Cold Enough

Talk about anything you want
Draftnik

Cold Enough

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Feb 05 2007, 09:20 AM

This came in on another list I'm on...

It was cold enough early this morning to freeze boiling water by tossing it outside, into the air. We tried it with a coffee cup of boiling water and tossed it high off our porch which also added to the height. Fun to watch the ice crystals appear outa the steam and bounce down to the ground!

No school today and we're getting a little stir crazy!
TTFN,
Draftnik

Babbman

Re: Cold Enough

Postby Babbman » Mon, Feb 05 2007, 01:03 PM

you could always go out and fly like Chris & I did yesterday...

:shock:

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Feb 05 2007, 02:03 PM

<snort> I'm resisting the urge to chastise you both for going out in that weather. :) I've been out in sub-freezing, and had a hard time getting my frozen fingers to work right at those temps. I'm not willing to find out what the sub-zero club is all about.

Gads I hope Clear Lake isn't this cold in a couple of weeks! We have plans to kite, sled and snowmobile for 3 days. After this snap, even sub-freezing will seem balmy.
TTFN,

Draftnik

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Feb 05 2007, 07:24 PM

Back online with a new laptop. It would have been nice if it had been a PLANNED upgrade. Timing stinks, I did not want to be on the bleeding edge of Vista.

Back on subject, last year at Clear Lake it was -9 at 9 AM and 5 at 5 PM, the numbers lined up so nicely they stuck in my head.
My beard was full of ice from frozen water vapor from my breath (That's my story and I am sticking to it. It was ALL water vapor!)

It makes me think of a comment I heard: "I don't do cold". Maybe that should be my new motto.

Al
Alan Sparling

fly_with_fire

Postby fly_with_fire » Mon, Feb 05 2007, 08:04 PM

Its been crazy cold. Windy enough to have some fun but to cold to fly for long. Great traction kiting weather for on ice. You would be flying down a lake at 20+ MPH. It would be great!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Feb 07 2007, 05:59 PM

i was wondering, at work, what (outdoors in this weather) bubbles, like the kind for kids, would do?! It would be cool if they would freeze in midair and thunderously crash upon landing! :mrblue: We'll do an experiment tomorrow, with some of the students in our class!... they can watch through the window!

Midwinter-spring is not even here yet... and i am truly frozen in coldly bitter time!

exerpt from T.S. Eliot:

Midwinter spring is its own season
Sempiternal though sodden towards sundown,
Suspended in time, between pole and tropic.
When the short day is brightest, with frost and fire,
The brief sun flames the ice, on pond and ditches,
In windless cold that is the heart's heat,
Reflecting in a watery mirror
A glare that is blindness in the early afternoon.
And glow more intense than blaze of branch, or brazier,
Stirs the dumb spirit: no wind, but pentecostal fire
In the dark time of the year. Between melting and freezing
The soul's sap quivers. There is no earth smell
Or smell of living thing. This is the spring time
But not in time's covenant. Now the hedgerow
Is blanched for an hour with transitory blossom
Of snow, a bloom more sudden
Than that of summer, neither budding nor fading,
Not in the scheme of generation.
Where is the summer, the unimaginable
Zero summer?
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 07 2007, 06:39 PM

I remember seeing an exhibit at a science museum where you could blow bubbles over a tank of dry ice.
The dry ice made a layer of CO2 so the bubble just kind of floated over the ice for a while. When they did finally sink, they did freeze. But they landed gently and didn't break. It will be interesting to see what happens out in the cold air.
The musuem was in San Francisco, so they didn't have a natural source of cold air.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Feb 07 2007, 11:11 PM

Mike wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens out in the cold air.

