Page 1 of 1

Who felt the quake?

Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010, 05:37 AM
by Babbman
I woke up at 3:30am today for some reason and decided to just stay up. As I was standing in the kitchen, listening to the wind blow, the entire house started shaking with a rather audible rumble...

NOT wind...

I was looking out the window and saw the reflection of my computer blur... 1st thought... earthquake.. but here in northern Illinois? Nah... then my father-in-law came out and asked me if I felt/heard that...

Interesting...

Listening to people call into NBC, you'd think that the roads collapsed and houses were swallowed up whole. No, I did NOT have a fissure with bubbling magma open up in my backyard... but I'm sure there are more than a few people who are out with flashlights right now..lol

Role call?

Re: Who Felt The Quake?

Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010, 06:39 AM
by TeamTrejo
We felt it up here too.

"No, I did NOT have a fissure with bubbling magma open up in my backyard."

Really? Now I have this thing in my yard.
[albumimg]1377[/albumimg]

What kind of shrubbery goes with lava?

On the plus side it did melt most of the snow.


:lol:

Re: Who felt the quake?

Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010, 07:24 AM
by Babbman
TeamTrejo wrote:We felt it up here too.

"No, I did NOT have a fissure with bubbling magma open up in my backyard."

Really? Now I have this thing in my yard.
[albumimg]1377[/albumimg]

What kind of shrubbery goes with lava?

On the plus side it did melt most of the snow.


:lol:


Now that had me laughing till I started coughing!

LOL!

Re: Who Felt The Quake?

Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010, 08:51 AM
by Jeepster
Nothing here in the middle of the state! Well, if there was any movement, I slept right through it.

Cheers,
Tom

Re: Who Felt The Quake?

Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010, 12:12 PM
by Jeff
I guess I'm pretty close to it, but I slept right through it.

Re: Who felt the quake?

Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010, 01:40 PM
by Mike
I didn't feel it either.

Re: Who Felt The Quake?

Posted: Thu, Feb 11 2010, 07:56 AM
by BillLamm
TeamTrejo wrote:What kind of shrubbery goes with lava?

On the plus side it did melt most of the snow.


:lol:

Image

Burning Bush..... :oops:

about the quack... I was awake because the cat and dog where being a pain... but that is not too uncommon for them since I get up that early and feed them when I am working. didn't feel anything but in retrospect I suspect they did

Re: Who Felt The Quake?

Posted: Thu, Feb 11 2010, 09:17 AM
by chicagokite
We are about 60 miles from it and Ihave to say It was like a low flying helicopte.Kids woke up and were in our room in a heart beat.Kind of Nuts thought it was a plow or car crash. :rotfl
Dave

Re: Who Felt The Quake?

Posted: Thu, Feb 11 2010, 11:38 PM
by Jynx
Nothing here in the Milwaukee area... though some said they did feel it.

In April 2008, there was a 5.4 in Illinois. I heard a rummble then my wind chimes began ringing and swinging. I have 8-10 wind chimes (which I make) displayed upstairs, where I was.

I thought someone had driven into my house. I ran downstairs and outside to find it totally quiet and peaceful, no cars, not anything. I couldn't figure-out what could have caused all the commotion until I later heard the news.

It was quite an experience for such a distant and rather small earthquake. Can't imagine what the more intense ones would be like to go through. And I don't want to!

Re: Who felt the quake?

Posted: Fri, Feb 12 2010, 06:14 AM
by Mike
Jynx wrote:
It was quite an experience for such a distant and rather small earthquake. Can't imagine what the more intense ones would be like to go through. And I don't want to!

Just wait, you'll be in California soon :)
As a kid I always thought they were kind of fun and exciting. But the worst damage I ever saw was cracks in my Jr. High wall.

Re: Who Felt The Quake?

Posted: Fri, Feb 12 2010, 07:28 AM
by catspaw00
BillLamm wrote:
TeamTrejo wrote:about the quack... I was awake because the cat and dog where being a pain... but that is not too uncommon for them since I get up that early and feed them when I am working. didn't feel anything but in retrospect I suspect they did


My cats woke me up, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. At work somebody asked if I'd felt the quake, and that's when I realized what must have set them off.

Went through a couple of little ones (no higher than 6) in CA and Guam. Glad I was living in single-story dwellings. ;)

A friend and I were debating which would be worse: having your state fall into the ocean, or having it disappear into subterranean caves. I figure it's easier to live underground than underwater....

-W

Re: Who felt the quake?

Posted: Fri, Feb 12 2010, 02:04 PM
by Mike
But if it's your neighbors house that falls into the ocean, then you now have ocean front property. Just have to be sure to build on the good side of the fault line. :)

Re: Who Felt The Quake?

Posted: Sat, Feb 13 2010, 04:54 PM
by BillLamm
Mike wrote:But if it's your neighbors house that falls into the ocean, then you now have ocean front property. Just have to be sure to build on the good side of the fault line. :)


my California Uncle keeps teasing that he keeps his boat tied up in Idaho in case California falls in... or he teases my Alaska Uncle that he is moving in next door... State and all...