2008 Roseville- April 5 - Roseville, CA

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Kitehead

2008 Roseville- April 5 - Roseville, CA

Postby Kitehead » Wed, Apr 02 2008, 01:03 PM

This doesn't need to go into the Festivals area but it's so rare I get to go to something and this one should be fun. I thought it worth mentioning.

Also, I'm jealous you all have so many activities.

So, sort of a report from the Far West.

The Roseville Festival has been going on the something like 15 years. It is currently run by Dean Bell and Bob Bell (not related, or if they are they won't admit it) of the team SOHR.

SOHR stands for Sense Of Humor Required.

That gives you an idea about the mood of the fest. :-D

First year for me, and a good opportunity to see some folks I don't see very often. I used to compete against SOHR in Pairs. Steve and Chris from GWTW will be there. Steve's B-Day, and they haven't been to the Bay Area in years. Paul Fouts from S.F. is one of those people who lives close by but we have never me. Anyway, fun socializing.

One part of the fest I'm especially looking forward to is the Mystery Ballet. In typical SOHR style, the worst possible music is selected. I've heard tell of a flyer who had to get through Devo's Whip It in near zero wind with a Vapor. Gives you an idea of the evil. :-D I'm up for it.

I'll give a report when it's done.
Allen Carter

Mike

Re: 2008 Roseville- April 5 - Roseville, CA

Postby Mike » Wed, Apr 02 2008, 01:55 PM

Sounds like fun, take photos!
IKE will be covering 3 states this weekend: Roseville CA, Glenview IL, and West Chester OH.

Here's hoping for good winds and sunny skies for all.
It will be nice to hear from everyone and see pictures next week.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Apr 02 2008, 02:00 PM

Mike wrote:Sounds like fun, take photos!
IKE will be covering 3 states this weekend: Roseville CA, Glenview IL, and West Chester OH.

Here's hoping for good winds and sunny skies for all.
It will be nice to hear from everyone and see pictures next week.

Only 3? Must be a slow week. :-)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Apr 02 2008, 10:05 PM

Allen that does sound fun. Not that I do mystery ballet, but "Whip It" in low/no wind. :shock: Thats just CRUEL! :lol:

As Mike stated "Heres hoping for GOOD winds and clear skies for all" this weekend. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Mon, Apr 07 2008, 05:51 PM

What a nice day!

The wind in Roseville is like a box of chocolates. [;)]

Didn't matter. A good bunch of people to spend the day with.

Bob, Dean and the whole SOHR* crew put on a great event. Their generosity is humbling.

Mystery Ballet was a crap shoot. Some folks got no wind. Some got too much for the chosen kite. But, there were like ten people that went out there for almost certain public humiliation regardless. SOHR is what it's all about. It was loads of fun. :mrblue: I pandered to the juges and won. They were all kids, so I had a pretty kite and flew back and forth right in front of em. Old Skool Rules!

In the past, the legendarily bad Mystery Ballet music CD was the prize. This year they went several steps further and had thirty or so mystery numbers on an iPod shuffle, so that no one could possibly know what song was coming next. Beauty is, the iPod was the prize. [8D]
[url="http://picasaweb.google.com/kitehead/SomeKites/photo#5186186503043286562"]Image[/url]

There was also an unofficial prize. At dinner Dano presented me with a big bottle of this:

[url="http://picasaweb.google.com/kitehead/SomeKites/photo#5186181340492596738"]Image[/url]

I take it as a compliment. I think. [:o)]

A very good brew, BTW.

I didn't take any photos, I was busy swapping kites all day. Never seemed to have the right one for the conditions. :oops:

Rather than a Mass Ascension there was a Mass Blue Moon pile. (at that point in the day few of the kites in the pile could have flown much)

46 Blue Moon kites. Some of these people are hard core. :up:
Last edited by Kitehead on Mon, Apr 07 2008, 05:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Carter

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 07 2008, 07:19 PM

sounds like fun. I like the idea of the mystery fly and kids being the judges.
We should try that at one of our fests.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Apr 08 2008, 11:23 PM

Kitehead wrote:What a nice day!

There was also an unofficial prize. At dinner Dano presented me with a big bottle of this:

[url="http://picasaweb.google.com/kitehead/SomeKites/photo#5186181340492596738"]Image[/url]

I take it as a compliment. I think. [:o)]

A very good brew, BTW.

Agreed, Bastard Ale is quite tasty!! Love the name so much, I even have a riding jersey with the logo on it. Which is by the way how I found out about the brew.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “General Discussion”