Bikejoring

Talk about anything you want
Draftnik

Bikejoring

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Feb 03 2007, 04:46 PM

Took a break from making kites today and gave my latest hobby it's first try. Urban mushing with a bike, bikejoring.

I've been working the dog for months now preparing for this. She did pretty well, neither of us got hurt which was a major concern given only half the sidewalks around here are ice free. She's about outa her mind needing a good run, and I can't begin to keep up with her in cold weather gear and snowy icey conditions, so I put wheels under me. :wink: She did well, and didn't pull too fast, and had her gees, and haws and whoas down pretty well. She's not rock solid, on all the commands, but I'm proud of how well she did. Gotta work a bit on the "line out" and "ahead" commands which are pretty contradictory to her on lead training at a heel. She'll get it eventually.

I have to say, inspite of being apprehensive about alot of things (snow, bad brakes on bike, ice, inexperience etc.) it was a rush! :wohow:

Now back to the Le Kainos...
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Re: Bikejoring

Postby Mike » Sat, Feb 03 2007, 06:43 PM

Wow! That sounds tricky. The dog is pulling you while you're on a bike? It must be hard to keep your balance.

Draftnik

Re: Bikejoring

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 02:49 PM

Most of the gear is hybred equiptment from dog sledding. Dog sledders sometimes train in the off season on bikes with one or two dogs. The dog is in a mushing harness, and the gang line is attached to the stem of the bike just below the handle bar. Mountain bike brakes have had some advances that make bikejoring possible. (That's on my want list, those fancy brakes!)

We used to rollerblade with our first dog. With him at a heel beside me, I actually had an easier time on blades. He was 85lbs and there was enough to him to help me get my balance when I about lost it. I don't rollerblade anymore, so we've tried biking with Star. It's a rolling catastrophe to try and hold her lead and the handlebars. So I started looking into other ways of working with her and came across the urban mushing like dog sleding among other things. Some of it's side mount hardware for bikes and scooters that are still an odd balance holding the dog by the back wheel on an extension bar.

This system is a little more balanced BUT letting the dog lead isn't safe without proper training.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Return to “Not Kites”