What 2 Dew...

Talk about anything you want
Knoted4ever

What 2 Dew...

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Jul 06 2008, 01:22 PM

My wife's new laptop expired for a lot of the Vista stuff (and Norton 360), and i changed her computer over to Foxfire. She cannot now use Windows Media Player. i tried downloading Windows Media Player, but her computer says that a more recent version already exists on her computer, but i think that that version is somehow frozen along with the other Vista stuff.

Should i try to somehow delete the Vista portion of things completely? If i do, will she easily be able to turn the computer on and off and such?... as a lot of that functionality seems to be tied to Windows. i tried deleting the Windows Media Player portion of her Vista... but her computer would not allow me to delete it. Otherwise, FireFox and Google G-mail seems to be pretty cool so far. i found an excellent free virus software thing on www.freedownloads.com.... it's called AVG!
Last edited by Knoted4ever on Sun, Jul 06 2008, 01:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Re: What 2 Dew...

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 06 2008, 09:28 PM

Hi Tom,
a few questions:
What do mean Vista has expired?
No, you cant remove Vista, it's what makes the computer do everything it does.

How is Media Player not working--can you start it from the start menu?

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jul 07 2008, 09:41 AM

How old is the computer? Did it come with Vista, or was it upgraded from XP? (I see that you said "new," so most likely it came with Vista, but there have been XP machines available still.)

Windows Vista or XP would be the "operating system." As Mike says, it is basic to the computer, and it cannot function without it.

I too am unclear about what you mean by "expire." Nothing that is a part of Windows software will expire. Third party add-ons might expire if what they gave you was a limited trial of their software.

Windows does require that it be "activated" within something like 30 days of when you start using it. But that is pretty routine. If you are connected to the internet, you just follow the on-screen messages that guide you through the activation process.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Jul 07 2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks Mike and Jeff!

Well i tried activating Media Player from the Start Menu two days ago... and that did not work. It's a new computer and i remember that i had some kind of trouble with a code that was requested... and the code that i was using (that was attached to something on the equipment) did not work for some reason or other. When i wrote on-line asking what the problem was with that code not working, i received information that lead me to believe that we'd have to pay more for more features; so i ended my code-inquiry after that.

Can i delete the Media Player that came with Vista and then download the free stuff from on-line? i may look into that code thing again. i wish they'd just sell things to work... without all that code crap and sales gimmicks and all that bla! :roll:
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jul 07 2008, 09:32 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:Can i delete the Media Player that came with Vista and then download the free stuff from on-line? i may look into that code thing again. i wish they'd just sell things to work... without all that code crap and sales gimmicks and all that bla! :roll:

Media player is integrated into the OS. There is no way to remove it. You shouldn't need an upgrade or have to purchase anything extra to use it.

I have a feeling that you didn't get the activation code in correctly. You need to call Microsoft about this and get everything activated.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 08 2008, 06:49 AM

I think Babb has it. You only have to activate it once.
To check if Vista is activated:

Click on the Start menu
RIGHT click on "computer" (it's in the gray area along the side of the pop-up menu)
Click on properties.

A window will pop up telling you all about your computer. At the bottom, it will say whether or not windows is activated.
If it isn't, make sure you're connected to the internet, and follow the instructions.
The code is on a product key sticker on the bottom of your laptop.

Let us know what happens now.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jul 08 2008, 09:28 AM

Tom, you need to be very careful on uninstalling things. Absolutely do not just try to delete anything unless the uninstall program specifies that you should. All uninstall activities should be done through the Programs & Features section in the control panel or through an uninstall program that some applications still come with. Failure to do it properly could result in you completely blowing up the OS and rendering the computer unable to boot or function at all.

Media Player, Internet Explorer and a number of other applications are all tied into the OS as tightly as our sails are sewn together. You really cannot get rid of them. You can install alternatives to these programs which usually work but you still need to be careful that you are installing applications that are Vista ready and clearly labeled as such. Of course you can install anything you want and if you have a good knowledge of computers and software, most everything will work. BUT, it sometimes takes quite a bit of fooling around get some of the older apps to work and you always run the risk of blowing up something else. Keep it safe and keep it simple.

If you have problems with activating, there is a number to call that is provided during the activation process. Call it and have them give you a code that works. They will not bite your head off.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jul 08 2008, 09:45 AM

Tom,

I don't want to grab your topic, but let me describe either the same or a similar problem with my computer and see if our IT folks can solve both our problems at the same time.

