Midwest Region Kite Competition in Milwaukee, WI

Discussion about stunt kite competition and up coming competitive events
cf143db

Midwest Region Kite Competition in Milwaukee, WI

Postby cf143db » Mon, May 07 2012, 11:06 AM

Hey people! I got the information for the Midwest Region Kite Competition in Milwaukee. Now after going to many different sites to figure out the different terms I finally figured it out. Donn and I fly Multi-Line and I couldn't understand why they didn't offer Novice, needless to say I figured it out after reading the post from 2007 that they don't offer it. They only offer Experienced, YICKS! I want to try and compete but the compulsories that are being judged scare the crap out of me. I am doing pretty well with flying but I'm very lucky if I can get flying backwards to work. I really don't want to make myself a laughing stalk. Good god decisions, decisions. :shock:

Mike

Re: Midwest Region Kite Competition in Milwaukee, WI

Postby Mike » Mon, May 07 2012, 12:13 PM

I don't think there is a novice class for quad-line kiters, just experienced and masters. So all the beginners start in the experienced class.
If flying backwards is still tough, you could skip the precision and just enter the ballet. At least you used to be able to do that.

I recommend that you give the competition a try. The other competitors and judges will be very supportive and you'll learn a lot.
Besides, not a lot of quad fliers compete, so you have a good chance of placing!

I didn't even know that Milwaukee hosted a competition event. Is it new? Do you have a link?

cf143db

Postby cf143db » Mon, May 07 2012, 02:16 PM

This is what I got today.

http://www.aka.kite.org/club-house/aka- ... comp-in-wi

I don't think there is a ballet :cry:

But then again I didn't think about the fact that there may not be alot of Quad fliers either. :up:
If Donn and I do enter which is a good possibility than we may also consider pair flying. But that may be harder than single flying.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, May 07 2012, 06:05 PM

So . . . when I was out at WSIKF last year, they had novice multiline precision, and it included compulsories for quadline. My son David and I were the only two who entered for quadline, so. . . . we placed :up: One of the compulsories for quads was supposed to be flown backwards, but David told the judges before he started that he was going to fly it forwards, and they were fine with that.

I agree with Mike on competing just to learn. It's worth it just for the experience. I'd do it again, even if they only had experienced class - you learn things like what you're supposed to do for the judges, how to get on and off the field, etc.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 07 2012, 08:26 PM

cf143db wrote:This is what I got today...
I don't think there is a ballet :cry:

I think they will still have Ballet. They just listed which precision figures they will be judging because you need to know those in advance.
If you don't know what the figures look like, they are here: http://reeddesign.co.uk/kites/iskcb/index.html
They're pretty tricky.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, May 07 2012, 09:57 PM

:shock: "Pretty Tricky" ?????????? ...Yikes!!!! :wallb:

Well, at least the entry fee is worth twice the price for 'first time competitors'!

...and 9am registration? :zzz: (You guys know me!) ...No promises here! ;)
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

cf143db

Postby cf143db » Mon, May 07 2012, 10:22 PM

Well Donn and I are first timers so its free for us. :up: I plan on practicing my kite off till I can't anymore. :guns: I have a feeling I'm going to surprise myself with what I can do verses what I think I can do. Then listen and pick a song that I like out of my 300 song selection I have! :jester: Neither of us think Pairs is a good idea at this time so we only need to focus on our own stuff. :twisted:

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Thu, Jun 07 2012, 04:01 PM

Just a refresher and reminder that this event is being held this Saturday:

From Dave Bush:

"We are having a kite comp!!!!
On Sat. June 9th we will be having the Midwest Region Kite Competition in Milwaukee, WI at Veterans Park. The event will be hosted by Back 2 the Wind Kite Club. Scott Fisher and Gift of Wings will be on hand to provide food and kite vendors to those attending the event. Competition figures will be posted on the AKA calendar soon. Cost will be $15 per flier with 1st time competitors FREE!
We hope by having the event at this locale we will encourage fliers from all over to attend. Thanks!

(and an update) The precision comp will not be league style it will the three figures flown separate and the 1- 3 minute free style".

From me:
I believe sign-up is on the date of the event (Saturday) at 9am.
WHO'S ATTENDING????????????
I realize 180GO will be in ND so (dang) they're out! :-|
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jun 07 2012, 09:02 PM

Uh oh. You just caused a problem for me . . . . my wife is working and somebody needs to take my daughter to her softball game . . . but I want to show up. Not sure what this will cost me with the wife, but at minimum it will be any other club fly this weekend. Not sure I can make it but I might try. Can you tell me what the quad compulsories are going to be, in case I can show up?

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Fri, Jun 08 2012, 08:54 AM

Steve ~ Too much to list here...BUT... check out the following sites:

http://www.aka.kite.org/events/calendar

and on Facebook: "Midwest Region Kite Competion" (there are two pages listed on Facebook) one by Sid and one posted by Dave Bush.

(Further questions contact Dave)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jun 08 2012, 01:22 PM

Jynx - thanks! For some reason, I couldn't pull up that calendar the last time I tried to get there, but this time it opened just fine. Still not sure . . . but maybe I'll make it up there with David.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jun 09 2012, 08:40 AM

On my way!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jun 09 2012, 10:25 PM

Fun time - thanks for reminding me!!

cf143db

Postby cf143db » Thu, Jun 28 2012, 08:08 PM

RESULTS ARE IN!! :up:

http://www.aka.kite.org/kite-genres/spo ... kstandings

I have to read the damn book again to figure out what the points detail. :jester:

Steve: Did you get an email or notification about the results for you? :guns: :-P

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jun 28 2012, 10:12 PM

Ah . . . . but you see, I entered for fun. I did not enter for AKA points. No points, no place. No place, no problem. I still had fun flying and enjoyed a nice day at Veterans Park & seeing everyone fly. Maybe next year I'll enter for points . . . or maybe just for fun . . . .

cf143db

Postby cf143db » Thu, Jun 28 2012, 11:52 PM

Ah okay. I still thought reguardless if you are aka or not that you still would have placed. Donn and I are very happy we were able to compete with you. And I personally thought your technical was badass!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jun 29 2012, 07:46 AM

Thanks! You guys were great also - keep up the good work & keep practicing!

Return to “Competition”