Blog

Talk about anything you want
Draftnik

Blog

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Jun 01 2007, 04:18 PM

My late night musing after working at a wildlife rehab center.

http://draftnik.blogspot.com/
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Re: Blog

Postby Mike » Fri, Jun 01 2007, 08:07 PM

How's that first wood duck doing?

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Jun 02 2007, 10:07 PM

He's fine. :-) This big batch of wood ducks has done much better then others we've gotten in. He's out at our second stage facility getting used to the outdoors and waterproofing. The facility I work at handles the neonates and trauma cases. Once they're cleared, they are moved to another facility with outdoor cages and begin to learn to survive on their own. Once they're able to demostrate survival skills, they are released. Most likely he'll get soft released, which means they'll leave the gate open and continue to provide food and shelter until the ducks move out, on their own.

Thanks for asking 'bout him!
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:27 AM

"waterproofing?"

Armor All? Deck Sealer?
Swimming Lessons?

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 12:36 PM

I've updated my blog, inspired by your questions, Mike. Yea a duck needs to be waterproofed :mrorange: -all the birds require it-before release. Preening is needed and the hatchlings don't do it themselves. Immaculate cages, and supervised contact with water to swim in, and dry time, are what we do to assist the grooming proccesses that waterproof them.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 02:07 PM

Very interesting??? :shock: I didn't know you were doing such an admirable job.!
As I was reading your blog, I came across this...

Found some wild critter?
and my answer is yes... In 2005, in Huntington Beach, CA. I found Mike Korey :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Want to give rehabbing it a shot? ...I just don't know if he can get rehab... :rotfl

Think twice... Oh, I just don't know... He is too deep into the dark side for rehab... :rotfl

Please forgive me Drafnik, I couldn't help it... :oops:
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 02:28 PM

:rotfl You're right, it's too late for me!

[marquee direction=right]right[/marquee]

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:21 PM

The whole lot of you 4 liners are hopeless! :P

:mrviolet:
TTFN,

Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Jun 05 2007, 12:21 PM

Interesting stuff indeed!

While leaving to return home, after the Naperville Festival, i observed a couple of separate batches of Canadian Geese, with their young fledglings. Both groups were crossing the busy traffic intersections slowly. It sure made me hold my breath... and, of course, there were some motorists who were keen on getting on with driving... placing all of them in jeopardy. The precarious situation that they all were in made me quiver a bit! Also, on the way home, a single deer was attempting to cross the street in front of my car in a heavily wooded area.

It sure is tough for wildlife these days. We humans are practically everywhere... and there is little natural habitat left for them to function properly in; it must be very difficult for them to adjust to concrete, fences, power lines, and all the other unnatural oddities that we humanoids put up.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “Not Kites”