Vista Permission Problems

Talk about anything you want
RevJB

Vista Permission Problems

Postby RevJB » Mon, Jun 08 2009, 11:04 AM

I just bought a laptop that was pre-installed with Vista :(

I added it to my network and shared the folder I use for all my photos. I use SyncToy (Thanks Babbman!) to keep the photo folder synced between the laptop and and a desktop to keep an automatic in-house backup. I don't use the Public folders as my wife is used to looking in Documents for everything and it makes it easy to keep the photos, Word, and Excel files in easy to reach folders.

If I attempt to open the photo folder with other program like Irfanview, it says access denied. I tried changing the properties of the program to run as an administrator and it still won't work. Any hints?

Also, I can access the other computers (All XP based) shared folders from the Vista machine. On the XP machine, I can see the shared folder in the Network view, but am told I don't have permission to the folder when I try to see contents I've changed security on the folder to be Everyone and it doesn't seem to help.

Anyone gone through the fun of Vista and managed the access/permission issues?

Thanks,

John :revspin:

Babbman

Re: Vista Permission Problems

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 08 2009, 11:42 AM

This was a problem for me also. Unfortunately, I got rid of all my XP computers over 2 years ago and have been using Vista exclusively, until Windows 7 Beta was made available.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006/12 ... ether.html

There may be something in here that will help you out. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the security model between Vista and XP and there is something that I had to change via the policy editor... check this out also

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networkin ... level.html

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Sun, Jun 14 2009, 10:12 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the leads. I found out in Vista you have to both share the folder using the "share" tab and add permissions on the "security" tab. Since I was doing this for pictures and not worried about who on my network had access, I added "Everyone" as a user with read/write/modify permissions.

I haven't tried permissions without sharing, but I am guessing that it will also stop access.

Now the XP machines can access the folders and contents on the Vista machines.

John

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 15 2009, 06:26 AM

cool..

don't forget the info as you will be needing it for Windows 7 also.

I've been running W7 since December and I'm running the RC on 9 different computers right now. I've had virtually ZERO problems with it and it is faster, better and runs every single thing I've thrown at it and believe me, in my line of work, the software we use is pretty hard on the OS.

Glad you got it all working

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jun 15 2009, 10:47 AM

Babbman wrote: I've had virtually ZERO problems with it and it is faster, better and runs every single thing I've thrown at it and believe me, in my line of work, the software we use is pretty hard on the OS.

I'm hoping the backward compatibility works well in 7. I have a DVD authoring program that is supposedly incompatible with Vista, and Adobe does not recommend upgrading to Vista. But 7 supposedly has an XP virtualization mode that can handle anything XP can do...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 15 2009, 01:32 PM

Jeff wrote:
Babbman wrote: I've had virtually ZERO problems with it and it is faster, better and runs every single thing I've thrown at it and believe me, in my line of work, the software we use is pretty hard on the OS.

I'm hoping the backward compatibility works well in 7. I have a DVD authoring program that is supposedly incompatible with Vista, and Adobe does not recommend upgrading to Vista. But 7 supposedly has an XP virtualization mode that can handle anything XP can do...

It does, and it works excellent.

BUT, you need an Intel CPU that supports hardware visualization or else you can't use it.

For me, everything has worked without the visualization simply through using the compatibility wizard... even programs specifically designed for Win98...

If you haven't tried it yet, you should. It's painless..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jun 15 2009, 02:17 PM

Babbman wrote:BUT, you need an Intel CPU that supports hardware visualization or else you can't use it.

I do...it's a Core 2 Duo E6600.

:up:

IKE is on Image too!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, Jun 15 2009, 09:30 PM

HUH?

I'll have my son decode these posts for me!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 15 2009, 09:54 PM

I'm in the process of upgrading to an Intel i7 920 quad core, an Asus P6T Motherboard with 12GB memory... should be a nice step up from my current quad core...

this really ought to get Jinx's head spinning..lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Mon, Jun 15 2009, 11:59 PM

Jynx wrote:HUH?

I'll have my son decode these posts for me!

LOL.. I read it and see dollar signs in most of the words...

my machines are aged but the email gets read and the forums get read... I'm happy

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jun 16 2009, 02:39 PM

Babbman wrote:I'm in the process of upgrading to an Intel i7 920 quad core, an Asus P6T Motherboard with 12GB memory... should be a nice step up from my current quad core...

And get me drooling.

:lol:
Last edited by Jeff on Tue, Jun 16 2009, 02:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jun 17 2009, 06:32 AM

Jeff wrote:And get me drooling.

Really, not a bad price at all..

I love Tiger Direct... I hate going into the store as it's just complete chaos, but their prices are unbeatable for most everything...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=B69-2100

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Jun 17 2009, 03:45 PM

Babbman wrote:I'm in the process of upgrading to an Intel i7 920 quad core, an Asus P6T Motherboard with 12GB memory... should be a nice step up from my current quad core...

Hey, nice find! I didn't know they still made motherboards without triple SLI!"

Tell me how many FPS you get in freecell... I'm considering upgrading myself!"
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jun 17 2009, 03:48 PM

Jynx wrote:

Hey, nice find! I didn't know they still made motherboards without triple SLI!"

Tell me how many FPS you get in freecell... I'm considering upgrading myself!"

Why that would ultimately depend on your Video Card!

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 17 2009, 08:15 PM

Jynx wrote:Tell me how many FPS you get in freecell... I'm considering upgrading myself!"

Return to “Not Kites”