What goes around, comes around

Talk about anything you want
Babbman

What goes around, comes around

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 25 2007, 01:22 PM

Just gotta love this one...

In 1991, I was working on a project that was installed in Smyrna, TN at the Nissan Factory. It was coming up on June and I had planned a vacation to Denver with my girlfriend. About 2 days before the vacation, I got a call from the customer saying that they had burned up 10 IBM Artic Cards through a wiring mistake. Simple enough, cough up $20,000 and get new cards and install them.

So I get in my car with my girlfriend and drive to Denver. On our second day there, I got a frantic call from work saying that I HAD to go to Smyrna, RIGHT NOW and help them fix what they screwed up. So, I have to get a plane ticket to Chicago for the girlfriend ($1200) and a limo ride home for her and for me, a ticket to Smyrna ($1400) and all my gear shipped in separately. Oh yeah, I had to leave my car in Denver.

When I get to the plant later that day, I find out that they had replaced the cards they burned up and everything was working fine. BUT, they wanted me to stick around for 3 days just to be sure... remember, I was technically on vacation. after 3 days, I flew back to Denver to get my car and drive to Chicago alone.

Needless to say, I was rather more than PO'd but you gotta have a job... BTW, I made the 1000 mile trek in 11 hrs... that was with about 7 potty breaks for something that I ate that was rotten in Denver...

In return for going above and beyond my duties, I got nothing... and an 'oh well' from my boss... gee, thanks...

Now, flash to today....

The same boss comes in my office and starts cussing about one of our customers. He has a vacation with his girlfriend planned to go to England next month and the customer wants him to leave to go to Australia for a project startup on the day before his vacation is over. The boss starts pissing and blowing about how that screws him over and how dare they do this to him. In fact, they even suggested that he just fly from England to Australia rather than coming back to the states (I was going to suggest this earlier today when the rumblings about this were starting...lol). the boss looks at me and says, with an entirely straight face "what am I supposed to do with the girlfriend, send her back alone?

:shock: :shock: :rotfl :rotfl [smiley smilie=9 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=FFFF00 shieldshadow=1]What's good for the goose....[/smiley]

I looked at him straight in the eye and said "You don't want to ask me that question"... I then reminded him that the customer comes first and oh BTW, I had to do that once here"... and reminded him of the situation I had. Then he mumbled something about his $5000 plane ticket and I told him that after he got done in Australia, he could always fly back to London and use his $5000 ticket to get back home...at that point, he had nothing more to say other give me a sheepish look and walk back to his office...

It only took 16 years but I finally got some serious satisfaction out of my personal dedication and sacrifice...

:up: :up: :up:

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

chicagokite

Re: What Goes Around, Comes Around

Postby chicagokite » Mon, Jun 25 2007, 01:34 PM

Mike

Re: What goes around, comes around

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 25 2007, 03:00 PM

Good story.

Invis

Re: What Goes Around, Comes Around

Postby Invis » Tue, Jun 26 2007, 08:27 AM

Nothing like REVENGE KARMA!

Babbman

Re: What goes around, comes around

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jun 26 2007, 08:38 AM

I'm really not very evil :twisted: ... although I would like to be sometimes...

I don't go for revenge as I firmly believe that what goes around comes around... plus, I always try to live by the motto of not doing to others what I don't want done to me..

BUT...

that incident has always angered me as no one else here at the company will allow themselves to be bothered while on vacation... I can't tell you how many times I've had to cover for people yet get no coverage in return...

So, when this came up, it really fulfilled the adage of "Revenge is a dish best served cold".

The way I look at it is that no boss should tell others to do something that they are not willing to do themselves.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Return to “Not Kites”