Video Problem

Talk about anything you want
Mike

Re: Video Problem

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 10:01 AM

Jeff wrote:But actually, what I did was take your original file, which was around 145MB and I transcoded it into a WMV file that is only about 24MB. That is what I uploaded to Google video. Now Google does still transcode it again, and that took it down to about a 7MB FLV file.

Did you catch that Hector?
Save your video as a WMV file (Jeff, what settings/compression did you use for the WMV?)
Then upload to google.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 07:23 PM

Is there a reason why Google and not YouTube, or just a matter of personal preference?
Alan Sparling

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 07:45 PM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:Is there a reason why Google and not YouTube, or just a matter of personal preference?

Just a preference, I guess. I've used both, and they're not that dissimilar.

But there are features on Google that I like a bit better.

1. If you want to keep a video private, on Google you just have it excluded from search results, so the only way a person can view it is to know the exact URL of the video. On YouTube, making a video private just means that only your "friends" can view it, but they still have to have accounts and log on. With Google, I can simply give my aunt the link to see a video, she clicks, it plays...no sign on.

2. When you embed a YouTube video on a web page, you get a YouTube watermark in the lower corner. Google keeps their brand off the picture, and just on the edge of the player.

3.You can link directly to a point in time on a Google video by adding time to the end of the URL.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 08:04 PM

Mike wrote:
Jeff wrote:But actually, what I did was take your original file, which was around 145MB and I transcoded it into a WMV file that is only about 24MB. That is what I uploaded to Google video. Now Google does still transcode it again, and that took it down to about a 7MB FLV file.

Did you catch that Hector?
Save your video as a WMV file (Jeff, what settings/compression did you use for the WMV?)
Then upload to google.

Here's the settings I used...

WMV file
video data rate, 512 kbps, 1 pass, constant bitrate.
Quality setting, 75% (I don't know if all software has a quality setting)
640x480
25 frames per second (to match the original file)
Deinterlaced
Audio, 128kbps 44 kHz stereo
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Return to “Not Kites”