2nd Annual IKE Retreat! Sept 29-30

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Shari

Re: 2nd Annual IKE Retreat! Sept 29-30

Postby Shari » Thu, Sep 06 2012, 01:11 PM

Mike wrote:I'll be bringing plenty of quads....and cookies.

Don't forget the Cheesecake for Rose.... :queen: The Birthday Girl!!!
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:42 PM

goestoeleven wrote:
KiteVoice wrote:Could probably be talked into trying someone's Rev., if they're brave enough!

You bet, I have a couple "beater" revs for exactly this purpose. Any chance I can get some time on a beater dualie (but one that's better than my mass market dual line)?

. . . brave . . . I'll just stand outside the reach of the lines :)

Steve, show me yours and I'll show you mine. I've got a kite you can beat up on. Don't worry about it Mr. Big 180 GO member.

I'm going to make it for one of the days.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Sep 06 2012, 11:08 PM

TMadz wrote:
goestoeleven wrote:
KiteVoice wrote:Could probably be talked into trying someone's Rev., if they're brave enough!

You bet, I have a couple "beater" revs for exactly this purpose. Any chance I can get some time on a beater dualie (but one that's better than my mass market dual line)?

. . . brave . . . I'll just stand outside the reach of the lines :)

Steve, show me yours and I'll show you mine. I've got a kite you can beat up on. Don't worry about it Mr. Big 180 GO member.

I'm going to make it for one of the days.

Hey now, I may be overweight, but I'm no Mr. Big. And this isn't a competition - I'm just in this for fun, and to learn as much as I can along the way. BTW, you can fly my revs any time. Careful though, it's addictive . . . I'm just getting back to a tiny bit of dual flying after a couple solid years of nothing but Rev flying after I tried out the dark side.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Sun, Sep 09 2012, 12:51 PM

Well it looks like i will be a darksider by then! Ordering up a red 1.5b tomorrow :-) maybe you guys can show me how to use it when i get there. I would have gone with something cheaper but with 2 frames it seemed like the best deal.
Please still bring the cookies! :-)

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Sep 09 2012, 05:56 PM

Very cool! We'll show you how to set it up and take it down like a pro.
And I'll still bring cookies :)
And a cheesecake :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 10 2012, 11:27 AM

@tmadz -

Hey, sorry if I overreacted the other day in my reply here. I had a stressful day at work. I did pick up a used prism e2 at Mots so now I will be able to fly some dual line stuff with y'all.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Mon, Sep 10 2012, 12:13 PM

goestoeleven wrote:@tmadz -

Hey, sorry if I overreacted the other day in my reply here. I had a stressful day at work. I did pick up a used prism e2 at Mots so now I will be able to fly some dual line stuff with y'all.

FWIW, although your original message was not directed at me, I did not take it as overreaction. And I thought TMadz was just having some fun with the 180 Go reference. Just goes to show how easy it is to interpret written messages in ways the author didn't intend!

About the E2, I've never seen one, but I've heard good things about it.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Mon, Sep 10 2012, 06:40 PM

I plan playing in the dark side as well as the light. :) This will be so much fun.
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 10 2012, 08:32 PM

I'll have to dig up the kite that I have that's a cross-dresser. It looks like a Dual but flies as a Quad.
I'll also bring a quad-line pig.
Gotta hunt around the basement and see what else I've got...

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Wed, Sep 12 2012, 01:55 PM

goestoeleven wrote:@tmadz -

None taken Steve. Sometimes I hate the 2 dimensionality of the written word.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Sep 12 2012, 03:54 PM

Sounds good. BTW, I "accidentally" picked up some ancient dualies as part of a package deal for an old Rev2 . . . so there may be even more stuff to lawn-dart into the beach that weekend (assuming I can come up with some replacement spreader parts by then for the dualies).

Anybody heard of a "Stinger" dual line kite? My research on GWTW indicates that it was around in the early '90s - and that some people used them in competitions in that timeframe . . . . it'd be a bit out of date now, but maybe it will be interesting to fly.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Wed, Sep 12 2012, 06:48 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Sounds good. BTW, I "accidentally" picked up some ancient dualies as part of a package deal for an old Rev2 . . . so there may be even more stuff to lawn-dart into the beach that weekend (assuming I can come up with some replacement spreader parts by then for the dualies).

