Illegal Kiting

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
grigorib

Illegal Kiting

Postby grigorib » Sat, Dec 19 2009, 10:34 AM

Happened to me back in September on a beach at Ocean Shores, WA. I rented a MBS mountainboard, took 3m foil and 13m LEI to the beach which was flat, wide, long and smooth. It was gorgeos which i couldn't say about wind - it wasn't strong enough for 3m but the 13m would pull me just well. So I rode quite a distance and in the end when I was going to start driving back I've noticed a police SUV coming to me. The officer greated and said that he has to intervene. He asked me if I knew it's illegal to ride like that. The fun ended. He said the beach is a state highway, pulled out a book and found a section with a short list of illegal beach activities like buggying, parasailing, kite sailing, using unlicenced vehicles, etc. with a possible fine up to $300. Kiteboarding wasn't there so I pointed that out and also said that the board is just like a skateboard and is far from a buggy. He pointed that it's ptretty big for a skateboard. Asked him if I rode just a kite on my feet if that would be ok and he said yes. Asked him how he handled previous cases and he said he hasn't had to handle kiteboarding yet. After couple of minutes of discussion he agreed it's a gray area. Finally. Where's gray there he shouldn't "intervene" so he said I can go back and ride but he's going go check and find out and come back. No fine yet and no equipment seizure. He said he can't ask me to stop because he doesn't know for sure now. Asked him if there's a reason why I shouldn't do it at all - it's not safe for me, public, beach or what...Apparently it was because of the beach is a state highway and it's listed in the book what not to do. Told him I don't want to get a fine when he comes back either and he promised not to give me the fine today for kiteboarding. He was looking at me all the time with a smile I wouldn't trust. He didn't say "I won't seize your equipment", nor "If I find out it's illegal I'll come back and ask you to stop first". Just no fine now and no fine later and so I could imagine few scenarios how it can end without geting a fine right away but getting into even a bigger trouble. It would bug me to go to court in 4 hours drive from Seattle. I told him I'll wait for him and I did. The wind got lower, fun was ruined, my family was waiting for me so we played with our kid instead for a while and started to pack. The cop didn't come back. Anyone has a kiting experience like that? Any tips and hints?
Attachments
09091829 - Ocean Shores, WA.jpg
09091829 - Ocean Shores, WA.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 960 times
09091816 - Ocean Shores, WA.jpg
09091816 - Ocean Shores, WA.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Last edited by grigorib on Sat, Dec 19 2009, 11:01 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Mike

Re: Illegal Kiting

Postby Mike » Sun, Dec 20 2009, 10:22 AM

Good story, I haven't had any trouble flying Revs. Even flying them on the street in Tokyo seemed OK.
Didn't David Kovacs run into some trouble when flying in Italy?

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Sun, Dec 20 2009, 06:22 PM

Mike, I did not run into any trouble. What happened was when I was ready to fly, right next to the Colloseum, a police car drove by and stopped about 100 feet away, facing my direction. So, before I launched I went over to the police car and simply asked if it would be ok to fly for a few minutes. The officer said something to his partner then looked back at me and said,"OK, you fly." I flew for about 5-6 minutes and my then girlfriend (now wife) took some pictures, I landed, packed up, and then the police car drove away. My first international fly, Sweet!
So, if there's any questions about flying illegal or not, i'd say to ask first if possible.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year everyone! :-)
David
Attachments
rev-Rome09.jpg
(notice police car below kite)
rev-Rome09.jpg (122.11 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Last edited by cadguy on Sun, Dec 20 2009, 06:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Dec 20 2009, 07:12 PM

David, I like that photo.
Happy Holidays to you and your new wife!

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Dec 21 2009, 12:43 PM

It is illegal to fly a kite on the beach in front of the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. At the south end of the hotel, there is a breakwater. It is OK to fly south of that breakwater. Flying north will get you a ticket. There are no signs stating the law. It is up to you to know the law on Coronado Island.

Mike, you know Tom King, well, his sister-in-law has a condo across the street from the hotel. Tom flies there often and learned about the law from another kite flier in the area. That's how I found out about it.

The sign thing seems unfair, but that is the way it is.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Return to “Club Discussion”