3rd annual IKE Kite retreat! September 21st / 22nd

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Mytoyz

3rd annual IKE Kite retreat! September 21st / 22nd

Postby Mytoyz » Sun, Jul 14 2013, 08:40 PM

Any plans for this event happening in 2013? I flew at the dunes today and it was great, till the wind quit. Anyhow, seems like it was a great event to get most club members at one fly.

EDIT by MIKE: (so that this info is at the top of the thread)
Here's the hotel info:
We will be staying at the Best Western Indian Oaks.
To get the following rates you must call (219) 926-2200 or toll free 800-552- 4232.
Tell them you are calling for the group rate for "kite flying day" (I didn't come up with that name)

The date for the room is:
Saturday Sept 21, 2013
and the rates are:
Std. 2 Doubles Non Smk : $89.99
Lakeview King Non Smk : $99.99
Lakeview 2 Queens Non Smk : $109.99

Also, you have to reserve the room before September 1st to get these rates
And finally, to cancel the rooms, you will have to give 48 hours notice.
Blue skies and Steady Winds

makatakam

Re: 3rd annual IKE Kite retreat?

Postby makatakam » Mon, Jul 15 2013, 08:34 AM

Check the IKE retreat thread, lots of folks attending.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Mon, Jul 15 2013, 05:29 PM

Found It!! I am such and idiot

swannie

Postby swannie » Mon, Jul 15 2013, 09:45 PM

I must be an idiot as well ... I tried various searches and browsed the forums and I can't find this thread anywhere? :)

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Mon, Jul 15 2013, 09:52 PM

Its under 2nd annual kite retreat. the posts dated 2012 so I assumed it was last years, never assume till you read the last post and date! I am going and hope someone will have a rev they will let me abuse for a while. Never flown 4 line, but looks interesting. Not ready to buy one till I try one. I was going to try it at Grand Haven as I promise myself every year, but bought some large kites and figured the wife would kill me as I already spent a grand at Mac Kite the week prior to the fest. does this addiction ever end?

swannie

Postby swannie » Mon, Jul 15 2013, 10:37 PM

I have a 1.5 SLE you're welcome to try. There are probably others in the group that could instruct you far better then I however. :)

Thanks for the info on the right thread to look for!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Jul 16 2013, 08:54 AM

KiteVoice wrote:
Mike wrote:That seems ok to me. Tentatively, we'll plan it for 9/21 -9/22. But we'll have to see how it meshes with the Wisconsin and Indiana kite clubs as well as other festivals.

I'll let you know when HKS releases its 2013 calendar.

Wow, I forgot all about this. The HKS calendar is online at http://www.hoosierkite.org. The only September event on the HKS calendar is the annual Merritt Beck Memorial Fun Fly in Muncie, Sep. 14 at the Academy of Model Aeronautics in Muncie (site of an AKA national convention some years ago). All IKE members are of course invited.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Jul 16 2013, 08:55 PM

The past two years have been a blast. More fun than most festivals in IMHO. Mike usually gets this stuff posted and organized, but he has been quite busy and out of town.
I believe the weekend above is the plan for now. And I always have a spare rev for someone to use. Chance to drag someone else over to the dark side. We have cookies!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jul 16 2013, 08:58 PM

OK, I think we can call this the "official" 3rd Annual IKE Retreat thread . . . unless Mike decides it needs to be in the "Club & Quick Fly" forum. Thanks for getting us started, Mytoyz.

You are correct, there was a request last year from several people (and at least one this year that I traded emails with recently) about moving the weekend up to the September 21st / 22nd. I'm believe I'm good with that weekend (although I do need to clear it with my wife). Does it work for everyone else?

I'll try to give the hotel a call sometime later this week and see if they have a group rate. Can people chime in regarding whether or not they might want a room so I might have an idea of the count for when I talk to the hotel?

