Competition insights from other forums

Discussion about stunt kite competition and up coming competitive events
Babbman

Competition insights from other forums

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 25 2007, 05:59 AM

An interesting take on light wind competition from the Rev forums:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php ... ost&p=5075

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

takoboy

Re: Competition Insights From Other Forums

Postby takoboy » Mon, Jun 25 2007, 04:47 PM

In reference to the above posting:

In the Midwest we really have difficult wind conditions. When there is no wind, and I am competing in a Multiline discipline, I fly a my Ultralight 1.5 Rev on 50#, 75' line. I do feel that 75' is a little short because when I fly my standard Rev, I am on 90#, 90'.

I feel that flying on shorter lines may work for some people, but it's not what I like to do. The thing that really makes you a better precision flyer, and a better flyer in general is lots of practice.

Zach

Babbman

Re: Competition insights from other forums

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jun 26 2007, 08:58 AM

Zach... can you give us a bit of your insight on low/no wind flying? Especially in a competition setting I had a hell of a time not just keeping the kite up, but keeping enough pressure on the sail to make it do what I wanted.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

takoboy

Re: Competition Insights From Other Forums

Postby takoboy » Tue, Jun 26 2007, 10:33 AM

One of the ways that I am able to fly in low/no wind is that I intentionally practice in no wind.

Also, when there is no wind, many flyers change the settings on the Rev to make it have more forward drive. I don't do that. I keep the same settings as if I were flying a standard with 90# line as I do flying my ultralight with 50# line.

To keep pressure on the sail, walking backwards and side to side on the field helps keep pressure on the sail. In a competition, I try and use as much of the field as possible.

Other than that it's just time on the kite in sometimes crummy Midwest conditions!

Zach

Return to “Competition”