed on the visitor bureau website.

You might also call the state park directly to a.) confirm that the web reservation system is correct and b.) find out if there's a way to take advantage of any cancellations.

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:00 AM

KiteVoice wrote:

I'm totally surprised that the park campground is sold out this long after Labor Day but that's how it looks to me, as well.

If you wanna camp and can't get a space in the state park, there are other nearby campgrounds listed on the visitor bureau website.

You might also call the state park directly to a.) confirm that the web reservation system is correct and b.) find out if there's a way to take advantage of any cancellations.

the gate guy told us that some people don't even show up or cancel. If you show up Saturday morning I would check with campground lady.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:04 AM

Agree with Steve, all the 1.5 revs are nice and fly well.
Also I believe Big Mike is coming to the retreat and he is a licensed rev dealer. I am sure he probably has a few revs also.
http://www.thekitesite.net
Be worth calling him to see what he has on hand.
Looking forward to this weekend!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:47 AM

Darkspark wrote:Agree with Steve, all the 1.5 revs are nice and fly well.
Also I believe Big Mike is coming to the retreat and he is a licensed rev dealer. I am sure he probably has a few revs also.
http://www.thekitesite.net
Be worth calling him to see what he has on hand.
Looking forward to this weekend!

Big Mike has kites on hand? :shock: Uh oh. Actually, I'm on Rev "pause" for a while. Besides, he won't have a Shook, or an Indoor, or custom B-Pros on hand . . . . that's what's on the "wish" list. Better buy some Powerball tickets . . . .

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:54 AM

Mytoyz wrote:
KiteVoice wrote:

the gate guy told us that some people don't even show up or cancel. If you show up Saturday morning I would check with campground lady.

Yeah, as soon as Dennis posted that he got a spot, I checked the web site, then called the park. They said they don't have any waiting list, and I just have to keep checking back to see if there are cancellations. However, I'll have to cancel the hotel by tomorrow or Thursday, I think, in order to meet the cancellation deadline. I'll probably watch the weather, cancel the hotel, and chance it that I can camp.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 12:10 PM

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday, spending Saturday night at the Best Western.

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 01:48 PM

Are you tent camping? Or RV?

Return to “Club Discussion”