I'll also have a spare rev . . . or maybe more than one . . . :oops: in case people want to try them out.

swannie

Postby swannie » Tue, Jul 16 2013, 10:14 PM

At least the official "3rd annual IKE Kite retreat" thread starts out with two of us calling ourselves idiots. :-D

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jul 16 2013, 10:19 PM

swannie wrote:At least the official "3rd annual IKE Kite retreat" thread starts out with two of us calling ourselves idiots. :-D

You know, you can edit your posts . . . Just sayin'

swannie

Postby swannie » Tue, Jul 16 2013, 10:23 PM

I thought changing it to "I must be the smartest man on the plant as well ..." might look a little suspicious... :)

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Jul 17 2013, 01:20 PM

goestoeleven wrote:OK, I think we can call this the "official" 3rd Annual IKE Retreat thread . . . unless Mike decides it needs to be in the "Club & Quick Fly" forum. Thanks for getting us started, Mytoyz.

You are correct, there was a request last year from several people (and at least one this year that I traded emails with recently) about moving the weekend up to the September 21st / 22nd. I'm believe I'm good with that weekend (although I do need to clear it with my wife). Does it work for everyone else?

I'll try to give the hotel a call sometime later this week and see if they have a group rate. Can people chime in regarding whether or not they might want a room so I might have an idea of the count for when I talk to the hotel?

Works for me! ...Glad we have an actual 2013 thread! :up:

(Room for me!)
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Wed, Jul 17 2013, 06:22 PM

I live about 15 minutes from the beach, so no motel. we might even camp if weather is good. Looking forward to the weekend.

Dennis

Mike

Re: 3rd annual IKE Kite retreat! September 21st / 22nd

Postby Mike » Thu, Jul 18 2013, 08:41 AM

Thanks for getting this going guys.
Is everyone here on Facebook? Perhaps we should set up a Facebook event for this.

We also need to know who's coming so we can reserve a block of rooms. If you're at least 80% sure you're coming, chime in, the rooms will be cancelable.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Thu, Jul 18 2013, 09:12 AM

We are in!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, Jul 18 2013, 09:54 AM

Mike wrote:Is everyone here on Facebook? Perhaps we should set up a Facebook event for this.

I am not a Facebook user, so please continue to post here any information you post on Facebook.

Mike wrote:We also need to know who's coming so we can reserve a block of rooms. If you're at least 80% sure you're coming, chime in, the rooms will be cancelable.

I hope to come. Have not yet spoken to the lovely wife but doubt she'll be interested, so don't know yet about overnight. Consider me 50% on a room. Will keep you posted.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Thu, Jul 18 2013, 02:32 PM

i am all in! no room for me though.

mytoys, i am on vacation this week in ct. i plan on being back next saturday. r u available for a quick fly next sunday? you can use my rev and do like i did last year and buy your own just before the ike retreat and pick up some pointers from the pros when your there.

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Thu, Jul 18 2013, 04:42 PM

Trigger wrote:i am all in! no room for me though.

mytoys, i am on vacation this week in ct. i plan on being back next saturday. r u available for a quick fly next sunday? you can use my rev and do like i did last year and buy your own just before the ike retreat and pick up some pointers from the pros when your there.

Trigger, would that be this Saturday the 20th or next Saturday the 27th? I was planning on making a trip up to See Steve and the crew at Mac Kite this Saturday or sunday. If he still has a Barresi B-Pro I might own one for the trip back. I want to order a custom color B-pro Standard in Chicago Blackhawks colors but I am afraid it will take a while to get it. are the EXP's or SLE's good kites with room for advancement? If they don't have a B-pro, might just grab those. After all, you can never have to many kites, right?

Dennis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jul 18 2013, 05:40 PM

Suggest you guys start a quick fly thread to avoid confusion . . . But it's all good.

Mtoyz, I am guessing you also kite board or surf based on earlier posts and the affinity for MACKite. Hoping you bring some big stuff to the retreat :-)

Btw, I like all the kites from Rev, including the EXP. I'd love a B-Pro set, but I am happy with all my kites.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am testing the "too many kites" theory
Last edited by goestoeleven on Thu, Jul 18 2013, 10:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Club Discussion”