STORMY MOMENTS

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Hector Herrera

STORMY MOMENTS

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, Oct 21 2007, 08:25 PM

Talking about gusty winds... :shock: I went to Seal Beach again, and the forecast was 5, 7, 6 Mph winds, as I started setting up my blue revo. the wind started to pick up so I pulled my vented one, I also set up my video camera to take a few shots since the wind was blowing TO the sea, and that happens very seldom, and I tought about playing with sea waves, but... in just a few 15 minutes later IT WAS A STORM... The Santa Ana winds came down furiously, all the surfers, left rapidly, but I didn't want to loose that chance of flying over the waves, since we don't get those characteristic opportunities often, (winds coming from inland to the sea)...but the wind was waaaay too strong, and although I flew my kite for about an hour, it was an incredible experience, my camera was blown to the ground while I was flying, I put it up again, and it was blown again along with the tripod; then I dig holes and put some sand around the tripod legs, and I continue flying, my arms were sore from holding the pull from those strong winds, but I did what I wanted to do. I FLEW MY KITE UNDER 30 40 MPH'S WINDS Maybe more. Unfortunatly I don't have the video to show you what happened, cause when I've got home I could not make my camera work, IT WAS FULL OF SAND... :oops: I am gonna have to send it to clean and maybe repair, and hoppefully I will recreate those ....STORMY MOMENTS, IN MY KITE FLYING LIFE. :roll: I think I am gonna make me a T-Shirts stating...
I survived the California, Santa Ana winds, flying kites. :rotfl
I guess the forecasters failed again. :evil:
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Mike

Re: STORMY MOMENTS

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 21 2007, 09:06 PM

Here's the official report for Huntington Beach just to prove Hector is right. The gust were up to 41 mph!

Wind Speed 9 mph
Max Wind Speed 26 mph
Max Gust Speed 41 mph

Here's what it was at the picnic at Perry Farms (but we didn't fly kites):
Wind Speed 14 mph
Max Wind Speed 33 mph
Max Gust Speed 43 mph

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Oct 21 2007, 09:25 PM

Well, at least we aren't under any threat of firestorms...

I was in California in 1993 after the Malibu fire... I was shocked at the devastation.

And BTW, Mike did put up a PL90... good lord was that thing buffeted around...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Oct 21 2007, 10:04 PM

Mike wrote:Here's the official report for Huntington Beach just to prove Hector is right. The gust were up to 41 mph!

Wind Speed 9 mph
Max Wind Speed 26 mph
Max Gust Speed 41 mph

Here's what it was at the picnic at Perry Farms (but we didn't fly kites):
Wind Speed 14 mph
Max Wind Speed 33 mph
Max Gust Speed 43 mph

I was looking up the nearby stations to see what we had too... here's the graph from 10am to 10pm.
Dark blue = wind speed, light blue =gusts. They actually picked up a 45 mph gust at this station!

Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

AhMayzon

Postby AhMayzon » Mon, Oct 22 2007, 12:07 AM

Flying of a different sort - on an airplane - today, and that was some NASTY wind when we were taking off and landing! Connected in Chicago; ugly landing and uglier takeoff on the way back out. The pilot commented on it, too. He said the wind was in the 30's at the time.
Max gust looks like it was 41 for Chicago today....

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Dec 17 2007, 06:08 PM

Oh wow, nice looking page Babbman. I guess that during the transition or changes made, I lost my last posting but here I am following an old link or posting for those stormy day, with the recovery of the video, from that stormy day.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7181&hl=en
[googlevideo]7347936546824307181[/googlevideo]

If needed, it can be sent to Quad videos.
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Mon, Dec 17 2007, 09:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Dec 17 2007, 07:26 PM

Wow! That was a heck of a storm! About half way thru, when you've pulled the kite out of the water, you can see the sand blowing against the kite like some huge desert sandstorm. And the kite survived all that? That's one tough kite.
What spars were you using?