Well, they did nothing more or less for me than they did when it was warm out... no shattering or freezing that I could tell... they just disappeared as they usually do when they hit something

Yes, I took my daughters bubble and went outside at 11pm... it's -2 here... I'm an idiot

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 08 2007, 08:46 AM

I love that you tried it already. You're not an idiot! You have an inquiring mind and like to experiment--that's great.
I thought about giving it a try myself, but I didn't have any bubble stuff handy. I guess I could have made some from dish soap though.
I suppose it would depend on fast it would freeze and at what temperature water mixed with soap would freeze. Maybe it needs to be lower than 0 for it to freeze--I just googled dry ice and it's -109 degrees.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Feb 08 2007, 10:12 AM

Elie LOVES bubbles and we spend last summer playing with different internet recipies for bubble solution... none of them worked as well as the expensive bubble solution I get from Walmart though... green stuff in the ridged bottle... can't remember the name

Chris (aka Babbman)

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Feb 08 2007, 07:55 PM

Babbman wrote:Elie LOVES bubbles and we spend last summer playing with different internet recipies for bubble solution... none of them worked as well as the expensive bubble solution I get from Walmart though... green stuff in the ridged bottle... can't remember the name

She needs a *big* bubble maker like the ones Klutz makes. It takes bubble juice by the quart. Might cut into your kite fund. :lol:

That boiling water trick worked for the moms that were up early enough to have -38 temps. Those of us who slept in and had over -20 temps didnt' have as much luck. Hard to believe there's a differnece between colder then "bleed" and colder then "bleepity-bleep-bleep", but eveidently there is.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Invis

Postby Invis » Fri, Feb 09 2007, 03:40 PM

I tried the trick with the bubbles into a vat of liquid nitrogen. When the bubbles hit the liquid it was cool. When I reached into the vat to retreive them it was BAD.

Stubby

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Feb 09 2007, 04:01 PM

I tried it Monday morning, when the temp was around -6. It worked fine for me, of course I used an entire pot of boiling water, and threw it as high as I could :wink: It produced a LARGE cloud...looked really cool(my wife was impressed too!)
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Feb 09 2007, 09:52 PM

We tried the bubble thing with some of my classroom students watching through windows. The bubbles didn't freeze at all... but i think that (pretty much) i froze solid! :shock: We'll have to try the boiling water thing next week... maybe with food coloring added!

The temperature on Pluto is around -378 to -396 F (which makes me temporarily feel much warmer); i doubt that there are any Plutonians experimenting with bubbles on that nonplanet (planetoid)!

Just another numb skull.
What do you call a frozen mother-in-law?
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 09:48 AM

I was talking to a bubble expert the other day (really). I tried to get him join the forum--he's flown my kites a few times and seems pretty keen on kites as well as being a nice guy.
We'll see if he joins in here.

bubbleman

Postby bubbleman » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 10:20 PM

Hey is this thing on? My ears were burning and I was compelled to join this club. My experience is that it has to be really cold for bubbles to freeze, the only time I got it to work it was -15F, I think if they freeze too slow they just pop. If you search youtube.com for bubbles you can see some video of bubbles over CO2 gas, also some video of one of my favorite Bubblemen Tom Noddy

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 11:50 PM

Welcome to the club, Bubbleman! :up: When my classroom (for the multiply handicapped) goes outdoors to Harmony Park, in the warm weather months, i often do things with bubbles with them... including making huge (and long) bubbles with fabric-loop and adjustable bubble makers. We also take an electronic bubble machine outdoors now and then. A lot of them really enjoy the bubble activities... some of them are really into kites too!

i did the boiling water in the sky thing today; my wife was also somewhat amused; we are indeed a strange lot.
Tom P.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Feb 11 2007, 08:49 PM

After about 11 hours on the ice at Fish Creek, I am cold through and through. Hopefully I will warm up by next weekend for Color the Wind. I is supposed to be warmer in Clear Lake. I sure hope so.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Feb 12 2007, 06:47 AM

Welcome back, Al.
Any photos?

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Feb 12 2007, 06:55 AM

Hey there he is: Mark the BubbleMan.
Mark, head over to this forum index and find the introduction section to introduce yourself.

I don't think Mark owns any kites right now. That means the dual-line folks, the big SLK folks and the quad folks can all introduce him to the joys of kiting!

Mark can tell us his favorite recipe for bubbles. He's also created some really huge bubble, but I'll let him fill us in on that.

Return to “Not Kites”