*MERGING C: AND D: DRIVES*

Talk about anything you want
Hector Herrera

*MERGING C: AND D: DRIVES*

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Nov 24 2006, 11:07 PM

Hi guys! I have been reading the forum on and off, and I've noticed that you are a real good bunch of interesting people... :shock: And I guess I under stated you... "TALENTED".
Here is a little story about me lately...
I am in the process of trying to get into video making and editing bussines, like birthdays, soccer games, or anything where I can earn some money, but... I only have this Sony Vaio laptop with 30 GB HD and 512 MB DDR SDRAM. I formated my hard drive a couple of day ago, but I could not MERGE C: an D: drives??? Any sugestions???
I understand that Babmann does video editing for his church, and I would aprecciate some sugestions, tips and or intruccions on how to start, or better myself.
I am trying to buy the Panasonic AG DVC7 for my filming, and I allready have Pinnacle version 9 for edditing. Does any one has a camcoder for sale that is not so expensive but good enough for some serious Video making?
Thanks guys, please excuse my (unemployed) situation. :oops:
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Jeff

Re: *MERGING C: AND D: DRIVES*

Postby Jeff » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 12:07 AM

Wow...small world!

I am looking at doing just about the exact same thing.

My job was eliminated in September. Doing these kind of projects has been a hobby of mine, and I figured this was as good a time as any to see if I can make a business out of it. Multimedia presentations for weddings, funerals or memorials, special events, etc. Possibly also digital conversion, organizing, archiving of film, photos, movies, slides, etc.

I am currently in the process of evaluating software myself. I have been using Vegas Video Movie Studio, but if I'm to take a shot at professional work, I am going to invest in a professional level software package. Expensive, yes. Hopefully worth it in the long run. I am currently using the 30 day free trial period on Adobe Premiere Pro and Encore.

I'm afraid I don't have advice on the situation with your computer, but it was kind of interesting to see someone in the same situation.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 07:45 AM

Hi Hector,
I'm afraid the 30gb hard drive will wind up being too small for doing video and you will have to get a larger, external drive eventually.
Right now, you probably have one drive in your computer which Sony divided into two "virtual" drives. Often the D drive has the windows recovery software on it and isn't very big.

I have a small C drive on my computer, and then 3 large drives, D,E,F (actually D,E,S, but it doesn't matter)

On my C drive, I just have Windows.
I install all my programs and save all my files on the other drives.

So you may not need to combine the two drives. If D is big, just save your files onto D instead of C.

How much free space is on each drive?

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 10:27 AM

[quote="Jeff"]Wow...small world!

I am looking at doing just about the exact same thing.
Doing these kind of projects has been a hobby. Multimedia presentations for weddings, funerals or memorials, special events, etc. Possibly also digital conversion, organizing, archiving of film, photos, movies, slides, etc.

Hi jeff! Small Indeed... Let us know how things go out with you, it sounds as you are in the right track. I guess you are going strong and I really wish you the best. I personnally would be interested in your experiences. since I want to do the same thing, So long Jeff. :roll:
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Sat, Nov 25 2006, 10:47 AM, edited 1 time in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 10:41 AM

Mike wrote:Hi Hector,
I'm afraid the 30gb hard drive will wind up being too small for doing video and you will have to get a larger, external drive eventually.
Right now, you probably have one drive in your computer which Sony divided into two "virtual" drives. Often the D drive has the windows recovery software on it and isn't very big.

I have a small C drive on my computer, and then 3 large drives, D,E,F (actually D,E,S, but it doesn't matter)

On my C drive, I just have Windows.
I install all my programs and save all my files on the other drives.

So you may not need to combine the two drives. If D is big, just save your files onto D instead of C.

How much free space is on each drive?

Mike to the rescue!!! Yeahh... Hi mike... I have 8.5 GB free in C: and 16 GB free in D: and you are absolutly right, I am gonna have to get me an external drive. I saw one for $116.00 at Staples Store with 250 GB's I guess if I shop around I might get a better price. Or who knows I might get in debt and get me a whole unit for video editing purposes, you know..like 400 GB's CD DVD burner and all the fancy things computer have now days. I would only need the CPU since I have an extra monitor and keyboard. But...first things first, I need to get a pretty good camera... :roll:
But been realistic; I have to start low, due to my economic situation. :( But in any case I am going to do what ever it takes to get started. thanks pal.!!! Keep in touch :-)
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 10:52 AM

If you guys are looking to cut your teeth on video projects, I have a s'gestion. As an even organizer one of the biggest obstaces we had was getting sponsors to understand what a kite festival is. We would like to have something that presents a kite festival to the un-initiated.