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Dec 17 2007, 07:33 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:Oh wow, nice looking page Babbman. I guess that during the transition or changes made, I lost my last posting but here I am following an old link or posting for those stormy day, with the recovery of the video, from that stormy day.

Thanks Hector... yes, I choose to lose about 6 posts rather than spend an entire day setting up, backing up, restoring, converting, converting and then configuring...lol...

Hope you understand...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Dec 17 2007, 09:49 PM

Babbman,...you are doing a fantastic job, I wish I knew so much about computers... :shock: I really like the new style. Congratulation and THANKS FOR OUR NEW PAGE LOOKS.

By the way, how did you change My video link to what you have now, I can actually see the "monitor"???

Mike, the punishement given to that kite, was too much, the sail stretched too much, it is still flyable but not as good, I had Skyshark P400 on it, and I tell you, those spars are very good, as you can see. I will probably make another kite and save the Revolution emblem.
Another thing was the camera, when the video goes dark black, it's when the camera fell to the ground (sand ) the first time, then at the end of the filming, the camera fell the second time, and I just stoped filming, after that, the camera, was not good anymore. I was beyond repair. I have a new one now.
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Mon, Dec 17 2007, 10:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Dec 17 2007, 09:57 PM

Hector... it's my pleasure, as always, to help us have a great meeting place... thank you..

and I did nothing to your video...lol... probably Mike...lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 18 2007, 07:10 AM

Babbman wrote:lol... probably Mike...lol

Guilty! Sorry, just wanted to see if that part of the forum still works. And it does!

Hector, when you are looking at your video at the Google page, look at its address at the top of your browser and it will look something like this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...824307181&hl=en

That number near the end is what you want:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...824307181&hl=en

Now, when you are posting at the forum, click on the 'G' that's up there under the font color choice.
Enter that number when it asks, and you are all set.
Attachments
googlevideo.png
googlevideo.png (32.9 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Tue, Dec 18 2007, 08:50 PM

Hmmm...Let me try..

[googlevideo]-7407423680382646375[/googlevideo]

WOW, Mike I did it, YEAH... :lol: and you are a genius. Thank you so much, now I can do it with STYLE.!!! You guys are great...thanks again. By the way can this be sent like that in an E-mail using Outlook Express??? I'm gonna try anyway sending one to myself and see if it works.

WAIT..HOLD ON...EDITING...I COULD NOT SEE THE VIDEO...JUST A MINUTE... Man,... not yet... hang in there... ALL RIGHT!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH GUY. Thank you Mike, thank you Jeff, you were right I was copying pasting more than needed, then I pasted the number only but it needed this little line "-12345678" you know the line in the front. Well I have learned something new today, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I'll see you guys in February.
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Tue, Dec 18 2007, 09:19 PM, edited 6 times in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Dec 18 2007, 09:01 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:Hmmm...Let me try...

[googlevideo]IDhttp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7407423680382646375&hl=en[/googlevideo]

WOW, Mike I did it, YEAH... :lol: and you are a genius. Thank you so much, now I can do it with STYLE.!!! You guys are great...thanks again. By the way can this be sent like that in an E-mail using Outlook Express??? I'm gonna try anyway sending one to myself and see if it works.

WAIT..HOLD ON...EDITING...I COULD NOT SEE THE VIDEO...JUST A MINUTE...

Hector, you have to change the link just a bit. You have it as

Code: Select all

[googlevideo]IDhttp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7407423680382646375&hl=en[/googlevideo]

...but all you need to do is put the video's I.D. number in, not the rest. So it will look like this:

Code: Select all

[googlevideo]-7407423680382646375[/googlevideo]
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Dec 19 2007, 07:29 AM

sometimes that "little line" will be there, sometimes it wont. If it's there, you need it.
It's like having the temperature be 5° or when it's really cold, -5°

Return to “General Discussion”