Sky Lanterns

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Jeepster

Sky Lanterns

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Jun 02 2013, 09:57 AM

Noticed this announcement in the paper this morning. Sky lanterns, like the ones at the Kites Over Lake Michigan festival, are now illegal in Illinois.

June 1, 2013 ( CHICAGO) -- What goes up must come down - and if it's a floating lantern, it poses a serious danger. That's why the Illinois fire marshal's office has issued an official notice banning sky lanterns in the state.

The pretty but hazardous devices are also sometimes called aerial luminaries.

The notice follows a May 14 vote by the marshal's Consumer Fireworks Review Committee that put sky lanterns on the list of prohibited fireworks.

State Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis says sky lanterns launched during celebrations "can turn into tragedy."

Officials say the lanterns can travel long distances, starting forest or house fires when they finally drift down to earth. Aviation authorities have also expressed concerns the devices can distract or disorient pilots.

Illinois joins many other states with similar bans.

Darn,
Tom

http://joliet.patch.com/groups/announce ... -city-says

Mike

Re: Sky Lanterns

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 03 2013, 08:39 AM

Too bad. They always seemed like they had the potential for damage, but I wonder if there's any reports of actual fires stared by them.

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Wed, Jun 26 2013, 08:05 PM

Very interesting... Had wondered about this with the QC festival, no worries now!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Jun 27 2013, 02:26 AM

Mike wrote:Too bad. They always seemed like they had the potential for damage, but I wonder if there's any reports of actual fires stared by them.

Me too. I'd be surprised. Seems by the time they come down, they'd have stopped burning for quite a while.

Reminds me of the idea that using a cellphone at a gas pump could cause an explosion. I guess from some mysterious spark that the battery would produce. (Never mind all the hot running engines coming in and out of the filling station) Mythbusters tried their hardest to ignite gas vapors with a cellphone and couldn't do it.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 27 2013, 10:29 AM

Mux11 wrote:Very interesting... Had wondered about this with the QC festival, no worries now!

:(

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Jul 03 2013, 07:58 AM

Mike wrote:Too bad. They always seemed like they had the potential for damage, but I wonder if there's any reports of actual fires stared by them.

This info showed up in the morning paper:

LONDON — Top British fire officials are calling on the public to avoid using paper lanterns after one such contraption sparked a huge and costly fire in central England.

The Chief Fire Officers' Association said in a statement Tuesday that paper lanterns — which are heated by candles and launched into the air during celebrations — pose a threat to people and livestock and can cause significant property damage.

Video evidence showed that a big blaze at a plastic recycling plant near Birmingham on Monday was started by a paper lantern that floated over the site, causing about $9 million in damage.

Here's an online article about the problem. Don't think my homeowners insurance would cover a $9 million opps.

Cheers,
Tom

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Wed, Jul 03 2013, 08:07 AM

I always had mixed feelings about these things. They sure look cool in the sky at night. But they always made me feel a bit uneasy, too. What if it was still hot enough to start a fire on landing? And what about the litter it creates, even if it lands safely? I won't be using one of these things, even if it's legal in my state.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Jul 05 2013, 11:09 AM

Article: " Fire officers also claimed that as well as being a fire hazard to everything from thatched roofs to hazardous waste, paper lanterns pose a risk to livestock due the metal wire used to construct them."

What wire? I don't remember any metal wire in ours. Just wood and paper.

And no "candle or fuel cell." Just a piece of cardboard you sort of fan out.

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Sat, Jul 06 2013, 05:29 PM

I had read some posts that talked about the difference between el-Cheepos that you get from ebay vs "real" Chinese lanterns. I know the ones I get from Chow are 100% recyclable and there is quite a difference in the fuel cell.
But they also say to only launch them in wind under 3 mph. This fourth I saw several being launched and we had a steady 10mph breeze. I don't want to set an unneccasary fire especially where it could harm people or property! But I gotta say there is being smart and being stupid when it comes to stuff like this...... YMMV. Cheers!

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Tue, Jul 23 2013, 08:43 AM

I think the Lanterns are multi purpose tools. I live South West of Gary Indiana and if I launch when the wind is just right and the drift into the city, we call it Urban Renewal. So that's a win win.
Blue skies and Steady Winds

Return to “General Discussion”