One of our team of people we were working with for the DeKalb Kite Festival said after the event, "...to the person, they enjoyed the majestic whimsy of the kites.

I'd like something that takes that and makes a visual presentation. BUT it has to be donated. :wink:
TTFN,
Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 01:44 PM

my 2 cents...

I've been doing video editing and events for about 5 years now...

As for your drives, Mike is correct... a 30GB drive is too small to be useful... all my video drives ended up being external drives of at least 250GB or more. I currently have almost 4 Terrabytes of drive space, spread between 3 computers. I use a combination of internal and external drives...

My internal drives are all 300 GB SATA drives. My main drive holds my OS and editing utilities. My other internal drives hold my current working projects and others things that I like to hold on to.

All my video captures are done to external drives. I am sometimes working with several hours worth of footage as well as multiple camera angles. Some projects are spread between 2 external drives at times depending on the complexity.

Some people might argue that externals are slow and I would agree but they seem to work fine for me and I rarely suffer from dropped frames when capturing.

In the end, I save my project and all my working files out to an empty external drive which I ghost to DVD's so that I have a cheap and durable archive of what I did. I learned the hard way that finishing a project and erasing all the files was a bad idea as there is always something you can draw from for your future projects.

My current video production setup consists of an AMD X2 64bit proc and 4GB of RAM. 4 300 GB internal SATA drives and 3 external 300 GB USB 2.0 drives. I use an Invidia 7600GT video card and 2 NEC 21" LCD monitors. All video is captured through firewire from my camera and I piggyback VHS/CD video through the camera when I need to capture it. Capturing is done with Vegas, Scenalyzer and windows video.

My OS is Vista 32bit RTM, Vegas Video 7.0b for editing, DVD Architech 4.0 for DVD composition and a whole host of editing utilities for both video. Music is done with Sonar, Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit) and Sony Cinescore. Stock footage is by 12 Inch Designs, Digital Juice, Artbeats and a few others. I typically render using 3 computers that use Vegas in Network Rendering mode.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 05:13 PM

Hector, I think I wouldn't change your drive setup. You could make C a little smaller, but it's good to have free space on the C drive.
When you capture video and when you save new projects, make sure you save them to a folder on the D drive from now on.

If your computer is old, a new computer will make a big difference. Surfing the web and checking email works fine on an old computer.
But you'll really notice a big difference when you edit video.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 05:30 PM

probably the most helpful site I have found when it comes to anything video.... especially codecs, formats, etc.

http://www.videohelp.com/

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 09:25 PM

"Babbman" Post
my 2 cents...

I've been doing video editing and events for about 5 years now...

***Man...***
Your two cents, are big bucks to me...you are a monster...:
(figure of speach)

I apreciate your comments, ideas and everything you have said, and I can see myself very far away from what you allready are... but instead of feeling sorry, I can see the chalenge...similar to when I started flying my first dual kite, dificult but not imposible, and time will tell if it is for me or not, but I am for it. You see there is poor people because can not do somethings, and poor people that even when they can, they are poor. At least I am going to try, and if I die poor I will die trying.
Ohh.. I am talking too much allready... :oops:
Thank you guys.
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Sat, Nov 25 2006, 09:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 09:38 PM

Your two cents, are big bucks to me...you are a monster... (figure of speach)

it grew into that surely...

about 5 years ago.... actually 6, my friend Vern came to me with a video project for Naperville Central High School Drumshow. I had only done some very minor editing before that and had a program to use (Vegas). When I did it, I only had an 80GB hard drive that was split into 2 drive letters. The project took me a while but when I was done, I was very happy and so was Vern. Then, about 2 days before I had to hand him the video, I decided to combine my 2 drives into 1 with Partition Magic.

It crapped out in the middle of merging the drives and I lost everything. I mean EVERYTHING... I ended up finding a recovery program that at least let me grab the almost finished production but I lost all my working files... it was a lesson learned for sure..

From that point on, I kept getting more projects, more often and some of them ended up literally taking several drives to hold the raw footage, etc.... so, over the course of these 6 years, I have just kept building on my system. Now, I do all of my own computer building from scratch so upgrading is relatively inexpensive as I only have to buy a motherboard, cpu and memory when I upgrade. The monitors hurt me the most in the pocketbook but hard drives are really pretty cheap these days and I just watch for deals and pick them up as I go...

