KOLM Questions

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
basicbill

KOLM Questions

Postby basicbill » Sun, Jun 22 2014, 08:52 PM

Hi all,

My wife has suggested that we try attending a few more kite festivals despite seeing the virtually wind-less Crystal Lake event this year. So I've been looking around for a road trip one. The Two Rivers, WI event on Aug 30 and 31 looks interesting. I've looked at the IKE archives and it seems to have good support from you folks.

I'd like to make this a positive experience so that she would consider others in the future.

What say you? I'm looking at the Lighthouse Inn On The Lake as a place to stay. One or two nights? That's Labor Day weekend. Will this park be super crowded due to the holiday? Difficulty finding parking? What the heck do you do at a kite festival anyway besides the obvious? Will I need lead-based sunscreen?

Thanks,

Bill

goestoeleven

Re: KOLM Questions

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jun 23 2014, 10:44 PM

It's worth going to KOLM. First off, it's a two day event, so you have a couple chances at good winds and weather. Second, you're on the beach! Third (and probably most applicable), you'll have a lot of the most active kite people in the midwest at the event. The Wisconsin Kiters are there, and they put on a great display of show kites and other single line stuff. You'll also have demos by various kite teams, including 180Go!. I'm sure you'd be able to connect with fellow IKE and Wisconsin kite flyers to get some pointers on dual line (or quad) flying.

Edit: I don't know anything about the hotel you mentioned. 180Go! and some of the other flyers have stayed at the Holiday Inn in the past - they have been a sponsor of the event. You might talk to Chow Chong at Unique Flying Objects in Two Rivers. It's his festival and he probably can recommend where to stay if you are going.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Mon, Jun 23 2014, 10:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jun 23 2014, 10:51 PM

Just be aware that this festival is pretty tight on space for public flying. They will likely have a "learn to fly" area, and then there's the big demo area and the show kites area. If the weather is nice, it's quite crowded. But don't let that dissuade you. It is a great festival and worth going to. There's the beach, the kites, the fireworks on Saturday night, hanging out with all the other kiters. It's a good time.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 24 2014, 12:34 PM

basicbill wrote:Hi all,
What say you? I'm looking at the Lighthouse Inn On The Lake as a place to stay. One or two nights? That's Labor Day weekend. Will this park be super crowded due to the holiday? Difficulty finding parking? What the heck do you do at a kite festival anyway besides the obvious? Will I need lead-based sunscreen?

Thanks,

Bill

The Lighthouse Inn is close and has views of the lake.
Although as Steve said, the kiters hang out at the Holiday Inn in Manitowoc (a part sponsor of the festival, and a great staff). Many of us arrive late Friday and leave early Monday.
There's usually some casual, goofing around, indoor kite flying going on at the Holiday Inn in the evenings. It's a good place to hangout with kiters and socialize. Not all the talk is about kites, and non-kiters can enjoy the socializing.

Yes it will be crowded, but if you get to the beach before the festival begins, you should be able to find parking nearby. Otherwise, there's a shuttle from nearby parking lots. The festival will feature lots of big show kites, dual line and quad line fliers performing demos. As Jeff mentioned, space is tight for individual flying, but doable if you're willing to walk down the beach a bit.

There isn't a lot to do besides hang out on the beach, though Two Rivers claims to be where the Ice Cream Sundae was invented. You can get one at the charming museum. The museum is a collection of various local history including some fun memorabilia from Charlton Heston's wife, who was born in Two Rivers. Saturday night usually has fireworks, paper lanterns that you light and float into the sky, and often a giant Telsa Coil.

You'll want sunscreen too, but won't need the lead-based version.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jun 24 2014, 02:08 PM

Glad other people are chiming in . . . I'm a bit brain dead from all the travels.

I think there's usually night flying as well, if there's wind.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Sun, Jun 29 2014, 10:45 PM

I've heard great things about this fest and many of my Wisconsin Kiter friends have asked if we'll attend. Unfortunately, it's a 6.5-hour drive for us, which is a bit far just to be a spectator. My friend and mentor Ann Vondriska has been the announcer for this fest for a long time, so they certainly don't need me for that.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Shari

Postby Shari » Wed, Jul 02 2014, 09:54 AM

This is by far my favorite event and totally worth a 6.5 hr drive. You should go. Chow does an amazing job. As for flying we go early and fly during the morning; it's my favorite time to fly.
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Thu, Jul 03 2014, 11:23 AM

Go! It's kites! Go!
Plus, when the flyers get back to the Holiday Inn, we turn the large atrium into our own indoor flying field. Glider kites, indoor Revs, rc helicopters.... or a fish that goes to the ceiling!
Go!

David

Shari

Postby Shari » Thu, Jul 03 2014, 12:34 PM

and David's drive is longer than 6.5 hrs.....You should go!!!! :vader:
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jul 03 2014, 12:49 PM

So is mine. :D
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Return to “General Discussion”