I've got a ten month old Dell Inspiron 1520 with Vista Home Premium. The hard drive sounded like it had sand in it, so within two months I ended up with a new one that I had to build up from scratch ... long story ... just want you to have the fact that it was not a factory build. Recently the computer started having problems with Windows Media Player. The failure message is: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. ..." A trip to the Micosoft website shows an error code of C00D11B3 that lists four possible problems:

1) Server not available ... not true, since I can bring up the video on my Windows 98 equiped machines ... that's been my work around if I really want to see that particular video.

2) Not connected to the internet ... again, not true, since I'm on the internet to get the video address.

3) Proxy server settings not configured ... this is the area where I've tried to make changes. Go the <tools> <network> path and then use the "poke-n-hope" process of trying to solve the problem. Yep, hasn't worked yet.

4) Using your computer at work and your admin folks have blocked the path ... no, it's a stay-at-home machine.

Tom, does this describe your problem? Mike and Babb, want to take a crack at this one?

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jul 08 2008, 09:52 AM

Opps, forgot one other fact ... Tom, can you check this one out?

If the video is downloaded and stored on the compter, then Windows Media Player will function correctly. Any of the REV videos that I download will work, once they're on the harddrive. Hmmmm.

Here's one of the websites where WMP doesn't work:

http://www.webflic.fr/video.php?PHPSESS ... 490ec01f47

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 08 2008, 10:52 AM

Jeepster,
on the website you posted, the videos aren't "streamed". They are first downloaded to a temporary folder on your hard drive and then they play.
The simple fix is to go ahead and download them as you have been doing. At least you'll know where they are and can play them again rather than have them hidden away in the temporary folder.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jul 08 2008, 02:41 PM

Mike,

Let me restate what I think I heard you say:

On my Windows 98 machine, the video seems to play right off the website. However, it is actually being downloaded to a temp file (buffering) while it is also being viewed.

On my Windows Vista machine, something has changed which prevents the downloading to a temp file ... thus, the error code of not being connected to the internet. However, I can bypass the Windows Media Player controls and manually download it for viewing after it is completely downloaded.

Yes?

Cheers,
Tom

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jul 08 2008, 04:15 PM

Jeepster wrote:Opps, forgot one other fact ... Tom, can you check this one out?

If the video is downloaded and stored on the compter, then Windows Media Player will function correctly. Any of the REV videos that I download will work, once they're on the harddrive. Hmmmm.

Here's one of the websites where WMP doesn't work:

http://www.webflic.fr/video.php?PHPSESS ... 490ec01f47

Cheers,
Tom

I'm running Window XP, and it's working just as Mike says. The file loads up, and WMP doesn't actually begin playing the file right away. Once it is downloaded, it plays from its temporary space. Now, if I press the play button while it is still downloading, it will begin playing before it finishes. Also, there are settings in Options for WMP, at least on the older version that I am using, that dictate how it will handle buffering.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 08 2008, 07:56 PM

Jeepster wrote:Mike,
However, I can bypass the Windows Media Player controls and manually download it for viewing after it is completely downloaded.

Yes?

Cheers,
Tom

yes. right click on the video link and choose to save it.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Jul 09 2008, 09:22 PM

i got the computer working with Yahoo video by downloading some stuff. i found out that Media Player works with some stuff, but not with all; perhaps the stuff that it does not work with is prevented from working due to security issues; that is what i suspect it is, anyway!

i did have trouble with submitting the initial code key for Windows. When i tried emailing them asking why my product code would not go through, i got some replies that led me to think that the code was only for certain special functions (which our computer only had temporarily)... and which we would not need in the future.

Mike, thanks very much! :up: ... i did what you said, and yes, Windows is activated; they must have activated it for us, at the factory, as it gives the code or key... and that code is not one that i had submitted. i think only certain features where deleted after a period of around a month or so... they were high-end things mostly, that Marla would not use anyway; and i did not want to pay more for them! i think mostly things are OK, though there may be some issues with FoxFire and Media Player or with my security and what i can get with Media Player; i'll have to play around with it. [Tom, (the new 2nd Tom) i wrote a private message to answer your private message about my wife's machine capabilities.]

Mike, i tried doing what you wrote before reading what you wrote... like a day or two ago; but i think i looked at "Properties" under "Windows"... and not "Computer"; anyway, i couldn't find it then.

Marla is pretty content with the way things are working now on her computer; in fact, the other night, when i told her that i got Yahoo Videos working on hers, she said she didn't care! ... she's not that interested in things like videos and such, but maybe she will be as time goes by. i showed her how to look at movie previews via Media Player. (The trailer for Dark Night, with Heath Ledger, was awesome! That movie will be sweet!)
Last edited by Knoted4ever on Wed, Jul 09 2008, 09:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Tom P.

Return to “Not Kites”