Everyone OK?

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Trigger

Everyone OK?

Postby Trigger » Mon, Nov 18 2013, 11:49 AM

Just makin sure everyone is ok..

Saw pics of washington and big mikes... my mom lost 4 huge trees. one missed the house by 1 inch.

Hope everyone is ok.

Jim
the other side of the lake

goestoeleven

Re: Everyone OK?

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Nov 18 2013, 07:56 PM

OK here. We lost some smaller branches, but no problems.

Glad the trees missed your Mom and the house. I guess you will have a lot of firewood!

So far everything I've heard is that everyone is OK. Saw the damage at Big Mikes & I hope their insurance covers it.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Nov 20 2013, 08:33 AM

The tornado missed us ... again! A quarter mile away there are damaged homes ... a half mile away there are destroyed homes ... a mile away homes have simply disappeared. I count myself as very lucky.

If you'd like to know a little more about what is going on at a community level and see a really good use for facebook, check out Washington, IL Tornado Recovery.

This YouTube video was taken by one of the neighbors in my subdivision. My back yard abuts up against the trees you see in the video at the end of the street. Unlike my neighbor, I watched it go by from the safety of my basement.

Cheers,
Tom

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Wed, Nov 20 2013, 01:46 PM

+1 for the LUCKY! that was amazingly close! as my son would say.. "good choice" staying downstairs!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Wed, Nov 20 2013, 07:53 PM

OK here. 1/2 mile south of us, straight-line winds blew down a span of seven utility poles, leaving us without electricity for about 30 hours. A mile south of us, a couple of huge trees fell in a yard and a roof lost some shingles. But not a scratch on our property. I've chronicled much of the storm for the Fort Wayne perspective in my blog.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

swannie

Postby swannie » Wed, Nov 20 2013, 08:21 PM

Jeepster wrote:This YouTube video was taken by one of the neighbors in my subdivision. My back yard abuts up against the trees you see in the video at the end of the street. Unlike my neighbor, I watched it go by from the safety of my basement.

Cheers,
Tom

HOLY COW, that's an incredible video! Thanks for sharing. :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Nov 20 2013, 09:02 PM

Jeepster wrote:My back yard abuts up against the trees you see in the video at the end of the street. Unlike my neighbor, I watched it go by from the safety of my basement.

Jeepster, you were very, very, very lucky. Smart choice on the basement. If I understand you correctly, you were even closer than the guy with the camera, maybe by a quarter mile or so. That is scary. Glad you came through it OK. Let us know if you need anything.

Glad to hear that everyone came through with just some downed trees and/or power losses. So far, I think Big Mike's window & truck are the only property damage.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, Nov 21 2013, 01:18 PM

swannie wrote:
Jeepster wrote:This YouTube video was taken by one of the neighbors in my subdivision. My back yard abuts up against the trees you see in the video at the end of the street. Unlike my neighbor, I watched it go by from the safety of my basement.

Cheers,
Tom

HOLY COW, that's an incredible video! Thanks for sharing. :)

Incredibly stupid in my book.

So glad Jeepster and Big Mike are safe. My wife has been in contact with some old friends down there. They were spared, but a mile away everything was flattened. We saw an aerial photo where you can actually see the swirled scarring in the ground.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Nov 21 2013, 02:23 PM

Jeepster, glad you went for the basement rather than the taking a cell phone video. Pretty scary to be so close.

And before Jeff jumps in here--the video was taken with the phone oriented wrong.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, Nov 21 2013, 09:02 PM

Mike wrote:Jeepster, glad you went for the basement rather than the taking a cell phone video. Pretty scary to be so close.

And before Jeff jumps in here--the video was taken with the phone oriented wrong.

My thoughts, exactly!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Nov 21 2013, 11:51 PM

I attributed the incorrect camera usage to the understandable terror that must have driven thoughts of proper composition from the filmer's mind.

;-)

Return to “General Discussion”