My Wife's Operation...

Talk about anything you want
Knoted4ever

My Wife's Operation...

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Nov 29 2008, 11:09 PM

Hi everyone!

i'm still in the hospital with Marla (Rush Presbytarian St. Lukes). She's approaching the two week point, but will probably be coming home soon. Her reconstructive neck surgery took 11 full hours; it definitely seemed like eternity! :shock: She was given titanium support from vertebrae C2 through T2. The chief surgeon said that the operation went great and that her neck turned out fantastic. i was told by hospital staff that the chief surgeon and his assistant did not take a break throughout the entire 11 hours!

Swelling, due to the extensive surgery, is causing her to continue to require an NG tube (i.e., nasal/gastrostomy tube); this has been very uncomfortable for her, to say the least. Probably Monday, she will be getting a temporary Gastrostomy tube. She is looking a whole lot better, and is walking well, daily... due to my nagging persistence. i am now married to a bionic woman; (she is full of titanium and plastic)!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

backdraft

Re: My Wife's Operation...

Postby backdraft » Sun, Nov 30 2008, 07:40 AM

Tom,

We are glad to hear every thing went well with Marla's surgery and she is recovering well. Tell her hello and that our prayers are with her.

Mike & Family

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Nov 30 2008, 10:38 AM

Tom,

Thanks for the update. We're glad that the operation went well ... our prayers are with you and your wife.

Regards,
Tom & Jo Ann
Last edited by Jeepster on Sun, Nov 30 2008, 10:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Nov 30 2008, 10:57 AM

I'm glad to hear it went well, Tom. :up:
Last edited by Jeff on Sun, Nov 30 2008, 10:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

brownssl

Postby brownssl » Sun, Nov 30 2008, 11:56 AM

GLAD TO HEAR IT WENT GOOD TOM
:SLKani: shawn

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Nov 30 2008, 05:59 PM

I was thinking of Marla, I'm so glad it went well.
I'm looking forward to seeing up and about and the next kite event.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Nov 30 2008, 10:59 PM

Tom I am also glad to hear that all went well. Our P&Ts are with you.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Mon, Dec 01 2008, 09:51 AM

Tom

Great News :up: Our best

Dave
www.chicagokite

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Dec 01 2008, 01:14 PM

Jenny & I send our prayers..

Happy things went well..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Dec 06 2008, 12:31 AM

Thanks much everyone; we're very appreciative of your kind thoughts and words.

Marla has finally come home! It's been tough though... as she has a (temporary) gastrostomy tube in her stomach; but she is not tolerating the enteral formulas very well. It may take some time; but i strongly suspect that there are other factors... benefiber was added (finally) toward the end of the day today; and we are discussing the posibility of providing the feedings through an enteral gravity bag (rather than through syringes as we are now using), which would slow down the rate and would probably help with assimilation. Thank goodness, i have a lot of experience with providing enteral feedings; i've done it for years in my classroom with the handicapped students.

It's been an insane day. Today i spent tons of time on the phone trying to get things changed or altered with her enteral feeding. The dietitians at Rush Presbyterian St. Lukes :doc: :nurse: , today, told me that they would not deal with me over the phone regarding Marla's problems with the enteral feedings. They said that it was a confidentiality issue, and that they do not counsel people over the phone regarding such things; then i was told to call Marla's primary physician. i couldn't believe it! Then i later called a very nice and compassionate speech pathologist at Rush, who had helped Marla with Barium Swallow testing. The speech pathologist had a friend at Rush who was a dietitian. Her friend called us later... and stated that it is fine to discuss issues over the phone regarding enteral feedings! Throughout the day, i received information from various agencies regarding what to do concerning the enteral feedings... a lot of the information totally contradicted what other agencies had told us! Anyway, i am very concerned, as she can't swallow anything... and if she regurgitates anything, it would go into her lungs causing aspiration. This evening, she was doing better with the feedings!... so i hope that that continues.

Though i don't believe in prayers, i am very appreciative of the many people who offer them. i had some great talks with the visiting chaplain at the hospital (regarding the nature and dynamics of "praying"); i think that he understood my points of view regarding the subject... which was cool at the time.
Last edited by Knoted4ever on Sat, Dec 06 2008, 12:33 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Dec 06 2008, 12:47 AM

Tom I am glad to hear things are going good. I can understand that Bull **** that you have to go through with all red tape when dealing with doctors. I have often wondered why it is needed, yet to understand, guess you can blame those wonderful lawyers. (but anyway)

Hope that with all your experience from dealing with the handicapped will speed up cutting through the red tape.

No more P & T, just Best wishes. Sorry and understand believes.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Dec 06 2008, 07:43 AM

Shit, Tom. It's unfortunate you have to go through all that. Marla is so very lucky to have you on her side. Give her our best.

Return to “Not Kites”