I try not to do anything half way as the guys could probably tell you when I opened my kite bag the first time I met them all. In the span of 6 months, I bought 8 Revs, 3 Ozones, an Acrobatx and a Beetle...lol... damn obsessive sport....

Chris (aka Babbman)

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 09:40 PM

Babbman wrote:probably the most helpful site I have found when it comes to anything video.... especially codecs, formats, etc.

http://www.videohelp.com/

Thank you Babbman...I'll check it out.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 09:44 PM

Mike wrote:Hector, I think I wouldn't change your drive setup. You could make C a little smaller, but it's good to have free space on the C drive.
When you capture video and when you save new projects, make sure you save them to a folder on the D drive from now on.

If your computer is old, a new computer will make a big difference. Surfing the web and checking email works fine on an old computer.
But you'll really notice a big difference when you edit video.

Thanks Mike... I see myself just like the other day at Seal Beach California... YOU flying the real REVOS. and me flying my home made quads. :|
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 09:59 PM

Babbman wrote:
Your two cents, are big bucks to me...you are a monster... (figure of speach)

it grew into that surely...

about 5 years ago.... actually 6, my friend Vern came to me with a video project for Naperville Central High School Drumshow. I had only done some very minor editing before that and had a program to use (Vegas). When I did it, I only had an 80GB hard drive that was split into 2 drive letters. The project took me a while but when I was done, I was very happy and so was Vern. Then, about 2 days before I had to hand him the video, I decided to combine my 2 drives into 1 with Partition Magic.

I try not to do anything half way as the guys could probably tell you when I opened my kite bag the first time I met them all. In the span of 6 months, I bought 8 Revs, 3 Ozones, an Acrobatx and a Beetle...lol... damn obsessive sport....

Excellente!!!
I may start building my own cpu's!!! and of course, please forgive my intrution, I am gonna ask a lot of question,.
Hey Babbman...it must be nice to be rich... :shock: in six months you managed to get all that equip...
I think I need a big brother.. :roll:
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 25 2006, 10:26 PM

Hey Babbman...it must be nice to be rich... in six months you managed to get all that equip...

oh no no no no no :roll: ... not rich at all... credit cards are a bad thing to have in hand when you develop an obsession... way bad... I've been putting together a collection of crap I have to sell on e-bay to pay for this current obsession... :wallb:

In retrospect, and had I met Mike, Chris & Ken earlier, I would have had just 3... a 1.5 SLE, SUL and vented... and that's it... and maybe a Rev I... and an Ozone Riot... and...... :lol:

Chris (aka Babbman)

Invis

Postby Invis » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 08:08 PM

Jeez...I feel like a slacker. 25 years in the computer field, 10 years with a pro video studio and one test away from my MCSE status and I havent even checked out this forum till now! I promise to pay more attention to this forum from now on. I can't sew for beans but I DO know computers.

Babbman - Both Seagate and Western Digital now make video editing hard drives. Large buffers, fast platters! Sounds like you have a killer system. I'm building a dual quad core Xeon box for editing. Thats eight processors in one box! Raid 50 and 2 terabytes of storage. ATI 1900 video card. 7.1 Dolby Digital.

Hector- Mike and Chris are right. notebooks can't take the rigors of editing. Hold out until the Core 2 duo's price drop after March. Quad core processors will be the norm by Summer 07.

Anyone looking for a deal on a terabyte NAS storage device I have a slightly used demo for sale. Let me know.

Invis

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Jan 04 2007, 12:21 PM

Hi Invis !!!
Very good info.
For right now, I've been holding everything, till I get a job, Yesterday I went for a second interview and I'd probably (hopefully) start working soon; and who knows I may buy your Demo...but it's not gonna be untill then. I guess 3 to six months from now I'll be in a better shape and will start buying equipment. Thanks.
Yeah, 25 years of experience...I wish I'd live closer, to learn something from you guys.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Invis

Postby Invis » Thu, Jan 04 2007, 01:44 PM

Hector,
You are safer where you are! All anyone around here picks up from me are BAD HABITS!
Good luck on the job.

The tequila drinking kite fancier,
Invis

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:40 PM

:? Thanks for the advice...I will just do that.
¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Return to “Not Kites”