I like to buy parts like that from Jon and Marieanne Trennepohl's shop in Michigan, Kites and Fun Things. If they don't stock what you need, they'll probably be able to get it for you. For an older kite, you might have to figure out for yourself the sizes you'll need.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Sep 12 2012, 06:59 PM

KiteVoice wrote:I like to buy parts like that from Jon and Marieanne Trennepohl's shop in Michigan, Kites and Fun Things. If they don't stock what you need, they'll probably be able to get it for you. For an older kite, you might have to figure out for yourself the sizes you'll need.

Yeah, they are a good source for spars and such. I will see if I can work out the diameters . . . I might have to visit my friend with the micrometer. That kite's also missing the standoffs.

Plus I'd like someone to give me an opinion on the line set for the rev . . . I think it might be so old it's kevlar (which means it'll probably go into the garbage). Funky old school plexiglass line winders though . . . I'll keep those.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 12 2012, 08:15 PM

Rev 2s are fun! It's been a while since I've flown one. I'll have to bring mine to the retreat too.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Sep 12 2012, 09:34 PM

goestoeleven wrote:
KiteVoice wrote:I like to buy parts like that from Jon and Marieanne Trennepohl's shop in Michigan, Kites and Fun Things. If they don't stock what you need, they'll probably be able to get it for you. For an older kite, you might have to figure out for yourself the sizes you'll need.

Yeah, they are a good source for spars and such. I will see if I can work out the diameters . . . I might have to visit my friend with the micrometer. That kite's also missing the standoffs.

Plus I'd like someone to give me an opinion on the line set for the rev . . . I think it might be so old it's kevlar (which means it'll probably go into the garbage). Funky old school plexiglass line winders though . . . I'll keep those.

I have 3/32" solid carbon rod and vinyl caps in my inventory; we can make stand-offs on the spot at the retreat, depending on how they attach to the sail.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Wed, Sep 12 2012, 10:33 PM

Only a few weeks away. I'm getting excited to be at my first non-festival-like fly. I hope we get some good winds and lots of fliers. I've gone off the addiction deep end and have lots of new toys to play with. Heck, I may even fly the quads although there's almost no chance of me buying a Rev. I've got too many dualies that I want to touch, buy and fly.

I hope no one has gotten any hard feelings from my posts. I'm only playong with you all darksiders. :-P

zero1199

Postby zero1199 » Sat, Sep 15 2012, 02:16 PM

I really wish I could go to this, hopefully I can find a babysitter for that weekend. 

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Sun, Sep 16 2012, 10:24 PM

I am SORRY TMADZ!!! They were just to powerful with all their COOKIES(they had Peanut butter for crying out loud)!!!

i will represent the dually's also! I just hope i can get a couple of the fundamentals down with the REV before i get there! Time to sign up for the other site and get JBs video's etched into my head!

I did come across a Rev flyer that allowed me to crash his kite a few times.... he showed me how to break it down and the line management. Now if you guys can just show me how to put it together and FLY it... that would be GREAT! :)

thank you.... and SORRY.... in advance! :-D

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Sep 17 2012, 03:29 PM

Trigger wrote:I am SORRY TMADZ!!! They were just to powerful with all their COOKIES(they had Peanut butter for crying out loud)!!!

i will represent the dually's also! I just hope i can get a couple of the fundamentals down with the REV before i get there! Time to sign up for the other site and get JBs video's etched into my head!

I did come across a Rev flyer that allowed me to crash his kite a few times.... he showed me how to break it down and the line management. Now if you guys can just show me how to put it together and FLY it... that would be GREAT! :)

thank you.... and SORRY.... in advance! :-D

Jim, at least there is another person dedicated to kiting, even if it is another darksider. ;) You have found the motherload of experienced fliers with the people in this club. You'll be painting the sky by time you leave the retreat. I only wish that I didn't have such a sweet tooth. It'll be harder to get out of there without a Rev than it is to fry a snowball. I am talking to Jon T to get a light Std Widow. I hope to have it by time of the retreat

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Mon, Sep 17 2012, 03:44 PM

TMadz wrote:It'll be harder to get out of there without a Rev than it is to fry a snowball.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Club Discussion”