Page 1 of 1

Rotor Part 2

Posted: Mon, Jun 04 2007, 09:16 AM
by Drachenschwanz
The bigger spool/lawnmower looking kite needs to be re-worked with bigger spars so I decided to start with a simpler rotor and see if I could actually get something to fly...It did! Now it just needs to be tricked out with lights.

The plans came from Anthony's Kite Workshop. It was a little odd making the pockets for the disks the way he suggested but it sure cut down on the amount of ripstop, less than 1 square yard total! A good, quick kite to make with scraps.


Image



Image

Re: Rotor Part 2

Posted: Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:02 AM
by Mike
I'm gonna have to make one of those in IKE colors. Is this the plan you used?
http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/kites ... ufo_build/

Re: Rotor Part 2

Posted: Mon, Jun 04 2007, 12:36 PM
by Drachenschwanz
Yup, that's it. I changed a few things on mine:

1) Instead of taping the axis spar to the "wing" I made a pocked out of the seam between the two colors used for that oval.

2) Instead of cutting a slit in the "ear" I hot cut the fabric down the center and overlapped them by a quarter inch before sewing that oval. That way there was a natural gap in the middle that the wing fit through. Then I tacked the left over flaps with a few drops of super glue instead of using ripstop tape. The corners could probably be sewed instead of glued but there was this really cool breeze outside....

3) The ear has a tendency to flatten out on the wing in a stiff wind so I added some weight to the tips. Then, when you spin it, the ear pops out perpendicular to the wing. I'll replace them with LEDs as time allows.

4) One more thing. This is pretty lightweight so be sure to make your ovals with the brass ferrules on OPPOSITE sides of the kite, otherwise one side will be heavier and it probably won't fly.


Image

Re: Rotor Part 2

Posted: Mon, Jun 04 2007, 01:13 PM
by Draftnik
Looks good Rick!